overcrowded Alaska

zephyrella14

I was looking at ships scheduled to be in ports during my scheduled stops(Aug. 10-20) and it's REDICULOUS!! were talking 4-7 ships at once at each stop. How bad is it really? I'm imagining thousands of people in these small little villages and I'm considering canceling and rebooking for September. Is September any better?

I was looking at ships scheduled to be in ports during my scheduled stops(Aug. 10-20) and it's REDICULOUS!! were talking 4-7 ships at once at each stop. How bad is it really? I'm imagining thousands of people in these small little villages and I'm considering canceling and rebooking for September. Is September any better?

Keep in mind that there might be 7 ships in port on one day but not at the same time.

Our cruise took us to Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway and Victoria this last August. Each stop had 6000 to 10000 passengers and 3 to 4 cruise ships.

Skagway with 10,000 cruise pax was busy, but it did not feel crowded. The parking lot at Medenhall Glacier (Juneau) was crowded with tour busses. These "little villages" rely on tourists and have figured out how to handle several thousand people efficiently.

It's more like mid-morning at Disneyland on a Wednesday in early October. (Maybe not even that bad)

I looked at port loading on http://www.cruisett.com and September is not much different than August.

Edited by lax19

Yes, there could be thousands of cruise folks in towns during the cruise season. I think the people who really notice it are the ones that do nothing but walk around town. Although there are others out whale watching or glacier trekking, the huge numbers aren’t as noticeable. The real Alaska isn’t in town.

September usually has more rain and definitely less light. Wouldn’t be a good trade for me.

Thank you for your responses. Your all right, I need to calm down and just deal. I just don't do well in large crowds and I had a moment. I do have excursions planned at all stops except Ketchikan... So I'm sure I'll be OK. Thanks again.

Rent a car. Get outside of the tourist trap in downtown Ketchikan. Plenty to see and do once you get away from the streetwalkers.

Just returned from September 8th 7 night sailing of Norwegian Sun. We were alone at Icy Straight Point, one Holland America ship with us in Juneau, and in Skagway and Ketchikan, there was a smaller ship (Princess) with us. Didn't see Holland America ship.

This is a great idea! Thank you.

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/Alaska_USA/335-Ketchikan/August_2015/

Zephyrella

Check your exact dates for each port here and I think you will see there are different times of the day when you might be the only ship in port. I too was a little worried when I first looked and saw 4 ships in port but for a lot of the time we are there there will only be 2 ships and sometimes we will be the only ship in port!

Looking at the schedule made me feel a lot better and if there is anytime when there are a lot of ships in port and the towns feel really crowded I figure you can always hibernate on the ship for a few hours where it should be deserted!

I have been to Alaska numerous times when there have been lots of ships in port. To be honest --- and I hope that readers don't take this the wrong way --- I don't really notice crowds EXCEPT, when people with their coupon books gather in the middle of walkways instead of moving aside so people can walk through town.

As stated by others, staggering port times and people taking excursions help thin the crowds.

Keep in mind, that although the cruise ships cruise until the middle of September, many tourist things stop around labor day....this year the dog sledding on most of the glaciers stopped in late August due to weather...No way to predict that...September is a great time in Alaska, but make sure, if it is on a bucket list, that you arrange the cruise with plenty of leeway time to partake in those opportunities...Also know, that less than 1,000,000 people live here....the rest are all tourists....:)

Another Ketchikan alternative is to take a $2 city bus out to Totem Bight State Park. I've attached a link and you can print out your own guide to the 14 totem poles in the park. http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/totembgh.htm On your way back from the state park, you can even stop off at Wal-Mart if you need to pick up any extra supplies. Besides the city bus, usually there is a complimentary bus that the cruise lines run for their employees. We've hopped aboard the cruise shuttle at Wal-Mart before & rode with the employees back to the ship. Got to know some of the crew on that little excursion.

There is another short walk right above Creek Street called "The Married Man's Path". It was the pathway the married men took so they wouldn't be seen as they made their way to town to visit the "ladies of the night".

The majority of those stores in town are owned by the cruise lines anyway and most carry the same cliché stuff. If the desire to purchase something truly made in Alaska, the item will have a little sticker on it that says "Made in Alaska". But I go to Alaska to see Alaska & all of it's beauty, not the inside of some store.:rolleyes: And it certainly doesn't require big $$$ to take a walk out in nature.

We just returned from a 7 night cruise aboard the Solstice. It was our second Alaska cruise. We have been to Alaska many times for business. You are correct in your observations regarding the number of cruise ships in ports during the busy summer season, but it is possible to enjoy the towns and beautiful scenery without being overwhelmed by crowds.

This year we decided not to do any excursions. Instead, I purchased a book (Amazon) on cruise ship walking tours by Julianne Chase Patton. We followed the walking tours for Ketchikan and Juneau and left the crowds behind. In Skagway we walked to Yakutania Point, a lovely walk along the coastline with picture perfect views. In Ketchikan we watched a multitude of salmon spawning, walked along the fishing docks, and visited a superb totem pole museum (free to veterans.) In most of the ports the cruisers congregate along the streets with the tourist shops. It doesn't take much effort to get off the beaten path. If you have never been to Alaska, treat yourself to one flightseeing excursion (Taku excursion out of Juneau is a good choice) to better appreciate Alaska's grandeur and immense wilderness. Take a whale watching excursion or go fishing to get a view of how much the sea impacts SE Alaska.

Alaska is big; Alaska is wild; Alaska is amazing. Enjoy.

Crowds are aimlessly wandering and shopping. Is that your priority for visiting Alaska? If you plan some tours, they are limited capacity, so no issue. But frankly, if you aren't doing tours, I don't see much reason for visiting Alaska- if significantly higher priced compared to the Caribbean. :)

What is your concern with "crowds"? Simple to get away from the downtown shoppers.

And sorry, no, ships are still cruising Alaska in Sept. with other factors involved with more rain and far less daylight, cooler temps.

Crowds are aimlessly wandering and shopping. Is that your priority for visiting Alaska? If you plan some tours, they are limited capacity, so no issue. But frankly, if you aren't doing tours, I don't see much reason for visiting Alaska- if significantly higher priced compared to the Caribbean. :)

What is your concern with "crowds"? Simple to get away from the downtown shoppers.

And sorry, no, ships are still cruising Alaska in Sept. with other factors involved with more rain and far less daylight, cooler temps.

My priority is to see Alaska, ive never been. Ive been to the carribean, ive been all over the world, (i was a flight attendant for a few years) I'm asking my question because I've never cruised before, I've never been to a ship port before, I have zero experience with ship ports specifically the Alaska ports.so I'm thinking thousands of people in one port at one time, no way!!!. I don't like crowds, I'll deal with it on the ship, because really the ship is only my way to get to Alaska, the most affordable way for me to get to alaska at the moment..I can eat pizza for 10 days, or I can grab a ton of apples from the buffet and feed on that for a week, I don't care about crowded dining rooms. Thank to all for your input :) some of you have given me good suggestions. I have plans for other ports but Ketchikan, I'll have to do more research.

I have plans for other ports but Ketchikan, I'll have to do more research.

Ketchikan has a Walmart and a McDonalds

Lindblad / National Geographic has scheduled cruises through the first part of September. At significantly higher prices but you will see some of southeast Alaska.

You could also really see southeast by bouncing around on the Marine Highway

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/index.shtml

it's our bus. utilitarian and not really inexpensive but you will dock at more than three towns. it follows a mariner's schedule that doesn't revolve around shopping. it will not have 3000 of your closest friends onboard but you will get to travel the traditional inside passage with locals (they all lie, don't believe a word they say).

May might be less crowded.

It will not feel crowded as long as you stay out of the shops on the main tourist streets. Most people plan excursions and you can too. Ship tours will be more crowded than private tours. You can take walking tours, hikes, just walk around town.

In Ketchikan walk up to Cape Fox Lodge and back down. Pick up a map at the visitors center. Or take the bus out to Totem Bight and back. it is really easy to get away from the crowds.

My wife and I took an "Uncruise" aboard the Safari Endeavor in early August. 86 passengers on a round-trip from Juneau and only saw three other cruise ships during the entire trip. Two full days in Glacier Bay, an awesome visit to Endicott Arm, and some beautiful scenery along the way in SE Alaska. When we arrived back in Juneau, we spent some time watching the long lines form as the Celebrity Millenium unloaded. Looked like "fast pass" time at Disney World. Yes it cost more but it sure was worth it.

Have to say you need to get away from the shopping areas in the ports and really see the scenic wonders of Alaska.

I agree with the other posters' comments. Get away from the main shopping streets and book independent excursions or do walking tours that get you out into the scenery. Once you are out a little you will have much of the beautiful scenery to yourself. Then when you come back the stores and streets will be less crowded as many folks have already boarded back onto the ships. Then you can pop in and pick up a quick souvenir without the crowds.

I don't get the people who go to Alaska and all they do is walk around a few touristy streets. To me, Alaska is the wide open stunning scenery. But, to each his own. The fact that those people are in town shopping makes my whale watching trip less crowded.

If you're going to Alaska, go out and SEE ALASKA! The port towns/cities are cute, but the action is away from town. Yes, the excursions are expensive - even when you do independent ones (we only do independent ones) but consider the tourist season is from late April (though mostly May) until mid-September, they make the bulk of their living during cruise season. My husband is known for being pretty cheap/pretty frugal, but he's willing to bite the bullet and do good excursions while there. It's the only way to really see the real frontier of Alaska.

You can walk the streets of the cute port cities in that couple of hours before you need to be on board the ship if you wish.

I hear ya! My husband and I are NOT crowd people (I mean, who really is? But some deal better than others). We just got off our first cruise and it was with Princess to Alaska. I believe there were 4 ships altogether at each port, but we took private excursions (less than 10 people total on each one) that got us away from the tourist trap shops and crowds. I would definitely recommend doing that or renting a car to get out and about. In Ketchikan we did a kayak tour with Southeast Sea Kayaks which I highly recommend. They were fab! We were only in Ketchikan for 4 hours anyway so the tour ate up most of that and then we browsed Creek Street and some of the town and headed back to the ship.

We did a September cruise and had fantastic weather. Sunny and high 50s/60s (people blow my mind when they say to avoid May and September because of cooler temps..you're going to ALASKA. It's not freezing, not even close. Throw your North Face on and slap a smile on your face!) except for Ketchikan where it was raining but it's one of the rainiest spots on the planet so we expected it. It was pretty foggy out at sea so even if it was daylight until 10PM it wouldn't have mattered. We enjoyed our balcony comfortably every single day and getting dark at 8PM did not bother us or affect our trip at all. We chose September to avoid family travel time (summer) and for the price.

I say go for it and enjoy it. Get out of town for most of the time in port and you'll be fine. Even when we got back into town after our excursions it didn't feel terribly overcrowded, but perhaps we missed most of it while we were out.