explore 4 is $500 more

SeaBands

Others here have reported prices higher with Explore4 package.
For those in the US, would there be anything wrong with a strategy of booking the higher price when the Explore4 offer is on, with the intention of taking advantage of the price drop after the promotion ends and the headline price reduces accordingly? And if there's no price drop by final payment date and the price is still too high, just cancelling the cruise?

For those in the US, would there be anything wrong with a strategy of booking the higher price when the Explore4 offer is on, with the intention of taking advantage of the price drop after the promotion ends and the headline price reduces accordingly? And if there's no price drop by final payment date and the price is still too high, just cancelling the cruise?

Others on this board have reported that when they tried this they lost the Explore4 package with the reduced prices. To be sure, some have reported they were able to keep it, but I would not count on this.

DaveOKC

Others on this board have reported that when they tried this they lost the Explore4 package with the reduced prices. To be sure, some have reported they were able to keep it, but I would not count on this.
So this sounds like it would be fine for those who want to get a booking in, despite the current inflated prices, and who aren't terribly bothered about whether they actually get the Explore4 package so long as they ultimately get the reduced price?

So this sounds like it would be fine for those who want to get a booking in, despite the current inflated prices, and who aren't terribly bothered about whether they actually get the Explore4 package so long as they ultimately get the reduced price?

Sounds right to me. If you don't mind paying the higher price and getting the package, go for it. One thing to consider - if you have to end up doing a cancel and rebook (to get the lower prices) there could be costs in this, such as losing deposits, losing already bought insurance, losing your exact cabin, etc. Just be sure you know the issues if you do this.

I was lucky on my last cancel and rebook (3 weeks later). I ended up with lower prices and a bit more OBC than before. But this may or may not happen for you.

DaveOKC

All but the dessert they waited about 20 mins then brought it. Then they called a

little later & came to get the dishes.

Might be an option if the reservation they give with Explore4 is at an inconvenient time and you can't change it.

Edited by OVgirl

I did not realise that the Pinnacle Dinner could be delivered to the stateroom.

Were all courses delivered at the same time?

MIght be an option if the reservation they give with Explore4 is at an inconvenient time and you can't change it.

Yes you can, I changed it twice

All but the dessert they waited about 20 mins then brought it. Then they called a

little later & came to get the dishes.

Thanks for your reply.

Did you tip when the meal was delivered, or when the dishes were collected? (Tipping is not normal where we live).

I thought the Alaskan cruise prices seemed high right now, compared to last time I booked, but I figured it was because it is still early (looking for May) hopefully they go down a bit.

Last cruise we did was end of May 2013 to Alaska, roundtrip Vancouver, booked in October and we got our Full Ocean View cabins for $850 pp including all taxes and fees.

Right now it looks like the same cruise for end of May again will be $1540 pp on the Noordam or $1400 on the Volendam.

PS - I also hate the new online booking system. This is going to be a pain in the butt to price out this May cruise for 14 family members who are planning on going.

Edited by Langley BC

We just booked an Australia trip for January 2016. The price we paid was 2400/pp. BUT, it included the explore 4, and 700 OBC. Now, I have been watching the same trip for 2014, and 2015. The CHEAPEST it has dropped to is $1999.00 (And thats within the 90 day point). So I am happy with the price, and now have the luxury of knowing that we will not have to watch our bar bill while on board, and the auto gratuity is basically paid.

What I am trying to say here is that the Explore 4 had no bering on us booking the trip but it sure as hell is a nice perk!

PS: Could we wait until 80 days out and then book? Sure, but then we have the whole issue of expensive airline fares and maybe not the stateroom we want...

Edited by FredT

Our original booking for our March 2015 cruise did not offer the EXPLORE 4 package. Our TA called HAL to confirm that it is now offered for our sailing. We were able to get the Explore 4 package added at the same price at our original booking category. CELEBRATION!!!!!

Edited by qsuzi

I Love the EX- 4

My recent trip 8/24 - 9/7/14 Amsterdam AK. cruise went down in price when the explore 4 was added.

I do not drink alcohol we got water, Ginger Ale, real hot chocolate & coffee.

I never used the max amount.

We had the Pinnacle dinner delivered to our room It worked our great for us:)

The drunks I saw on the trip were paying with their room key!

I'm another one who never saw anyone mention having a Pinnacle dinner delivered to their cabin. Were you by any chance in the PH? Who did you see to make this happen?

I'm another one who never saw anyone mention having a Pinnacle dinner delivered to their cabin. Were you by any chance in the PH? Who did you see to make this happen?

Thanks. I'm guessing this is probably a PH perk.

You know that's what I thought also. But last year I said the service was different between the Neptune suites & the PH. And a lot of CC posters informed me that "the service is no different"! The only difference was the size of the room.