What to do in Miami with a several hour wait

donnajeanc

Does anyone have suggestions? We are going on the Getaway Sept. 27 and when we get back to Miami we'll have several hours until our 4:30 flight. I'd hate to just sit at the airport that long when I'm in a city I've never visited before. Safe & interesting are the key words. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Does anyone have suggestions? We are going on the Getaway Sept. 27 and when we get back to Miami we'll have several hours until our 4:30 flight. I'd hate to just sit at the airport that long when I'm in a city I've never visited before. Safe & interesting are the key words. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I think you might be able to book a tour of Miami as an excursion ending at the airport. Check with Shore Excursions when you board.

See if NCL offers a shore excursion in Miami. I have visited the Everglades after a cruise is over several times (though not after my NCL cruise).

D11-1.jpg

D11-5.jpg

DSC_0505c_zps618f47d8.jpg

DSC_0495_zpsd98305db.jpg

We are on Getaway the week after you and are doing the Everglades tour through NCL. An important piece of the puzzle for us was that they keep your luggage for you. When we priced out various other transportation options, it seemed we'd spend more money and not get as much value.

There are some interesting boat tours that leave from Bayside Marketplace, which is a short cab ride away. The luggage store at Bayside will keep your bags for $10/piece. (Again, this started to add up pricier for us).

Just realized my post is unclear (need caffeine) - bayside marketplace is not far from pier, not near Everglades! We were considering hanging out at bayside instead and possibly doing a 90 min boat tour but the costs added up and Everglades sounded way more fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also, with an NCL excursion you won't need to worry about cab fare to the airport. They will (usually) drop you off right at the airport.

We did the NCL tour of Tampa after our Star cruise a couple years ago. I have to admit that beforehand we mostly thought of it as just a time-killer until our 3.30pm flight. But it was actually quite nice. After touring around for a while and a couple nice stops to get out and look around, we stopped for a nice relaxed lunch at a local restaurant. Then they drove us to the airport.

Just got off the Getaway a few hours ago! Lol. We are driving around on the Keys. We have a late flight this evening. We took ncls shuttle to the airport where we rented a Jeep. We spent earlier this afternoon in South Beach. Fun place ! I'll try to write a Getaway review later but here's a hint ! WE LOVED IT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got back and had the same issue. We rented a car cheap weekend rates and drove around. Went to south beach and just drove north on A1A for a while. We had Lunch by Dolphin Mall, and walked around the Bass Pro Shop then went back to the airport.

We are also going to do the Everglades tour afterwards through NCL. They protect your bags and drop your off at the airport! For our family of 4,it works out great with pricing and we get to see the Everglades too!

We were going to rent car and go to the Keys maybe but our cruise comes back the weekend before Christmas and the rental car prices are through the roof!!

Edited by darkprayer

If you are going to rent a car (good idea), save some money.

Rent at the port, not the airport. No sense taking transfer to airport, then have to transfer again to car rental lot.

Have a car works well, as you can store luggage in trunk.

Is it an option to just check your bags curbside and take a Miami shuttle to beach? I have the same dilemma...All the early flights didn't leave us a lot of wiggle room depending on when we get off the ship...so now we have a late flight out. We haven't really been to miami so we wanted to go to I think what's called boardwalk, as suggested by a friend of ours, and she said we can take a shuttle from the airport. But can we check our bags before we do that?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Go to Airport, store luggage and then take $10(return) to Dolphin Mall...lots of do at the mall

I'm not really a mall type person but I know not all malls are the same. I went to mall of america and that is no ordinary mall. I will look at what Dolphin Mall has to offer. I'm not much a shopper but if there are other things to do I will consider it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Luggage Express is a great option if you qualify.

No worries about luggage after cruise.

You are then free to do as you please unencumbered.

The Hop on Hop off bus tours leave from bayside, there's a city loop & a SoBe Loop.

The Duck tour from south beach is fun & informative.

The Screamer boat our of bayside marketplace is a blast.

The Island Queeen bay cruise from bayside is nice.

Visit SoBe and beach it or have "brunch" at a sidewalk cafe (many).

NCL's 3 options are great too, tour, luggage storage & airport drop off!

We try to find other alternatives, by the time we are off the ship we have had enough cattle herding time, but they are pretty cost effective.