How formal is formal?

xcell

Wow, after reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if my husband and I made a mistake booking a Celebrity Cruise. Now before anyone jumps down my throat, we do dress up for formal nights.

Yes, the posts are frequently totally unlike the onboard experience. Doubt you made a mistake but if you let us know why you think you may have made one, it might clarify things.

Just some of the responses seemed kind of harsh. We want an upscale experience but not a stuffy snub nose one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Nothing Stuffy or Snubby about Celebrity.

Lol, one visit to be Martini Bar will tell you that (and you too will feel right at home)

It just is a cruise line that is a wee bit sophisticated, mostly couples, who appreciate what I can only term as "Date Night"

A cruise line that sells itself on "Modern Luxury" and a non run of the mill atmosphere

If someone wants to do something else on Formal Nights... Hey that is ok too, and Celebrity does provide lots of options

The incidents happen on this CC Boards, when those same people tell the majority who like Date Night that we are old fashioned, or that Dress Code be damned they plan to crash the party in the MDR just to spite the rules

So many would say (myself included)... Situations get off the rails cause some people just come here looking to pick fights / insult Celebrity Cruisers who are very content with status quo

If it means that much to the provokers, then perhaps they would find another cruise line to their liking that doesn't have Formal Nights anymore

Or have done better homework in reading / researching the cruise line BEFORE they bought their vacation

Don't understand people who buy X but all the time wish it was really Y or Z (or worse decide it is their personal mission to make X into Y or Z)

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Just some of the responses seemed kind of harsh. We want an upscale experience but not a stuffy snub nose one.

I could not agree with you more! There have been so many times that I have read posts on here, probably more than not.... Where someone has been brutally beatin up over something they commented on. At times I think it's like vultures waiting for prey!! This is called "cruise critic" but people don't have to be so critical of each other! I understand that there are people out there that want nothing more than to have a good debate but enough is enough. Post where people say God you're a horrible germaphobe, or I bet your house is really clean, or god you're a really bad parent is completely uncalled for. Admittedly I have not read every post that is on cruise critic but the ones I have read every single one of them I find somebody that is trying to bash someone else. It gets downright sickening. But then maybe I'm all wrong maybe that's what cruise critic is all about and maybe I'm just on the wrong forum!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

We cruise twice a year with Celebrity and have seen everything from "farmer's" bib overalls with a long sleeve white shirt to tails and top hat, all during formal night in the MDR. While women do often receive compliments for dressier formal attire, only one time have we seen a "incident" - maître d' and very underdressed man filled with a lot of Jack Daniels.

Due to an extended overseas (Europe) vacation then return to USA via Celebrity, we will skip the formal nights in the MDR this time (save suitcase space) and stay smart casual for dinner elsewhere.

Relax and enjoy the cruise. Celebrity passengers are laid back and fun-loving. Of course there will be a grouch aboard somewhere. Be like us-laugh at him/her behind his/her back, and enjoy the cruise!

I haven't read all the posts - topic comes up quite regularly - but I can honestly say that a Celebrity cruise is not a stuffy snub nose one. Just go and enjoy - dress for a nice evening out and you will be fine.

We like dressing and I love my hubby in his tux but even I no longer wear long evening dresses - just very comfortable cocktail ones. Other evenings slacks and blouses - not even sparkly ones! Lol

Don't judge Celebrity from posts just go and enjoy - then make your own judgement.

Could you run into someone who is stuffy and snobby, sure just like everywhere. The good thing that I've noticed on Celebrity is that those folks are few and far between, as most people just want to have a great time and don't care what others are doing. Just go and enjoy yourself and don't worry about others...it is a big ship and you can avoid those you don't want to be around.

Wow, after reading some of these posts, I'm wondering if my husband and I made a mistake booking a Celebrity Cruise. Now before anyone jumps down my throat, we do dress up for formal nights.

You have not made an error:) As others have said, the on ship experience is nothing like what happens here on CC. You will be fine.

We too dress, IOHO, very nicely on formal evenings.

1471156007_2ndformal.jpg.af9e535c72467cddb1a9bab8186ee12a.jpg

871310600_1stformal.jpg.cef2be4a6640b173ac2ace2ce02564b6.jpg

Enjoyed our Summit cruise so much we booked it again. You didn't make a mistake, there are a few posters here that take cruising way too seriously.

Dress up a bit on formal night and have fun!!!!

You haven't said what your previous cruise experience has been but I am guessing you won't be disappointed.

Celebrity is a mass-market cruise line. Nothing more, nothing less. In some ways virtually indistinguishable from Princess for example (we've sailed both many, many times and I swear if you parachuted us into a ship without telling us what it was would be hard pressed to tell the difference).

I can't imagine not enjoying myself on Celebrity, as you shouldn't, but don't make the mistake of believing that it something that it is not. It is no more "Modern Luxury" than any of the other 6 lines we have sailed, some considerably less and some considerably more. A cruise, or any trip, is what you make of it. Go and enjoy the experience and the people and don't worry about what goes on here.

Not bothered reading through the thread because if it's like every other one I've ever read on dress code it will have deteriorated into a bit of a slanging match. Formal night dress code for us has always been dinner suit for myself and fancy dress for my wife ( by that I don't mean a clowns outfit). We think that's the traditional way and we both like to dress up on a cruise. We realise many don't like to dress to that level these days but we do and will continue to do even if I end up the only man in the room in a dinner suit. After that it's up to the cruise line to enforce dress code or not, of the lines we have cruised with Cunard were the strictest.

Not bothered reading through the thread because if it's like every other one I've ever read on dress code it will have deteriorated into a bit of a slanging match. Formal night dress code for us has always been dinner suit for myself and fancy dress for my wife ( by that I don't mean a clowns outfit). We think that's the traditional way and we both like to dress up on a cruise. We realise many don't like to dress to that level these days but we do and will continue to do even if I end up the only man in the room in a dinner suit. After that it's up to the cruise line to enforce dress code or not, of the lines we have cruised with Cunard were the strictest.

Why bother posting then!! 😏

My wife and I have just come back from our first cruise (on celebrity in the Med). This was our fear, my wife has a particular hatrid for snooty behaviour.

Based on our cruise, you should have no fear. We didn't find any snooty behaviour at all. Every one was very relaxed and just appeared keen to enjoy their holiday. If I had to guess I'd say Most people on our cruise seemed to fit into the "working people (or people who used to work) who've done alright for themselves. It wasn't snooty nor was it butlins (cheap holiday camp)

You'll always find someone having a moan about something- I'm told by some it's too hot in paradise!!

Nothing Stuffy or Snubby about Celebrity.

The incidents happen on this CC Boards, when those same people tell the majority who like Date Night that we are old fashioned, or that Dress Code be damned they plan to crash the party in the MDR just to spite the rules

So many would say (myself included)... Situations get off the rails cause some people just come here looking to pick fights / insult Celebrity Cruisers who are very content with status quo

If it means that much to the provokers, then perhaps they would find another cruise line to their liking that doesn't have Formal Nights anymore

Or have done better homework in reading / researching the cruise line BEFORE they bought their vacation

Don't understand people who buy X but all the time wish it was really Y or Z (or worse decide it is their personal mission to make X into Y or Z)

Cheers!

You nailed it.

Seems to me that most of the "excitement" is generated from posters asking what they can get away with and then becoming snarky when they get an answer they do not like...

Cheating the drink packages, trying to dine in Blu when not booked in Aqua, hogging lounge chairs and not wanting to dress formally on formal night.

Edited by Rob the Cruiser

My wife and I have just come back from our first cruise (on celebrity in the Med). This was our fear, my wife has a particular hatrid for snooty behaviour.

Based on our cruise, you should have no fear. We didn't find any snooty behaviour at all. Every one was very relaxed and just appeared keen to enjoy their holiday. If I had to guess I'd say Most people on our cruise seemed to fit into the "working people (or people who used to work) who've done alright for themselves. It wasn't snooty nor was it butlins (cheap holiday camp)

You'll always find someone having a moan about something- I'm told by some it's too hot in paradise!!

Welcome back!

Glad you had a wonderful Celebrity experience. I've always found Celebrity cruisers to be fun, happy and well traveled. How did everyone dress for formal nights?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I didn't spot anyone in the MDR not meeting the formal night requirements, perhaps one or two didn't have a jacket but that was as far as rebellion went - hardly a hanging offence, but if I'm honest I didn't look too hard, and if there were deviations from the requirements then I didn't spot em and frankly there were too few to care about.

If I recall correctly on the three formal nights on this Med cruise, the vast majority of people seemed to make an effort - men will not feel out of place in a dark suit. On other nights smart casual was the norm, and again everyone had clearly spruced themselves up we saw no one dressing down for dinner but I and several hundred other men felt comfortable in our polo shirts.

I think it would be fare to say on our 14 night med cruise people tended to dress for dinner, I.e. We saw no one in sunbathing gear at night in the MDR - no one!

A strange thing - SWMBO, who is perhaps both the most fervent anti dressy up person and yet at the same time is actually quite posh said that Celebrity had got it just right! There is a general push towards dressing up on formal night but nothing that should make anyone feel uncomfortable.

I

Edited by DYKWIA

This will be our fifth cruise. The first four have been on RCCL. I guess we have been spoiled since the first two cruises we were able to drive to the terminal and I could take a ton of luggage. The last two cruises I packed maybe a dress or two but packed a pair of slacks and dressy blouses. This cruise I'm trying to take two long dresses and maybe one shorter cocktail dress but I'm thinking about the slacks again. It's not that I'm against dressing up, it's just trying to pack smartly.

This will be our fifth cruise. The first four have been on RCCL. I guess we have been spoiled since the first two cruises we were able to drive to the terminal and I could take a ton of luggage. The last two cruises I packed maybe a dress or two but packed a pair of slacks and dressy blouses. This cruise I'm trying to take two long dresses and maybe one shorter cocktail dress but I'm thinking about the slacks again. It's not that I'm against dressing up, it's just trying to pack smartly.

Which ever you choose, you will be just fine.