The P&O Peacocks

richleeds

Just like to say I have always found the Headliners to be very pleasant and happy to chat with passengers. Don't know where the OP was when he found them otherwise?

Maybe it's an industry thing. I believe you are ex cabin crew and you probably notice things about crew on the flight that other passengers are oblivious to.

Maybe someone on Ventura who works in retail back home might notice something in the onboard shops that goes straight over my head.

My background is theatre and maybe that's why I notice it more.

But what did you notice. I actually spent a very happy hour with three of the Headliners on Oriana, chatting about this, that and the other. why do you call them peacocks? I have never found them like that.

What has my background got to do with finding people nice to talk to?

I find that some performers are far better than others, we have seen most of the shows several times on various ships and have found that some of the performances have been outstanding and others mediocre, there appears to be little quality control over the performances. I think that it is unfair to say that P&O are worse than other lines because you can get a poor group of performers on any line just as you can get good groups on any line.

My point was rather than variation in the performers (which I agree would be unfair were I to use that as the basis of my comments on P&O shows) it is actually the quality of the productions which I find not so good on P&O. This is down to the production company (agency) and presumably the time and money spent on production, staging and rehearsal costs as determined by the cruise line. I'm well aware of variations in showteams but it is the shows themselves which I find wanting and lacking in imagination, creativity, demanding harmony work and choreography in comparion to what we have seen on other ships. We love many aspects of P&O cruises but the entertainment just doesn't figure as an outstanding feature imo.

But what did you notice. I actually spent a very happy hour with three of the Headliners on Oriana, chatting about this, that and the other. why do you call them peacocks? I have never found them like that.

What has my background got to do with finding people nice to talk to?

Think you are getting yourself confused. I have never said your background has anything to do with finding nice people to talk to?!

A long time ago......when i was dancing for a living the OP's comments may have been true, i was offered cruise liner work, it was a standing joke at that time it, didn't matter how bad you were as because of the client base age, they were either deaf, partially sighted or immobile ;)so you had a captive audience!

How times have changed, and i would (if i was still treading the boards) give my right eye to be a part of any cruise line entertainment crew.

I would also like to add my uncle up until his sudden death last year was a guest entertainer on P & O, and he was most definitely not a peacock :)

This is very remiss of you, you should know by now that cruises are not for enjoyment. :( you are supposed to pay thousands of pounds and then go and find loads of things to moan about. Some people.

I am going to take a notebook on my next cruise, very shortly, and write down all the faults I can find.

Only I am not sure what I will do with the rest of the book after I have filled the first line.?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Keep a note of your bar bill? ;)

They are lucky on P&O that the shows are all they have to do. On Oceania Cruises (as an example) the small theatre co. girls and guys also have to act as ent. officers and run the sports tournaments (shuffleboard, golf etc), quizzes, teach crafts and host solos meets etc.

They are lucky on P&O that the shows are all they have to do. On Oceania Cruises (as an example) the small theatre co. girls and guys also have to act as ent. officers and run the sports tournaments (shuffleboard, golf etc), quizzes, teach crafts and host solos meets etc.

On the very early Airtours cruises they worked in on board retail during the day!

I've always found the "Stars" to be very nice and, if anything, quite humble. Being an ex-musician I've often had conversations with entertainers and find them anything but peacocky (if that's even a word).

They're just hard working young people trying to make a living. And good luck to them!

Mike

I've always found the "Stars" to be very nice and, if anything, quite humble. Being an ex-musician I've often had conversations with entertainers and find them anything but peacocky (if that's even a word).

They're just hard working young people trying to make a living. And good luck to them!

Mike

Good to know about your previous foray in the world of music - You and Nigel (my OH) will have lots to chat about at the meet & greet on Azura next month!

Gx

I have always enjoyed the Headliners shows and also found them to be very pleasant young people to chat to. They work hard, see the world and give pleasure to lots of people with their singing and dancing. They stay upright in a force 10 in the Bay of Biscay when we can scarcely walk straight! What's not to like?

If you are the principal dancer on the ship then you are entitled to think of yourself as a star. Show business is all about self-confidence and comparisons with other performers, so good luck to them. You could be the best in a room, a ship, a country, or the world, and in each case you would be the star of that particular situation.

Knowing a little bit about theatre and knowing lots of pro's who would never audition for cruise ship work - the very thought! - the pecking order for work as a dancing/singing artiste goes something like this....

1. West End

2. Major UK tour - Wicked, We Will Rock you, etc

3. Regional tour - Joseph, Blood Brothers etc

4. Summer season/panto

Then way down the bottom of the pecking order

100. Cruise ship

So does anyone else find it highly amusing that the singers and dancers walk round the ship when off duty like they have just won an Oscar? They strut around wanting you to know they are the cruise ship Headliners, often wearing their Headliners clothing but generally just making it obvious they are the "stars".

To be honest these artistes have average at best vocals and are average dancers hence why the only work they could get is on a cruise ship, though they would have you believe they turned Cameron Mackintosh down for the role of Eponine in Les Mis!

Passengers don't help as you see them gush and woo all over the Headliners as they leave the theatre telling them how wonderful they were. I can only presume most cruise passengers don't get to the theatre much on dry land.

I'm not knocking the shows, the shows are the best you will get..... on a cruise ship, but that is not a very high bar at all, it just amuses me the way the performing peacocks strut around the ship.

I haven't been on here for months but so glad I popped by tonight because you have made me cry with laughter at your very true comments.

If you think they are peacocks when strutting around passenger decks you should see them in their PJ's at breakfast in the Wardroom when every one else is in uniform and has been at work for an hour or 2 already. Or maybe at dinner when again all the officers are required to wear the correct uniform but they seem to think wearing little more than underwear is acceptable and no they aren't in between shows and in costume.

God love them all as much as they love themselves. :D:D:D

I haven't been on here for months but so glad I popped by tonight because you have made me cry with laughter at your very true comments.

If you think they are peacocks when strutting around passenger decks you should see them in their PJ's at breakfast in the Wardroom when every one else is in uniform and has been at work for an hour or 2 already. Or maybe at dinner when again all the officers are required to wear the correct uniform but they seem to think wearing little more than underwear is acceptable and no they aren't in between shows and in costume.

God love them all as much as they love themselves. :D:D:D

Lol, how funny!

Good to know they keep up their peacock persona below deck as well as upstairs, they are consistent if nothing else.

Attention! Peacocks on parade!