Packing in Carry on Only

jenn6743

I learned this the hard way. We were on a 3 day cruise and the first night I "needed" a hairdryer was "elegant" night and low and behold..no hairdryer. I was told that most ships have hairdryers so I left mine at home..big mistake!! I ended up trying to dry my hair with my curling iron and flat iron and it was not pretty. Never again..I will always pack my hairdryer just in case. It is better to be safe than sorry.

It is better to be safe than sorry.

For non-health & safety items, my opinion is decidedly different. My hair can go up in a french twist if I need to be fancy (or professional) - no hair dryer needed. A hair dryer is something I haven't traveled with in >5 years.....

Haha, loved this thread. I am packing for a 21 day cruise, 25 days gone, in one carry on. I already packed and still have room. I plan on doing some handwashing (even packed a wash tub) everynight. We are going to Europe in Feb and it will probably be cold, so I am just layering everything. 4 pants, 2 shoes, 9 tops, 3 sweaters, pjs, undies, 3 bras, 8 socks. Different jewerly, scarfs, etc. I am happy we decided on carryon. Our luggage won't get lost, we will start our trip when we land instead of waiting for luggage. The bags won't get torn and ruined. I feel free. We are not going to do formal nights, just eat in the buffet.

Our last cruise we were on a 9 day and realized I hardly wore anything I took. The take it "just in case" thing is overrated. I am so happy to just take a few things,I will be able to go on trains or public transit without the hassle.

When I was younger, I traveled in Europe for a month with one small(very small) suitcase and I was fine. So now that I am older I think, how have things changed? And my answer is not much, so simple is better for me. Thanks for posting this thread!!

Yes! "Less" does work. I travel with a carry-on only - 22" in the U.S. and 20" international. I choose wardrobe items carefully - colors and fabrics that are lightweight, nonbulky and capable of layering. My record is 23 days - land based travel + 17 day cruise. No formal wear, just nice casual that will work in specialty restaurants on formal night. I like being able to take care of my own bag without help from anyone, without the need for porters, taxis, etc. I appreciate the freedom and even enjoy the mix and match wardrobe challenge.

FYI, for formal get a long black poly skirt and pair with blingy top. Takes zero space and no wrinkles. Guys can wear a sport coat on the plane, black slacks, shirt and tie. Or rent a tux. No reason to skip formal night--unless you want to.

Yes, and I booked a hotel that had hair dryers.

Well, I don't always (and even sometimes when I do, I don't necessarily know in advance). Sometimes, esp traveling for work, I'm not even in a hotel. So, you know, we all travel differently.;)

I have done both taking a carry on only and a checked bag. The hardest part was not packing in a carry on but what I was willing to give up. For me I discovered I liked to get dressed up including formal nights. I did rent a tux as one person recommended here but afterwards I thought was that really worth it. I paid more for the tux rental then the price of the carry on fee. I also like to bring back liquids from my travels and the only way to get them back is through a checked bag.

The niece part about cruising is you get to choose what you want to do. If packing in a carry on makes your cruise experience better go for it. Only experience will give you the answer.

Shak

I learned this the hard way. We were on a 3 day cruise and the first night I "needed" a hairdryer was "elegant" night and low and behold..no hairdryer. I was told that most ships have hairdryers so I left mine at home..big mistake!! I ended up trying to dry my hair with my curling iron and flat iron and it was not pretty. Never again..I will always pack my hairdryer just in case. It is better to be safe than sorry.

Or ask your cabin steward - I went on a Carnival cruise assuming that we'd have one and didn't. I thought it was just missing. He brought me one right away.

What the heck ship or hotel doesn't have a hair dryer?

Carnival Ecstasy class (at least Paradise and Inspiration) don't have them.

We just had a cruise that left from LA, 15 minutes from our house. We packed everything we wanted, including DH's tux and white dinner jacket. We had one 26" bag, two 22" and two backpacks. We could have taken the larger bag off with us at the end but set it out and that was a big mistake. Self-debark went on until almost 10:00 am and we didn't go off until almost 11:00. With nothing to do but sit in a departure lounge with a few people who were getting frantic about missing their flights, I vowed that I will never sail with more than I can comfortably carry on and off the ship, even if we're driving to the pier. It may not qualify as carryon for an airline, but for a ship, absolutely it must and it will.

Edited by critterchick

• 2 weeks later...
How do they save on space?

I don't think they do. They can help organizationally, but if you're a good packer (be it a roller or bundler or whatever) then you can pack in less space than using bags.

(note - I don't do either - if I don't have space, I either take less stuff or use a bigger bag, depending on the trip and my needs for that trip).

I don't think they do. They can help organizationally, but if you're a good packer (be it a roller or bundler or whatever) then you can pack in less space than using bags.

(note - I don't do either - if I don't have space, I either take less stuff or use a bigger bag, depending on the trip and my needs for that trip).

Thanks for the answer. I always thought packing bags might take up extra space. Ive been cruising for 35 years and I'm a roller. For knit shirts, underwear, socks, shorts and capris, I stack like items in a pile, role up tight, then secure with sturdy elastic bands. I can squeeze lots of stuff and it makes for easy unpacking.

Edited by Chelly

My husband is a roller and he mocks my packing, but hey, to each his/her own:D

I use a cube for underwear & bras, and I use small bags (either airplane amenity bags, cosmetic bags, lesportsac bags - I hoard them:p) for electronics, jewelry, makeup, office supplies, etc. But I just don't like or need them for clothing.

Another difference is that I am an UN-packer (I didn't used to be, but my husband is and he's converted me in the 17 yrs we've been together) If we are anywhere for more than 2 nights, we unpack our bags - so I don't need the organizational features of packing like items in bags together.....

I also really really dislike the compression bags. I do NOT need to be encouraged to pack more weight! I am trying to lighten up my packing!!

I am with Hoyaheel in that packing seems to be one of those very personal preferences -- you just gotta do what works for you.

I have tried packing cubes/envelopes and there is no way that I can fit more in by using them. Perhaps people who aren't used to packing a suitcase (or are more "helter skelter" packers) find them useful, but they don't do anything for me.

I haven't tried compression bags, but don't they wrinkle your clothing?

First post here and wanted to chime in. I pack everything into different sized ziplock bags. I try to separate them by day but it's really what fits. And it's not because I try to fit more or anything.

On one international trip before I started doing this, we (DH and I) had a connecting flight in Hong Kong where it was pouring and our entire suitcase and all it's contents were drenched. Even by the time we got to or final destination 5 hours later and in the middle of the night (no stores open to buy clothes) everything was still soaking wet. We spent the whole night in our hotel room wringing out all of our clothing and hanging them up to dry.

Edited by mztirra

First post here and wanted to chime in. I pack everything into different sized ziplock bags. I try to separate them by day but it's really what fits. And it's not because I try to fit more or anything.

On one international trip before I started doing this, we (DH and I) had a connecting flight in Hong Kong where it was pouring and our entire suitcase and all it's contents were drenched. Even by the time we got to or final destination 5 hours later and in the middle of the night (no stores open to buy clothes) everything was still soaking wet. We spent the whole night in our hotel room wringing out all of our clothing and hanging them up to dry.

Oh ouch. I feel the pain. Understandable why you'd use ziplocks now.

I am a roller but also use ziplock bags. My favorite are the larger Hefty brand zip locks. Not all my clothes get zipped, some are laid flat and some are rolled, depending on the fabric.

Packing is so personal, so people need to experiment with all these ideas.