Captain's Circle change?

DandDM

There was a post in my roll call that at the end of the year, Captain's Circle levels would be based solely on nights cruised and no longer on number of cruises.

I expected this to be a big discussion topic, but I can't find any threads on the subject!

So my guess is that the post on the roll call was incorrect?

Thanks for the quick replies! I'm guessing the poster had an ulterior motive - the cruise is a one nighter, which gets some folks excited about earning points.

Edited by DandDM

There was a post in my roll call that at the end of the year, Captain's Circle levels would be based solely on nights cruised and no longer on number of cruises.

I expected this to be a big discussion topic, but I can't find any threads on the subject!

So my guess is that the post on the roll call was incorrect?

That does not sound right. We just made Ruby with an 8 day British Isles cruise after previous cruises of 10 and 7 days. Princess has been sending us material telling us only 2 more cruises to make the next level and urging us to take 3 or 4 day cruises.

The post is on the roll call for the Sept 20 golden sailing; I went back and re-read: "I heard from a reliable source that they have a friend who works for princess head office."

I feel silly for my original post now!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The post is on the roll call for the Sept 20 golden sailing; I went back and re-read: "I heard from a reliable source that they have a friend who works for princess head office."

"I have a friend, whose cousin knows someone..."

Carnival changed their program a couple of years ago from cruises taken to number of days sailed. I was 3 cruises away from their top millennium tier & was knocked way down because of the number of days I've sailed(lots of 4 days). The way they do it now I will most likely never get to that level.

I can see Princess doing it eventually because they are now offering shorter sailing.

Edited by victory2020

Don't feel silly at all!

Thanks for the chuckle.

Mike:)

Don't feel silly at all!

Thanks for the chuckle.

Mike:)

And once in a while a rumor from an "insider" actually turns out to be true but there's no way to know if & when that may happen. ;)

We are only Ruby level. We will make Platinum after our Panama Canal sailing. We will be Platinum by both number of cruises and number of days. I would imagine that, when we eventually make Elite, it will also work out to be by both number of cruises and number of days.

We are only Ruby level. We will make Platinum after our Panama Canal sailing. We will be Platinum by both number of cruises and number of days. I would imagine that, when we eventually make Elite, it will also work out to be by both number of cruises and number of days.

We did Platinum by days (before this newfangled Ruby thing :)) so we turned Platinum in the middle of a cruise but had to remain Gold until the next one. I think Elite will be the same (over 75% there.) We got caught in the Carnival downgrade, too. Huge pain, that.

We did Platinum by days (before this newfangled Ruby thing :)) so we turned Platinum in the middle of a cruise but had to remain Gold until the next one. I think Elite will be the same (over 75% there.) We got caught in the Carnival downgrade, too. Huge pain, that.

Yeah, Ruby is a bit weird. It does get you Platinum insurance for the price of the regular insurance though. Other than that I don't see a benefit. It was obviously some marketing person's idea. It might have been a better idea to do something for the ultra elite who have a zillion Princess cruises instead of creating the (mostly) pointless Ruby class.

Carnival changed their program a couple of years ago from cruises taken to number of days sailed. I was 3 cruises away from their top millennium tier & was knocked way down because of the number of days I've sailed(lots of 4 days). The way they do it now I will most likely never get to that level.

I can see Princess doing it eventually because they are now offering shorter sailing.

I remember when Carnival made the change; I wasn't close on either cruises or nights to a status upgrade, but I do recall they let us know a while before the change.

But that made me think it was possible that Princess would follow suit!

Yeah, Ruby is a bit weird. It does get you Platinum insurance for the price of the regular insurance though. Other than that I don't see a benefit. It was obviously some marketing person's idea.

I had to laugh at this because we don't event get that in Australia. We went from new to Platinum because our first cruise with Princess was 46 nights then added the one from P&O - the next cruise will be our second as Platinum. And yes loving working towards Elite.

At least in Australia most of the Princess cruises are longer ones - very rare to see one under 7 nights.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit since lately they're offering all those short cruises. Soon, everybody will be at least Platinum.

How did Carnival handle the tiers of people who had already made it using cruises? Were they also knocked down a notch or two of grandfathered in?

It wouldn't surprise me one bit since lately they're offering all those short cruises. Soon, everybody will be at least Platinum.

How did Carnival handle the tiers of people who had already made it using cruises? Were they also knocked down a notch or two of grandfathered in?

Those already platinum on Carnival by number of cruises were grandfathered. I have 11 Carnival cruises, total of 66 days. It now takes 75 days to make Platinum, but I keep my prior status. EM

I hope this doesn't happen. We have two cruises booked for Feb. The first one is a 4 day cruise that will put us at Platinum by number of cruise credits (were in window suites for 2 cruises so it gave us double points but days at sea don't double). That means the next cruise a few days later (15 nighter to Hawaii) will be Platinum and will give us some free internet minutes. If they change I hope they grandfather people who already booked! (Main reason we booked the 4 day is because it WOULD put us to Platinum. Also some secondary reasons too but we first thought about doing it because it would put us to Platinum).

I hope this doesn't happen. We have two cruises booked for Feb. The first one is a 4 day cruise that will put us at Platinum by number of cruise credits (were in window suites for 2 cruises so it gave us double points but days at sea don't double). That means the next cruise a few days later (15 nighter to Hawaii) will be Platinum and will give us some free internet minutes. If they change I hope they grandfather people who already booked! (Main reason we booked the 4 day is because it WOULD put us to Platinum. Also some secondary reasons too but we first thought about doing it because it would put us to Platinum).

That's the main reason they might change it. We also booked a 9 day trip (a 4 & a 5 day) but for different reasons. No matter what they do in the long run there are some people who will be annoyed by the change but IMO they have to sooner or later & at the rate people are making new tiers in might not be long.