European cruise & credit cards

rinkrats

Has any one recently used credit cards in europe? Do you have to have a chip on order to use? Capital One has no foreign transaction fees but no chip. My amex has a chip but charges foreign transaction fees.

I have heard that a lot of Europe won't take cards without chips.

The chips we get her are "Signature" chips. They use "chip and PIN". My US Bank "chip" card was worthless. They still had to swipe it and it was just like a regular card. You dont have to have a chip on your card . Some cashiers don't know to swipe so just let them know it's not a "chip and PIN". We were in France and England last May on a non cruise trip to Bayeux, Fr, London and Cornwall. Most places took our credit card. But some smaller venues did not. Always ask before you buy so you dont get in a bind. Keep a stash of emergency cash in case you run into ATM problems. Leave your American Express at home. Have a great trip :)

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

I had no problems using my capital one card in June. There were a few machines here and there that required the pin and chip card but it was very easy to find and alternative. No issues at all with merchants in Spain, Italy or Portugal. Hope this helps.

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

I found it best to use Capital One in Europe, but do not use ATMs for cash. You can get Euros on the ship at the going rate plus a $10 fee, and it all comes out of your on board account, like being charged for a cash advance, so if you get $600 worth of Euros you get $12 in rewards on your NCL Mastercard, so it pays for itself and you don't need the cash up front. Many restaurants on Cyprus would not take credit cards, glad we had some left over Euros.

You might want to browse or post on some of the European cities in CruiseCritic's Ports of Call sub-forums.

There are considerably discussions there, on and off, about what has worked (or not) recently.

Much of the reports seem to indicate that it still might be a "hit or miss" situation, depending upon just which place/machine is used.

Also, there is a difference between "Chip and PIN" cards (much better in Europe) and "Chip and Signature" cards.

Amex (certain categories anyway) offer a Chip and Signature card if one requests it, and some categories of Amex cards also do NOT have a foreign transaction fee.

USA-based charge cards seem to be quite slow in offering the more secure "Chip and PIN" physical cards, unfortunately.

GeezerCouple

Just bear in mind that a lot of places only accept cash. This includes some of the "big" attractions like Pompeii, Dubrovnik City Walls, Palma Cathedral etc (I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I recall from the last few years) and there may not be as many ATMs about as you might expect.

Some of the restaurants and cafes will accept cards, but a lot won't - especially the little local places that you would probably be better visiting than those places catering to the tourist market (and adding that extra tourist charge!)

One taxi driver in Copenhagen accepted our Capital One card with no chip and another absolutely refused and called the driver who did a fool and obviously new. Be sure to always ask ahead and let them know your card does not have a chip and needs a signature. That solved most problems but don't assume anything. I used our credit card for the hotels and cash for almost everything else. We had five currencies to deal with and it was a hassle.

I'd like someone to address the recommendation on getting foreign cash on the ship. I always thought that was among the most expensive ways to get cash.

I spent five weeks in Europe last summer--12 different countries--and the only place that couldn't accept my card was a tiny little cafe. That said, I usually used case at the smaller places just as a matter of course. I didn't have any trouble at all using my card when I needed to and it doesn't have a chip. I called my bank as I'm leaving in just over a week for my Jade cruise and they said they're piloting the chip technology in "selected markets" but not mine.

I'd also like someone to address getting Euros on the ship. I had read it's a terrible exchange rate and they charge you a fee. I've always understood the best exchange rate is through ATMs...anyone know?

Thanks!

I use a Marriott, has a chip, no foreign fees and comes with 3 days of free hotel room.

In 40 yeas traveling Kaula Lumpur to Warsaw I have only 3 times needed cash and that was for a train ticket in Spain The bridge over the Bristol Channel in UK and a cab in Turkey..

ALL the rest credit card. Because it is insurance, because its at the best bankers rate, because it has a 45 day float fro free, because I don't end up with hundred's of dollars of worthless change ( you can get bills converted but NOT coin)

In this day and age I consider anyone who wont accept a credit card as a shakey-jake. and I wont do business with them and neither should a prudent traveler. It more about them not being to pass muster with a local bank than them saving the 2% cc fee.

Never buy on the ship unless you like paying a 20 to 25% commission...Use an Atm if necessary

In this day and age I consider anyone who wont accept a credit card as a shakey-jake. and I wont do business with them and neither should a prudent traveler. It more about them not being to pass muster with a local bank than them saving the 2% cc fee.

I absolutely respect your opinion, but that just doesn't work for me. I love local arts and crafts and often I purchase from crafts people who don't have the ability to take credit cards. I don't consider them disreputable and I am, indeed, a prudent and experienced traveler. :D

I agree Quilting Cruiser - only frequenting vendors who accept cards means you are often stuck with the mass marketed tourist companies. I would much rather deal with "real" local arts and crafts sellers (the genuine ones) who sell beautiful individual art work on street markets, and local cafes and restaurants.

Hawaiidan - I can only assume that you haven't visited Pompeii or Old Town Dubrovnik Walls (two of the big attractions on a European Cruise that the OP was asking about) because they do not accept anything other than cash.

Edited by Cloudyrain

I spent five weeks in Europe last summer--12 different countries--and the only place that couldn't accept my card was a tiny little cafe. That said, I usually used case at the smaller places just as a matter of course. I didn't have any trouble at all using my card when I needed to and it doesn't have a chip. I called my bank as I'm leaving in just over a week for my Jade cruise and they said they're piloting the chip technology in "selected markets" but not mine.

I'd also like someone to address getting Euros on the ship. I had read it's a terrible exchange rate and they charge you a fee. I've always understood the best exchange rate is through ATMs...anyone know?

Thanks!

The rate I paid on the Spirit for Euros was the current online rate, I do not know how that compares to ATM rates. There is a $10 charge per transaction, so it is best to do it once for all the cash you will need. Trading Euros back in for US $$$ is a terrible rate, cannot advise doing that, better to spend it while in Europe instead of CC.

And, no matter what you have, take another.

We carry 2 different CC each. If one gets blocked, compromised, whatever, you have another to use.

Damn cheap insurance (free).

That would be us as well

4 credit cards

2 debit cards. 1 to our regular acct which we would only use in emergency

1 to our travel checking acct which only has real emergency back up cash anyway

A load of euro brought from home as I won't use ATMs any longer since my Venice cloning experience unless it is an emergency

Prepayment to anything we can

And

Speaking directly to the apt owner or hotel front desk to make sure they take our credit card. Never had a problem

Oh and being aware if aces that will not take cards such as the various metros. Tolls. Etc.

Oh and did I say euro from home all safe a securely hidden on my person? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although Pompeii ticket booth does only accept cash, there is a atm booth right there. I used my cc with a pin to make cash withdrawal in sight of ticket booth.

Dubrovnik, I was going to pay for our drinks at the cafe by the sea and they only accepted cash therefore had to go to atm around corner to get cash.

I did not use the ships atm as the fees were definitely more than any land ATMs even though the ship was advertising great rates, lol!

I had no problems using my capital one card in June. There were a few machines here and there that required the pin and chip card but it was very easy to find and alternative. No issues at all with merchants in Spain, Italy or Portugal. Hope this helps.

Debbie

Sent from my KFJWI using Forums mobile app

That's pretty much our experience in a bunch of European countries.

I found it best to use Capital One in Europe, but do not use ATMs for cash. You can get Euros on the ship at the going rate plus a $10 fee, and it all comes out of your on board account, like being charged for a cash advance, so if you get $600 worth of Euros you get $12 in rewards on your NCL Mastercard, so it pays for itself and you don't need the cash up front. Many restaurants on Cyprus would not take credit cards, glad we had some left over Euros.

Are you talking cash advance on a credit card or the ship's ATM, or what?

We were in Europe most of August. We used a chip and pin card and were asked to sing because Chase hasn't authorized the chips yet for transactions. Go figure.

Why did they make you sing? I can't sing so will I have trouble?

Edited by pieshops

Why did they make you sing? I can't sing so will I have trouble?

Then I guess you won't use your card in Europe. They do make you "sign" for your supper. A simple typo.

I've spent months in England over the last two years and I never had a problem with my "Swipee" card. Their term, not mine. I've also traveled extensively through Europe and Asia and no major merchant has ever turned down my Capital One card. Some of the cashiers aren't sure how to swipe them but usually someone does. Just make sure you have local currency for cabs, buses, some restaurants and small purchases.

I always use a credit card and also have separate checking account with an ATM/Debit card. This checking account is not tied to any of my other bank accounts, so if they get the card the worst that will happen is they will drain whatever money is in it. They will not be able to get at my LOC, savings or other accounts using that card. My banker set this up for me, many years ago.

Ask your bank what their foreign transaction fee is when you use your debit card outside the U.S.. Many banks have accounts that charge no foreign transaction or ATM fees. A Wells Fargo PMA, at one time, did not charge but now they do have a $5/transaction fee plus whatever the foreign bank charges for using their ATM. It's usually less than one or two Euros. I will pull out enough cash to last me a couple of weeks.

Take care,

Mike

Edited by MMastell

That's pretty much our experience in a bunch of European countries.

Are you talking cash advance on a credit card or the ship's ATM, or what?

There is a desk for currency on the Spirit to the left of customer service, and however much you want in Euros they will charge the dollars to your on board account. When you pay your on board account with your NCL Mastercard you receive 2% reward.