Price Dropping and Cruise Capacity

stickey_mouse

It's so depressing to see the price start to drop now that final payment time has arrived. But, alas, I suppose Celebrity has a right to do whatever it can to fill the cabins. Does anybody know if most Celebrity sailings are sold out or near capacity? Not that it matters, but I wish there was a way to check a specific cruise's passenger load.

It's so depressing to see the price start to drop now that final payment time has arrived. But, alas, I suppose Celebrity has a right to do whatever it can to fill the cabins. Does anybody know if most Celebrity sailings are sold out or near capacity? Not that it matters, but I wish there was a way to check a specific cruise's passenger load.

Good time to upgrade:D

Afraid it might be more trouble for us. We are a group of 18 and want to have adjacent rooms so we can open up our balconies. Plus, I would hate to (potentially) lose our free drink package.

That's why I don't mind booking early. Get the perks and cabin I want. Did your cabin drop more than the approx $700 the drink pkg would have cost you?

I always roll the dice and book at the eleventh hour - 8 down to 1 week before the cruise. Only once did I not get the desired cabin and location. With regards to paying less or more. I have always paid less than the initial cruise price. We've cruised from AQ to a RS, and saved a significant amount of $$$. I also choose to cruise at times which are less expensive. I would never try doing this during holidays or cruise dates with a higher demand.

If you're a risk taker and willing to take a chance at saving some serious money - DO IT! If you are joining others, high season, need a specific type of cabin & location, etc. It's probably not a good idea. I guess I just like the trill of saving $$$ on a great cruise.

It is disheartening to see price drops after final payment but that's how Celebrity sails full. The upside is, had you waited until today to book you would most likely not been able to book 9 cabins in a row. You might not even get 9 cabins in the same class on the same deck. Air fare is typically more expensive the closer to the date you want to fly so there is a savings in booking that early.

Mary Lou

I always roll the dice and book at the eleventh hour - 8 down to 1 week before the cruise. Only once did I not get the desired cabin and location. With regards to paying less or more. I have always paid less than the initial cruise price. We've cruised from AQ to a RS, and saved a significant amount of $$$. I also choose to cruise at times which are less expensive. I would never try doing this during holidays or cruise dates with a higher demand.

If you're a risk taker and willing to take a chance at saving some serious money - DO IT! If you are joining others, high season, need a specific type of cabin & location, etc. It's probably not a good idea. I guess I just like the trill of saving $$$ on a great cruise.

You are lucky you have the option of not booking ahead... Someday I hope to be there too

For now, we cannot do that cause of work commitments / type of job

I will be very very happy when I don't have to pay top dollar to cruise, and go on a whim... I am seriously jealous of those who can (please do not tell me how much cash you actually save, cause I know Mr Sloop would have a heart attack :eek: )

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

OP: As others have said there are web sites that do what you are asking. Since you have a group of 18 did the group booked together and get a "group rate"? This would have been the least costly way to book; however, your reservation would now be in the Group Sales Department and neither you or any member of the group would be entitled to any lower non group prices that might appear. Cruises, at least Celebrity, do tend to sell out. Several TAs for April have sold out cabin categories. My recent experiences indicate that most cruises I am booking have cost less the earlier I've booked. Remember, every cruise is different and you always run a risk anyway you go. I no longer worry about it. I simply book when I see a deal that looks good to me. I don't look back, but keep an eye out for price reductions. I have 6 future cruises on my calendar currently and if still available is now more expensive than when I booked.

4 weeks out from our TA which we booked really early, The insides are going for the same price we paid for a C3.:eek: First TA and I thought I could get a good upgrade after final but I guess not!

Edited by Christine Frances

4 weeks out from our TA which we booked really early, The insides are going for the same price we paid for a C3.:eek: First TA and I thought I could get a good upgrade after final but I guess not!

Christine, there have been some much lower prices recently. There were prices for a suite guarantee for $2699 per person for seniors last week. They have since gone up but many of the other categories are very low now. You need to put in your Captain's Club number and check all the pertinent boxes to see them.

Edited by Ma Bell

OP: As others have said there are web sites that do what you are asking. Since you have a group of 18 did the group booked together and get a "group rate"? This would have been the least costly way to book; however, your reservation would now be in the Group Sales Department and neither you or any member of the group would be entitled to any lower non group prices that might appear. Cruises, at least Celebrity, do tend to sell out. Several TAs for April have sold out cabin categories. My recent experiences indicate that most cruises I am booking have cost less the earlier I've booked. Remember, every cruise is different and you always run a risk anyway you go. I no longer worry about it. I simply book when I see a deal that looks good to me. I don't look back, but keep an eye out for price reductions. I have 6 future cruises on my calendar currently and if still available is now more expensive than when I booked.

Yes, we got a group rate, but just in the form of OBC. For every 8 cabins you book, you get one free fare (cruise price, not including Tax and Fees). We decided to be nice and divide this as OBC with all of our group. We also got some additional OBC from the TA. It is nice to know that we will be cruising with a "free" beverage package and, in a sense, free gratuities (because of the OBC). I like the idea of it being possible that we will leave the ship with no additional money spent. It's possible, but probably not likely! ;)

Yes, we got a group rate, but just in the form of OBC. For every 8 cabins you book, you get one free fare (cruise price, not including Tax and Fees). We decided to be nice and divide this as OBC with all of our group. We also got some additional OBC from the TA. It is nice to know that we will be cruising with a "free" beverage package and, in a sense, free gratuities (because of the OBC). I like the idea of it being possible that we will leave the ship with no additional money spent. It's possible, but probably not likely! ;)

Check with your TA and I believe you'll find that your reservation is now assigned to Group Bookings. I've never had a TA tell me when I was in Group Sales,. Only found out about it when I attempted to take advantage of a reduced price and was told by Celebrity, not the TA that my reservation was in Group Sales and thus I didn't qualify for the reduction. Many, if not all specials offered by a particular TA is a group rate. In many cases that requires the customer (me or you) to make final payment at an earlier date. The "pro" is the lower price, the "con" is that you are now bound by the group rules. This could be a separate thread.

I have successfully played the game of booking the lowest category I'd be happy with when the cabin choice is good. My experience has been that even after final payment you can upgrade the category without losing extra stuff. Maybe I've just been lucky who I talked to on the phone.

I think we are on the same cruise. Final payment isn't due until Tuesday (9/30). Your TA probably told you a final payment date a few days early so they can make sure everything is processed before the actual date. So you could try for the lower rate and see what happens, but I think the drink package will probably complicate things. I saw that the price for the cabin I booked is down another $50, but it looks like a 3 day sale that Celebrity is doing, which means it wouldn't be combinable with 123 Go/Pick Your Perk. At the last price drop my TA told me I couldn't have it and keep the drink package, although later she said Celebrity agreed to do it as a "courtesy."

I think we are on the same cruise. Final payment isn't due until Tuesday (9/30). Your TA probably told you a final payment date a few days early so they can make sure everything is processed before the actual date. So you could try for the lower rate and see what happens, but I think the drink package will probably complicate things. I saw that the price for the cabin I booked is down another $50, but it looks like a 3 day sale that Celebrity is doing, which means it wouldn't be combinable with 123 Go/Pick Your Perk. At the last price drop my TA told me I couldn't have it and keep the drink package, although later she said Celebrity agreed to do it as a "courtesy."

Group bookings follow a different set of rules from individual bookings. What applies to one may not apply to the other. Often offers contain a statement that they "only apply to individual bookings". I would always ask, but understand why the answer might be "no".

I just want to present a little different view of booking after final payment date. Maybe it will make those of you who see price drops after you have booked feel a bit better. We just booked a cruise on a guarantee a little over 2 weeks ago, sailing in 5 weeks. We did get an amazing price and ended up with a 1A. We are very happy with this. However, all the wonderful private tours are booked up. People who have been on the roll call now "know" each other and we are the newcomers. I am one who likes all the chit chat that goes on, so we have missed a lot of that on this huge roll call. Will we do this again? Maybe, maybe not. I really like to book early on board and get the perks from that and then enjoy participating in the roll call.

Christine, there have been some much lower prices recently. There were prices for a suite guarantee for $2699 per person for seniors last week. They have since gone up but many of the other categories are very low now. You need to put in your Captain's Club number and check all the pertinent boxes to see them.

Thanks! Just logged in & checked and the Senior rate for XC is still $300 pp higher than what we paid June 2013 (almost 16 months ago)