First Trans Atlantic

Ausie53

We are doing our first trans in a few weeks time, Noordam 26 dayer from Rome to Fort Lauderdale, question is what type of weather to expect with the crossing, temputure, rain etc, big seas don't worry us, as we're used to the southern seas. We enter the Atlantic around 28th October, thanks for your thoughts. Tony & Julie.

You need a crystal ball for that one, and mine isn't working well enough.

I wouldn't expect terrible weather. I would be a bit more cautious if you were sailing north atlantic to New York or Boston.

We had calm seas and warm weather, and no rain on a similar crossing.

I wish and expect the same for you.:)

Smooth sailing...

You need a crystal ball for that one, and mine isn't working well enough.

I wouldn't expect terrible weather. I would be a bit more cautious if you were sailing north atlantic to New York or Boston.

We had calm seas and warm weather, and no rain on a similar crossing.

I wish and expect the same for you.:)

Smooth sailing...

Done it twice and both times the seas were smooth and calm all the way.

Have done many of those "crossings" and it truly is like tossing the dice. But a majority of our cruises in late Oct - early Nov have had pretty good weather with temps somewhat warmer then we would have expected (in the mid 70s). You can certainly use a decent weather site such as Accuweather where you can get a 15 day forecast for Rome (and other ports). Although we do not find the long range forecasts very accurate they will usually be in the ballpark with their temperature projections.

Hank

Plan on bringing some layers. I usually bring short sleeve tops and a light and heavier weight sweater. I also bring a athletic type jacket. I always travel with a light weight rain jacket. If it is cold, I can layer the sweater under the jacket. You will probably have lovely weather. Ship sometimes is cool for me. Coming across Atlantic you will have a sunny side of the ship and a shady side most of the trip. IIRC the port side gets more sun. Enjoy!

I've done this routing twice in recent years. The first embarked on October 31, and the second was in November. Both were warm to quite hot; seas were smooth. YMMV.

I spent a lot of time sitting out on deck, where the starboard (shady) side was the more popular. When I do this route again (next year) I may pack a windbreaker jacket, but that's not definite yet. A lot will have to do with what time at night I arrive home. That's the place where I may need to cover up more.

As others have mentioned it is hard to tell what the weather will be like on a TA that time of year. The first one I did, the weather was beautiful all the way across. The last one I did it was rainy about half the time. We actually had rougher seas in the Med than we did on the TA, so you never know. I think the advice for taking layers and a windbreaker should cover you no matter what the weather is. Enjoy your trip.

I spent a lot of time sitting out on deck, where the starboard (shady) side was the more popular.

Oh my dear Ruth, you've come through for me once more! I have terrible right-left dyslexia, and when choosing our cabin during the upsell yesterday for our TA, I wasn't sure I had it correct when I chose one on the port side. Yay, we will have the "Sunny Side Of The Street"! ! ! !

To Ausie53, have a wonderful cruise - hope you are looking forward to your first TA as much as we are. I almost feel I know you because I have an Uncle Tony & Aunt Julie!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Thanks for you responses , yes we do layer when cruising and find 70 degs a pleasant temp, not to cold and not humid like we get in Australia. We are looking forward to the sea days on the crossing, I enjoy the crowsnest on Noordam, sitting in those leather chairs, watching the ocean and falling asleep😪 Fly out tomorrow week to Rome, not looking forward to the 23 hour flight but it's the price you pay living in Aus. As for price we pay more for air travel, in this case $2600 ea than the 26 day cruise $2250 ea. Making the fight worth it by doing a 20 btb Caribbean cruise straight after the TA on Royal Princess our first mega ship, will be quite warm in the Caribbean just like northern Australia, so the layers will become shorts and Polo's. Saturday morning here time to get out off bed. Tony.

Thanks for you responses , yes we do layer when cruising and find 70 degs a pleasant temp, not to cold and not humid like we get in Australia. We are looking forward to the sea days on the crossing, I enjoy the crowsnest on Noordam, sitting in those leather chairs, watching the ocean and falling asleep😪 Fly out tomorrow week to Rome, not looking forward to the 23 hour flight but it's the price you pay living in Aus. As for price we pay more for air travel, in this case $2600 ea than the 26 day cruise $2250 ea. Making the fight worth it by doing a 20 btb Caribbean cruise straight after the TA on Royal Princess our first large ship, will be quite warm in the Caribbean just like northern Australia, so the layers will become shorts and Polo's. Saturday morning here time to get out off bed. Tony.

We are doing our first trans in a few weeks time, Noordam 26 dayer from Rome to Fort Lauderdale, question is what type of weather to expect with the crossing, temputure, rain etc, big seas don't worry us, as we're used to the southern seas. We enter the Atlantic around 28th October, thanks for your thoughts. Tony & Julie.

We did this TA cruise last year leaving Rome Oct. 31. The weather was beautiful but Romans did say they were having unusually dry sunny warm weather for that week. Great for us.

Sailing across ocean we had one thunderstorm one night. The crew navigated away from it somewhat but it was a great lightning show. Temps were cool at first leaving the Azores but then became warmer as we headed southwest.

Take jacket and umbrella. We needed it in the Azores. Happy sailing.