Am I the only one in this day and age that feels that WIFI should be free to everyone

A more cost friendly internet option would be welcome.

I like to be able to backup my pictures, check out weather, checkup on my house, download a new book (if I'm reading too fast, or if one of my trip books turns out to be a dud), etc.

I can wait until I am in port, but I cruise primarily for the ports and would rather not waste my time sitting in a cafe somewhere. We all have different priorities, while you may cruise to lounge by the pool and stay up late for the shows -- mine is to maximize my time in port.

I've got a lot of "down time" whilst on board when I could enjoy sitting on my balconey or some quiet corner catching up on pins and posts and stuff I do not have time to do at home -- I find that relaxing.

seeing how many text etc. while in restaurants, we can expect very little conversations in the dining rooms.

If someone at my table take up their phone while dining, I will not be quiet and let them know what I think.

I get what you are saying, I really do. But your mindset and opinions are, as a whole NOT shared by the up and coming generation whose daily life is made up of instant access to information and social media.

Let's face it - taking a selfie at the table, and posting it to facebook as your status is a pretty cool thing. If you don't think so, then that's more a sign of your age, rather than some violation of accepted social norms.

The times are a changing. Some day our kids/grandkids will be explaining how they used to go places without WiFi, and their kids will gasp in disbelief.

If you want internet and want to surf get the unlimited package, then you will pay for the pleasure of exercising that option. Some poster mentioned that hotels offer free Wi-Fi-yes and no, and also many charge an outrageous per night "resort fees."

I have to agree with the posters who note that a reliable, reasonably-fast Internet connection from some of the wacky places needed for a Cruise Ship isn't going to be cheap.

I'll be the one to bait flame and admit that they NEED to charge if only to restrict bandwidth to people truly wanting to use it. If you think it's slow now, imagine if everyone who can fog the screen on their smartphone begins posting constant status updates, self portraits, etc. - because it's free.

The C&A Discounts offered seem satisfactory to me. Sure, I'd like to pay less, but when has anyone said "That was just too good a deal, I wish I could have paid more."?

As for me, I'm of the "telling people you're away on vacation potentially hangs a 'rob me' sign on your home" line of thinking. Overly cautious? Possibly, but also never robbed while we're gone. However, the 'devil's deal' with the office is they gave me more leeway in scheduling my dates if I can do some of the stuff remotely that would take longer than the time between vacations to explain.

I'll certainly be the one to say In this day and age, not having shipboard wi-fi is inexcusable. I remember having to trot down to a hotspot to connect and check e-mails. I know, "First world problems" and all but with the price of wireless routers it was a little chintzy. RCL's improved in that respect though, are there any ships now that still have hotspots and not wi-fi throughout?

Pure profit to the cruise line. Unlikely they'd give up that revenue stream that costs then nothing to provide.

But yes, I agree with you.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Forums mobile app

Those terminal stations and their hardware/maintenance, the WiFi points everywhere all cost nothing to provide ? I don't think so.

They could just raise the fare a tiny bit and apply it towards WIFi and everyone would be happy.

I'm going to disagree with you and read the replies. I own my own PC repair company and am quite tech-savy. I never use (well almost never) use the internet on the ship. I can see businesses that have internet anyway offering it for customers as an enticement, but the cost is much higher for a decent connection in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea of the bandwidth they get with their newer providers, and what the cost is, but I'm not interested.

Edited by BillOh

Someone else posted it.. and I agree: I will not stay at a hotel that does not offer free wifi. But, 5-10 years ago, I was willing to pay for it.

Thanks to you and that someone else! You make rooms easier for the rest of us to get at some great hotels, and I turn in the daily internet cost along with the room cost on the same expense report, so it doesn't really matter.

You're also paying higher room prices at those free WiFi places than you'd be paying otherwise. Remember, nothing is free...

I have to agree with the posters who note that a reliable, reasonably-fast Internet connection from some of the wacky places needed for a Cruise Ship isn't going to be cheap.

I'll be the one to bait flame and admit that they NEED to charge if only to restrict bandwidth to people truly wanting to use it. If you think it's slow now, imagine if everyone who can fog the screen on their smartphone begins posting constant status updates, self portraits, etc. - because it's free.

The C&A Discounts offered seem satisfactory to me. Sure, I'd like to pay less, but when has anyone said "That was just too good a deal, I wish I could have paid more."?

As for me, I'm of the "telling people you're away on vacation potentially hangs a 'rob me' sign on your home" line of thinking. Overly cautious? Possibly, but also never robbed while we're gone. However, the 'devil's deal' with the office is they gave me more leeway in scheduling my dates if I can do some of the stuff remotely that would take longer than the time between vacations to explain.

I'll certainly be the one to say In this day and age, not having shipboard wi-fi is inexcusable. I remember having to trot down to a hotspot to connect and check e-mails. I know, "First world problems" and all but with the price of wireless routers it was a little chintzy. RCL's improved in that respect though, are there any ships now that still have hotspots and not wi-fi throughout?

Basically agree with all you've said. But will note that your mention of cheap wireless routers and how its inexcusable to not have WiFi everywhere on board, totally ignores the HUGE issues with getting good WiFi throughout a vessel that can be as long as 4 football fields, AND where every single wall on board is STEEL!

Edited by LetsGetWet!

Thanks to you and that someone else! You make rooms easier for the rest of us to get at some great hotels, and I turn in the daily internet cost along with the room cost on the same expense report, so it doesn't really matter.

You're also paying higher room prices at those free WiFi places than you'd be paying otherwise. Remember, nothing is free...

You know it's not that simple. "Nothing is Free" is actually no where near as simple as you state. It's all about being competitive. If the Hilton offers you a room with Wifi, but the Sheraton across the street charges for it (assumes room prices are similar), then the personal traveler will book the Hilton. Sure, the business traveler who throws everything on his expense report doesn't (but should) care about who is paying, and what the total cost is... the rest of the world cares when it's your own money.

But, I'll give you a small example of my point. USAir offers flights with WiFi. They are also the cheapest to many destinations.

So, if a company wants to retain, or even better: gain market share, they may be willing to reduce per unit profit in exchange for higher volume. Happens all of the time... so technically, the consumer is getting more for less.... "free", if you will.

So, yes.. there IS such a thing as "free".

I'm interested in learning how they provide the level of service they are talking about on Quantum; I'll be it includes additional technologies beyond just a larger satellite link.

They are actually getting their own satellites from O3b that will target the link directly to Quantum and others. Looks like Oasis is getting this during drydock next month. I'm guessing that means those on Oasis will get to test drive this before Quantum debuts in November. Here's some info: http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/when-royal-caribbean-will-roll-out-o3b-bandwidth-bonanza-to-its-ships.html

For us, one of the great aspects of cruising is that we get to disconnect and decompress for a week. No phones, no internet, no work obligations. Not even my local news channel on the tv. Emergency ship contact number, and touching base with family when in port is sufficient for us. Not really wanting to pay more to make things worse (in my opinion).

It seems everybody now lives on facebook and they've forgotten how to relate to people face to face... I don't need to see your post everytime you eat a meal, have a bowel movement, get cut off in your daily commute or see a cat video you just have to share with the world. I like having real conversations with real people, and being a bit more insulated from the rest of the world and going 'low-tech' for the cruise is a good thing to me.

It's a real head shaker to go to a restaurant and see a table full of younger folks holding their phones under the edge of the table texting away ignoring their table mates. Almost as bad as the 'loud talker' who shares his cell phone conversation with the whole room.

Obviously I'm a 'NO' vote...

Toddcan, your posts are thoughtful, reasoned and insightful.

I was also thinking of the (non) cost of wifi availability at hotels, restaurants, etc. -- as some have mentioned, there are many port stops that offer free wifi. Why "free"? Because these businesses have to have it for their own use (i.e., it is already part of their own overhead to operate)... and to share it with their customers doesn't cost them anything extra, it just gives them a gold star.

Admittedly, I don't know the ins and outs of providing internet at sea... but people keep talking about how if "everyone" goes on it will slow down speeds... there are only (at most) 5,000 people onboard... doubtful they will ALL be online at once... wifi systems in cities handle 10 times that volume without slowing...

I appreciate the sentiment that people want to disconnect completely, nor do they want to witness others with their faces glued to their smartphones, as we do in restaurants, subways, on the street at home... sort of like how I like to look at people dressed up on formal night!!:)

Also... I wouldn't bank too much on RCI providing free access to social media so folks can post "how great" everything is onboard... they could equally post "how bad!" everything is onboard!!!:eek: (The NYPD discovered this problem when they encouraged folks to post photos of their interactions with officers, thinking of happy, smiling, helpful officers... and got lots of tweets of police violence, harassment, etc., etc!! Social media is hard to control...)

I was also thinking of the (non) cost of wifi availability at hotels, restaurants, etc. -- as some have mentioned, there are many port stops that offer free wifi. Why "free"? Because these businesses have to have it for their own use (i.e., it is already part of their own overhead to operate)... and to share it with their customers doesn't cost them anything extra, it just gives them a gold star.

Admittedly, I don't know the ins and outs of providing internet at sea... but people keep talking about how if "everyone" goes on it will slow down speeds... there are only (at most) 5,000 people onboard... doubtful they will ALL be online at once... wifi systems in cities handle 10 times that volume without slowing...

Without trying to go deeply into technical details, providing shipboard Internet isn't even remotely comparable to offering it at a hotel, restaurant, or even for a whole city. All of those rely on wired high-speed backbone connections to the Internet, while the ship must use wireless, satellite connection. Someone else mentioned a $25 million satellite able to handle 10 such connections, so $2.5 million each. That's just the initial cost, and that connection is still MUCH slower than the MUCH cheaper connection required for an entire small city.

You might want to consider doing some research before making statements like this. Providing wifi on a ship isn't even remotely similar to providing it in a land-based establishment. And your assumption that because they already have it, they can provide it with no (or little) extra cost is not even close to being true.

Edited by time4u2go

For us, one of the great aspects of cruising is that we get to disconnect and decompress for a week. No phones, no internet, no work obligations. Not even my local news channel on the tv. Emergency ship contact number, and touching base with family when in port is sufficient for us. Not really wanting to pay more to make things worse (in my opinion).

It seems everybody now lives on facebook and they've forgotten how to relate to people face to face... I don't need to see your post everytime you eat a meal, have a bowel movement, get cut off in your daily commute or see a cat video you just have to share with the world. I like having real conversations with real people, and being a bit more insulated from the rest of the world and going 'low-tech' for the cruise is a good thing to me.

It's a real head shaker to go to a restaurant and see a table full of younger folks holding their phones under the edge of the table texting away ignoring their table mates. Almost as bad as the 'loud talker' who shares his cell phone conversation with the whole room.

I was going to post an opinion, but you have stated it already and exactly! And to think an Internet fee would be rolled into my fare. . . Homey Don't Play That.

Of course including it would not require you to use it, anymore than you are required to use the zip line or the flowrider. So if you want to disconnect, do it, why does that mean everyone else must also?

How is someone quietly browsing the news or reading a book on a tablet as bad as a "loud talker"? You like to have conversations with real people, fine, pick someone else.

seeing how many text etc. while in restaurants, we can expect very little conversations in the dining rooms.

If someone at my table take up their phone while dining, I will not be quiet and let them know what I think.

What makes you think that they care what you think?

Don't want to text at the table/take a pic? Don't and MYOB.

Not sure where the line is for "younger folk" but generally if I'm using my phone in the presence of another friend (or hubby) using their phone it's because we are texting each other something that cannot be said out loud :p

Also, I am a notorious "check-innner" so I can remember what we did, ate, or where we went. If other people on my FB don't like my check-ins (my pics of my dogs), they are more than welcome to unfriend me.

I was sitting at a table having dinner with my husband when an acquaintance of ours said "why do you even go to dinner with your husband you're always on your phone?" so I turned around to her and I said well let me see... my Mom AND my father in law are in the hospital dying at the moment... (they died 40 hrs apart) and we came to get dinner to grab a bite... I have a disabled son 1200 miles away who texts me about 20 times a day but some of those times are an emergency and I always check my phone just to make sure everything is okay. I have a daughter in law 1300 miles away who is pregnant and going into labor at any time so yes I am on my phone, checking my phone, But you know what??? it's really not your business!!!

I HATE when people THINK they know exactly what your doing. ..My pet peve!!!

I do think that having really good WIFI at sea should be a priority for all cruise lines. If we didn't have that, then my husband and I couldn't cruise because my husband has to be able to do work at all times, even on vacation. I really don't care if WIFI is free or not since my husband's company will pick up the expenses for the WIFI we use.

On our last cruise, he was really struggling with the WIFI and was having problems sending a large file that had to be there by the next morning. He was thinking of breaking it down and sending it part by part, which would have taken pretty much all night long due to the WIFI being so slow. I insisted we go to the ship's internet cafe to try to find a work-around - I used to work in IT, so I was thinking of every possible solution we could do from a ship and prioritizing them in my mind going from the most likely solution to work to even something low tech. And, indeed we found a solution - he was able to put the file in it's entirety on a memory stick, logon to his email on the ship's hardwired computers, plug in the memory stick and voila! the file went to his office in a matter of 2 minutes and an all night ordeal was avoided.

For me, I like to use the internet, but don't feel the need to be on it 24x7. Still it was useful on our last European cruise to find out the fascinating story behind Saint Catherine's head being in the cathedral in Sienna.

I'm sailing on NCl next week and they are pushing their iConcierge mobile app. With it you can check lots of ship info like your folio, reservations etc. Apparently it is free to 'connect' to the wifi and you can make free calls and send messages to others with the app on the cruise. I'll report back whether it is free to actually 'use' the wifi.;)

Oh, all this talk about why the cruise lines will never offer free wifi, the cost, the technical difficulties, the anti social behaviors etc. are missing the simple truth - people staring at their phones and tablets - doing the social network stuff are too busy to buy lots of alcohol!, or lose money in the casino, or shop the 'art' actions and they don't buy photo's - they already have all the selfies they need!:eek:

There's no such thing as "free" wi-fi, someone is paying the bill. Every time you buy a cup of coffee at Starbucks, or a Happy Meal at Mickey D's, you're paying for that "free" wi-fi, even if you never actually use it. I, for one, am glad that the cost of internet service aboard ship is so prohibitively expensive that it forces me to go "off the grid" for a week or so.