Online Check-In vs Check-In at pier

Barca-longa

How long does it take at the dock if you don't do online check-in? How long if you do? Do you get to skip the line if do it online? How long is the line usually?

My mom doesn't have internet access. Is there any advantage of either (besides time at the counter) in particular?

Related question. Do they give you better luggage tags at the dock? The ones I printed out with the other e-documents are paper and seem like they won't hold up the plane ride.

I would suggest that you get your mom on the phone and complete the online check in for her. She can read you her passport number etc. You can print out her set sail pass and give or mail it to her. It will be faster to do the check in if that has already been done.

How long does it take at the dock if you don't do online check-in? How long if you do? Do you get to skip the line if do it online? How long is the line usually?

My mom doesn't have internet access. Is there any advantage of either (besides time at the counter) in particular?

Related question. Do they give you better luggage tags at the dock? The ones I printed out with the other e-documents are paper and seem like they won't hold up the plane ride.

Always put your luggage tags for your cruise on after you have completed your flight and collected your bags. Or, as Bob has suggested, get the tags from the porters that collect your bags at the port.

Edited by cruisenfever

How long do the lines typically take? I'm traveling with little kids and they're not very patient. What is the quickest time to get in line?

Also, I was given 2pm as my queue time in my edocs. Do I have to board then or can I go earlier?

You can go earlier.

How long do the lines typically take? I'm traveling with little kids and they're not very patient. What is the quickest time to get in line?

Also, I was given 2pm as my queue time in my edocs. Do I have to board then or can I go earlier?

Royal has not been enforcing the suggested check-in times in US ports.

My information is from one year ago that the porters have the "old type" luggage tags - the ones that you peel off a small piece of paper, and press the edges, they stick together. They may or may not have a sharpie to write in your cabin number.

I see by your signature you have sailed RCI previously. Are you and your family (kids included, if they have cruised too) Crown and Anchor members already? If so, you may use the Priority Check-In line. This may or may not save you a few minutes - depends on how busy the "regular" line is. Also note, this is for check-in, not boarding. Not all C&A members have priority boarding.

As others mentioned, you can get luggage tags at the port, or put your own from RC on just before you get to the port, perhaps at the hotel if going earlier.

When I went on my last cruise with HAL, I printed my luggage tags and covered them with clear packing tape. I'm not sure if RC allows you to print your own as it's been a while since I cruised RC. This is the youtube video with instructions to do your own if you're interested. http://youtu.be/atMf2N0Agos. I liked the idea of these tags because they are pretty sturdy and won't come off too easily.

I'm with the person who said get on the phone and print it for her, and bring it to her. In Miami and in Fort Lauderdale, they are always looking at your set sail pass before you get to the check in counters. In Miami for example, if you don't have it when you first get there, they have to pull out a manifest and look you up and it's a pain - especially for those of us waiting behind them! :) So yes, this is a bit of a selfish request.

Don't attach the tags before you fly. Consider getting the clear plastic sleeve tag holders. You can find them on Amazon and they are sized to fit Royal luggage tags (as well as Celebrity). You fold up the tags and slip them in, attach to the bag, and no worries. Otherwise you need to have a stapler or clear tape at the pier.

I would suggest that you get your mom on the phone and complete the online check in for her. She can read you her passport number etc. You can print out her set sail pass and give or mail it to her. It will be faster to do the check in if that has already been done.

I did this for my mom since she could never figure out the online info and we are also in different states. Worked out fine and I just brought her boarding pass and luggage tags with me.

Also, in Ft. Lauderdale, they wouldn't even let us in the terminal w/o showing our boarding passes and passports.

Sue

Edited by shofer

Also, in Ft. Lauderdale, they wouldn't even let us in the terminal w/o showing our boarding passes and passports.

On our last cruise (HAL) earlier this year I somehow misplaced our boarding passes before we got to the Ft. Lauderdale/Port Everglades terminal. They did let us into the terminal, though I had most of our paperwork in hand and our names were on the list. They just confirmed once we were called to the desk for check-in. Needless to say, I was freaking out as I thought I had it all. I won't let that happen again!! I think they have that happen occasionally and could work something out, but perhaps RC is different.