Food Preferences - what would you like to see improved????

skiiergirl

You may not like my response, but unrealistic expectations will cause disappointment -- that ISN'T something that the cruise line can resolve.

Just like I don't need people telling me 'well it is a vacation and over indulging is just fine for a week' and there are those who have stated that in one way or the other. That overindulge takes weeks to turn around. For some that overindulge NEVER leaves. Not me, since I won't overindulge and it doesn't negatively impact my cruise.

Paulette, it may not be intentional but your posts always come across as if you are the judge and jury for all topics and all CC posters. You don't appear to value anyone else's opinions or input if it is different than yours. Just let others have fun with a discussion sometimes.

LOL .. ok so I'm probably gonna be called a racist for this (and what doesn't get a white person called 'racist' nowadays) .. but I remember this being a black people thing.

All my years of working as a server and later a cook, I remember black folks always specifying and getting tacky over their food touching on a plate .. apparently its a big no-no! :eek::D

So yes, Nemo .. I have heard of this before!

IDK if there's a race connotation but I'm as white bread as they come. :D

For me, I prefer to eat my food one item at a time. I don't want blood from the meat in my potatoes. Or sauce from the meat in my veggies.

Paulette, it may not be intentional but your posts always come across as if you are the judge and jury for all topics and all CC posters. You don't appear to value anyone else's opinions or input if it is different than yours. Just let others have fun with a discussion sometimes.

The finger you are poking is being poked into a very tough skinned individual. Sorry you as the reader read my posts that way....that is the problem with a message board, there is no 'real tonality'.

Everyone has their opinions on everything. ENJOY yours as well.

1. Pub food in the pub.

2. Apple pie and plain cheesecake in the MDR.

3. More places to eat without having to pay extra! On Carnival and NCL there are so many extra little places to grab a meal, but not on RC. We don't pay for specialty restaurants, so that limits us to the MDR and promenade cafe, because WJ is gross! I never found 1 decent thing to eat there!

4. Better biscuits with the biscuits & gravy. Not hockey pucks! Real, warm flaky, soft buttery biscuits! Especially if you're going to cruise out of southern ports, where people know what a good biscuit should look & taste like.

Jack my cruise rate up $10PP or 20PP and give us ONE REAL midnight buffet per cruise. Sure it's peak gluttony and wasteful, but it was pretty awesome and a bygone cruising tradition.

Not for me. I eat too much as it is, I don't need to be stuffing myself late at night then be so uncomfortable i can't get to sleep.

On many ships, it is.

Greek Salad used to be a daily lunch staple in the Windjammers.

However, on my last four cruises it was not daily, maybe twice a week.

2014 Sep, Vision of the Sea

2013 Sep, Allure of the Sea

2013 Dec, Brilliance of the Seas

2012 Oct, Vision of the Seas

I have been wondering if this is one of the items they have cut back...

Edited by Trainman-2

Nemo, I think you helped me figure out the problem I had with dinners on my recent B2b on the Brilliance OTS --Baltics then the TA. I didn't find many of my dinner choices appealing especially when the items were over the mashed potatoes. We are back again on the Brilliance in a few weeks for the repositioning cruise and will ask the waiter if they could not stack the food! Thanks for mentioning this. Better coffee, tea, desserts would be nice and no more "ice cream soup" --LOL Mary Lou

1. Pub food in the pub.

2. Apple pie and plain cheesecake in the MDR.

3. More places to eat without having to pay extra! On Carnival and NCL there are so many extra little places to grab a meal, but not on RC. We don't pay for specialty restaurants, so that limits us to the MDR and promenade cafe, because WJ is gross! I never found 1 decent thing to eat there!

4. Better biscuits with the biscuits & gravy. Not hockey pucks! Real, warm flaky, soft buttery biscuits! Especially if you're going to cruise out of southern ports, where people know what a good biscuit should look & taste like.

I hadn't thought of apple pie, but that would be wonderful.....warm apple pie with chocolate ice cream on it....oops, I think I need an afternoon snack right now.

I am not a biscuit person (with or without gravy), so I will take everyone's word for that.

We also are not into the specialty dining options, although we did do Izumi on our last cruise because Japanese food is not on any menu in the MDR and we go out for Japanese food at home....and it was well worth the money.

Let me ask, what exactly do they serve in the pubs now, if not 'pub food'? I guess I never noticed or don't visit the pubs much....so I thought I would ask.

I hadn't thought of apple pie, but that would be wonderful.....warm apple pie with chocolate ice cream on it....oops, I think I need an afternoon snack right now.

apple pie with CHOCOLATE ice cream ??? :eek:

Yeppers, I was thinking the exact same thing! So much for being all swank and everything. :D

Thank you for agreeing with me......I wouldn't have wanted people to feel I was being disrespectful to vanilla ice cream in some way -- I just don't like it as much as chocolate.

What did you mean when you wrote "So much for being all swank and everything"?

Thank you for agreeing with me......I wouldn't have wanted people to feel I was being disrespectful to vanilla ice cream in some way -- I just don't like it as much as chocolate.

What did you mean when you wrote "So much for being all swank and everything"?

LOL - Take back my post - completely!!! I just reread your previous comments and discovered that most deserts are primarily a vehicle for serving chocolate. :D

No, I am a purist - vanilla ice cream or nothing on apple pie. But, I also do not put chocolate on cheesecake. I might make it with a chocolate crust now and then, but not on top. Chocolate is normally the way to go for me, but I just discovered my limits. :eek:

LOL - Take back my post - completely!!! I just reread your previous comments and discovered that most deserts are primarily a vehicle for serving chocolate. :D

No, I am a purist - vanilla ice cream or nothing on apple pie. But, I also do not put chocolate on cheesecake. I might make it with a chocolate crust now and then, but not on top. Chocolate is normally the way to go for me, but I just discovered my limits. :eek:

Purist that you may be -- you should give 'chocolate chili' a try (if of course you like chili --if not don't worry about it) ....it is outstanding. It is the original recipe of Cincinnati chili that was used originally by Skyline Chili.

People may say that we have hijacked this thread in some way and I don't want anyone to point a finger at me in some insulting way -- so maybe we need to return to the topic at hand. (LOL)

Not for me. I eat too much as it is, I don't need to be stuffing myself late at night then be so uncomfortable i can't get to sleep.

Ok so don't. I've never eaten so much I couldn't sleep. It can be a feast for the eyes and not just the stomach.

I used to love the Midnight Buffets of the past .. but I always wondered about the waste.

More people were there just kinda gawking or taking pics of the ice sculptures and watermelon carvings .. and, still full from dinner, just taking a little plate with a couple tastes of things.

I can see why they did away with them, though would still love to see just one Midnight Buffet on the longer cruises.

Did all that food not eaten get thrown away? Or fed to crew? Im curious.

I am not a biscuit person (with or without gravy), so I will take everyone's word for that.

We also are not into the specialty dining options, although we did do Izumi on our last cruise because Japanese food is not on any menu in the MDR and we go out for Japanese food at home....and it was well worth the money.

Let me ask, what exactly do they serve in the pubs now, if not 'pub food'? I guess I never noticed or don't visit the pubs much....so I thought I would ask.

Alcohol. They do not serve food in the pubs. I guess that some people wish that they would.

:)

Real sugar free desserts should be available. Baked goods are carbohydrates that become sugar.. Thus for people who have issues with diabetes a so called sugar free cookie/cake/pie is not really acceptable.

they have all sorts of those jiggly-Jello-puddingy things that are sugar free and not baked (with carbs like flour, etc) .. what kinda things would u suggest?

they have all sorts of those jiggly-Jello-puddingy things that are sugar free and not baked (with carbs like flour, etc) .. what kinda things would u suggest?

Unfortunately sugar free jello/pudding/mouse are rarely available on RCCL ships and would be greatly appreciated. They usually have "sugar free" white flower cookies, cake made with white flower and white flower pies with sugar free toppings. White flower is basically a starch that when metabolized is called a complex carbohydrate that breaks down into a sugar. People with diabetes issues, in order to maintain adequate blood sugar levels and an appropriate A1C should generally avoid those types of carbohydrates. This is especially true for people on insulin therapy or being maintained on oral hypoglycemics.

Unfortunately sugar free jello/pudding/mouse are rarely available on RCCL ships and would be greatly appreciated. They usually have "sugar free" white flower cookies, cake made with white flower and white flower pies with sugar free toppings. White flower is basically a starch that when metabolized is called a complex carbohydrate that breaks down into a sugar. People with diabetes issues, in order to maintain adequate blood sugar levels and an appropriate A1C should generally avoid those types of carbohydrates. This is especially true for people on insulin therapy or being maintained on oral hypoglycemics.

yes .. totally understand ..my partners a diabetic too and on our last cruise on Explorer he found many of the mousse type desserts both in WJ and in MDR that suited him ... i.e. not baked desserts .. im sure one night he even had sugar free ice cream in MDR too after he asked our waiter.

he even commented that he was pleased with the selection of desserts he was able to have .. and avoided the cake-type things . Hes type 2 but was able to satisfy his sweet tooth (granted, while still looking longingly at what the rest of us were having! )

Real sugar free desserts should be available. Baked goods are carbohydrates that become sugar.. Thus for people who have issues with diabetes a so called sugar free cookie/cake/pie is not really acceptable.

At dinner in the MDR there is always a sugar free dessert choice. Most are very good. There also used to be those options in the WJ, but I have not seen them lately. But you could ask.