Just completed dining room reservations.

DrJW

Since Oceania is supposed to he so renown for dining, I am surprised caviare isn't available every evening, as it is in the Grill's on Cunard.

Ad a vegetarian I can't say it appeals to me, but my husband likes it and is used to it always being available.

I do hope we aren't going to be disappointed with the dining on board.

There is a lot more to good food than caviar.

Having sailed in the "Grills" on Cunard and many times on Oceania, there is NO comparison between the two when it comes to food - Oceania's food being far superior to that on Cunard, even in the Grill. Of course, that is JMO. :)

I hope that you will enjoy your cruise on Oceania.

..to chats about Caviar??? :(

I never cease to be amazed in following the threads of some of these posts.

It would be so much more informative to those who initialy post the query if the replies could stick to the issue at hand, or....start a new thread like..."CAVIAR"

Thanks

J.

What I find amazing

If having caviar (or anything else) is important to you -- because you get it on Seabourn or Cunard or some other line-- then ask BEFORE you book to avoid disappointment.

Every cruise line is different. If you compare Oceania to Cunard based on the availability of caviar you are guaranteed to be disappointed.

That is just the way CC seems to work :D Just like "friends" talking to each other and sometimes the conversation drifts a bit (especially when the topic has been exhausted, like here)

Anyway, I believe your original question was fully addressed - that's the important thing.

Sorry, but this cruiser begs to differ.

We are big MDR fans and have lunch and dinner there by default. Always found it well occupied (at dinner at least). (We avoid the Terrace as we find buffets perilous to our health.) Surprised you termed it a ghost town as we were on at least one cruise together on Riviera last year and it did not seem that way at all to us. We do tend to eat fairly early as we like to hear the string quartet after dinner/ rush to evening trivia. So just another view.

Donna, I'll defer to your experience on that cruise as I'm sure you ate in the MDR much more than we did. I was probably basing my perception on our most recent Riviera cruise. It truly seemed on the 2 or 3 nights we ate in the GDR you could throw a rock through the place and pretty much not hit anyone. Granted we did eat early, maybe the crowd shows up later.

Caviar has been available as an appetizer on the second night of every Oceania (and Regent) cruise we have been on (Riviera and Marina only on Oceania). I usually order a double portion for myself, with a chilled Aquavit. It is also always served, in unlimited quantities at the Sunday brunch.

We have also attended an onboard a caviar and martinis "James Bond 007" event where they charge based on the quality of the caviar you ordered--in my experience, the least expensive has been just fine.

If you want caviar at other times, there is a supplement. But you could have it every afternoon or evening and still be ahead costwise vs. the "Grills" on Cunard or Seabourn...

Caviar has been available as an appetizer on the second night of every Oceania (and Regent) cruise we have been on (Riviera and Marina only on Oceania). I usually order a double portion for myself, with a chilled Aquavit. It is also always served, in unlimited quantities at the Sunday brunch.

We have also attended an onboard a caviar and martinis "James Bond 007" event where they charge based on the quality of the caviar you ordered--in my experience, the least expensive has been just fine.

If you want caviar at other times, there is a supplement. But you could have it every afternoon or evening and still be ahead costwise vs. the "Grills" on Cunard or Seabourn...

I'm sure that you posted this with the very best intentions of helping Cruiseluvva, however, a Sunday Brunch is not included in every Cruise Itinerary and it is my understanding that Caviar only appears as an option (even with the stipend) on the Room Service menu for Suites.

That has not been our experience. If you ask, and pay for it, they will provide caviar. But then we have only been in a regular Oceania suite once, a few years ago; otherwise, PH.

And obviously, as a matter of basic logic, if there is no Sunday Brunch on a cruise then there is no caviar with Sunday brunch!

The only GDR Brunch we've ever had was on a 21 day cruise on a sea day. I doubt it was a Sunday. Think it's totally itinerary dependent. It was extravagant and lovely - don't remember the caviar :( but I fondly recall the Salmon Wellington!

We had one dinner (at least) in the MDR and several breakfasts and lunches. We were very impressed with both the food and service there. I remember having a Chateaubriand with sauce Béarnaise which was "to die for". I really like the MDR - but then I really like ALL the Riviera restaurants except Toscana... And we always eat alone - just the two of us - and have never had a problem getting a table for two in any of the restaurants.

If I may be allowed to segue from caviar back to foie gras...

Was the foie gras hot or cold (or both??) when you had it on Oceana?

(and please don't say it was hot when you got it and cold 1 hour later!...)

Edited by Baybear

Question on the ORIGINAL topic of this thread (big segue!). If you are a peon in an inside cabin it appears you are restricted to 1 reservation in each of their specialty restaurants. Are you NOT able to reserve a second time in any of them?... or can you "drop in" and see if there's an opening on a particular night even though you've eaten there a few nights earlier?

Or... can you make a second reservation at the same restaurant after some time??

Is this like the Soup **** (Seinfeld show... cruisecritic bleeped this out for some reason)? (No second meal for YOU)

TIA

Edited by Baybear

If I may be allowed to segue from caviar back to foie gras...

Was the foie gras hot or cold (or both??) when you had it on Oceana?

(and please don't say it was hot when you got it and cold 1 hour later!...)

Jacques has Terrine de Foie Gras de Canard à la Gelée de Coing (Duck Foie Gras Terrine with Quince Jelly and Toasted Brioche) &

Escalope de Foie Gras Crue aux Artichauts (Artichoke Salad over Thinly Sliced Foie Gras with Périgord Black Truffle Vinaigrette)

Polo has a sautéed foie gras (small) on top of a steak(?) - although I no longer see it on the menu. Also has Warm Foie Gras and Mushrooms Bundled in Short Crust Dough, Served with

Port Wine Reduction (copied from website) as an appetizer.

Question on the ORIGINAL topic of this thread (big segue!). If you are a peon in an inside cabin it appears you are restricted to 1 reservation in each of their specialty restaurants. Are you NOT able to reserve a second time in any of them?... or can you "drop in" and see if there's an opening on a particular night even though you've eaten there a few nights earlier?

Or... can you make a second reservation at the same restaurant after some time??

Is this like the Soup **** (Seinfeld show... cruisecritic bleeped this out for some reason)? (No second meal for YOU)

TIA

You can try for extra reservation at all specialty restaurants. Requests can be made for same day or several days in advance on deck 5 on O class ships or same day requests in Terrace café on R class ships.

If one is flexible with time and table size, one can score any number of extra reservations on most sailings - sometimes they are easy and other times you may not get any extras. Some people just walk up to the specialty restaurants in the evening and inquire about cancelations.

TIA

You are restricted to one reservation prior to the cruise on the web site starting 45 days prion to the cruise for each restaurant. Once on the ship it is first come first serve based on availability. We were on a 14 day trip on the Riviera in March and I asked about the brunch. We did not have it and I got the impression in was not done very often. I really do not believe there is preference as per room. I saw a butler bring his group down and try to get special treatment, the staff ignored him and took care of us while his group went nuts, made me feel great as I feel some feel that they have paid so much for their room and have a butler the ship should lay down for them.

You are restricted to one reservation prior to the cruise on the web site starting 45 days prion to the cruise for each restaurant.

Untrue. There is absolutely no restriction as to the number of times that any guest may dine in any of the Specialty Restaurants.

Passengers are guaranteed a certain number of reservations, and after those guarantees are fulfilled, any remaining availability is distributed on a first come, first served basis.

Untrue. There is absolutely no restriction as to the number of times that any guest may dine in any of the Specialty Restaurants.

Passengers are guaranteed a certain number of reservations, and after those guarantees are fulfilled, any remaining availability is distributed on a first come, first served basis.

OK, I thought I had this all figured out, and now I'm not so sure:confused:, although this "disagreement" may simply be a matter of semantics. Stan and Jim responded to the statement "You are restricted to one reservation prior to the cruise on the web site." I am in a PH, so I already have my 4 guaranteed reservations. Tomorrow is Day 45, so everyone who has not previously had a chance to make reservations may do so. I was under the impression that I could not get additional online reservations. I know I can try to get extras once on board, but I thought I could get only 1 reservation in each specialty restaurant prior to boarding. Explain to me why I am wrong and when I may go back online and make additional reservations remaining "after those guarantees are fulfilled."

OK, I thought I had this all figured out, and now I'm not so sure:confused:, although this "disagreement" may simply be a matter of semantics. Stan and Jim responded to the statement "You are restricted to one reservation prior to the cruise on the web site." I am in a PH, so I already have my 4 guaranteed reservations. Tomorrow is Day 45, so everyone who has not previously had a chance to make reservations may do so. I was under the impression that I could not get additional online reservations. I know I can try to get extras once on board, but I thought I could get only 1 reservation in each specialty restaurant prior to boarding. Explain to me why I am wrong and when I may go back online and make additional reservations remaining "after those guarantees are fulfilled."

Whatever your allotment is prior to boarding (total 4 -1 per restaurant?) that is ALL you may have PRIOR to boarding. You may not make additional reservations on line. Once you are on board you may try to get as many extra reservations as you wish.

You can only book 1 reservation per restaurant online no matter what Cat you are in

(suites may be different not sure)

You could try calling O if you are entitled to more but I think you have to wait until boarding day to get extra nights

Lyn

You can only book 1 reservation per restaurant online no matter what Cat you are in

(suites may be different not sure)

You could try calling O if you are entitled to more but I think you have to wait until boarding day to get extra nights

Lyn

On longer cruises suites are able to book more than one reservation per restaurant. Depends on the length of the cruise.

I know I can try to get extras once on board, but I thought I could get only 1 reservation in each specialty restaurant prior to boarding. Explain to me why I am wrong and when I may go back online and make additional reservations remaining "after those guarantees are fulfilled."

You won't be able to use the Online system again, because although the remaining passengers MAY make their Guaranteed Reservations at 45 days out, there is nothing forcing them to do so. By that same token, there may still be a number of Passengers who have reserved Suites who haven't as yet reserved their full allotment. Some people mull their options longer than others.

Similarly, a good portion of your fellow passengers, will not even be aware that pre-booking restaurant reservations is a possibility. Even in this day and age, everyone is not Online. Those people need a chance at tables, too.

By the time that the Cruise is in session, the feeling is that those who have still not used their Reservations, are probably not interested in dining in the Specialties, and the remaining open tables will be released back into "general availability".

It is at that point when you may request Reservations in addition to what you have been guaranteed.

Edited by StanandJim

If you indeed are flexible, particularly regarding eating at 6:30 PM or 9 PM, you should have no trouble getting additional reservations while onboard. An excellent opportunity is provided whenever the ship leaves a port late (let's say 8 PM rather than the usual 6 PM).

We enjoyed a second visit to Jacques in May by dining at 6:30 PM while in Civitavecchia.

Yes, Jacques has both chilled and sauteed foie gras. The MDR does too, once or twice, typically on the second night.

StandandJim, I'm sure that your comments are with the best of intentions, but perhaps re-read the posts a bit more carefully before posting non-sequiturs in response? Just a thought...

Edited by JPR