Princess crew member calls Carnival a rust bucket??

Tapi

Well, let's face it, the fantasy class is way past it's prime. Sure you can have a good time on them but they are dated. They need to be sold off. The cabin interiors are akin to a college dorm. The showroom has support columns that block the view. The pools are tiny. There is only a handful of balconies, etc, etc. And to top it off, the short cruises these ships do are the highest price per day. So basically you pay more for less. The ships are a cash cow for carnival but contribute to the reputation of being the Wal-Mart of the Seas.

Carnival has the Fun Ships the others can only wish they did. Short cruises command a premium because long weekends are popular with both partiers and families. People who might not be able to take a week or more off can drive to a port and jump on a cruise ship. There is a demand and Carnival has the supply.

Wal-Mart of the Seas? Hardly. Royal has a lock on Shopping Malls of the Seas.

As Carnival is scheduling dry docks for some Fantasy ships in 2015, and no new builds currently scheduled after Vista, Fantasy ships are going to be around for a while longer. They are paid for and profitable.

Meanwhile I see Princess is dumping one of theirs.

Edited by andy.capitan

Carnival has the Fun Ships the others can only wish they did. Short cruises command a premium because long weekends are popular with both partiers and families. People who might not be able to take a week or more off can drive to a port and jump on a cruise ship. There is a demand and Carnival has the supply.

Wal-Mart of the Seas? Hardly. Royal has a lock on Shopping Malls of the Seas.

As Carnival is scheduling dry docks for some Fantasy ships in 2015, and no new builds currently scheduled after Vista, Fantasy ships are going to be around for a while longer. They are paid for and profitable.

Meanwhile I see Princess is dumping one of theirs.

Being Wal-Mart of the Seas has nothing to do with shopping. Carnival doesn't have a ship that comes close to the new RCCL ships. Princess is selling the ship because it no longer meets it's high standard. Meanwhile carnival continues to lower it's standard.

Being Wal-Mart of the Seas has nothing to do with shopping. Carnival doesn't have a ship that comes close to the new RCCL ships. Princess is selling the ship because it no longer meets it's high standard. Meanwhile carnival continues to lower it's standard.

Yep. Royal is going deeper into debt at a time when they are having trouble filling the ships they are building at the prices they need to get. New York's loss is China's gain.

Edited by andy.capitan

Well, let's face it, the fantasy class is way past it's prime. Sure you can have a good time on them but they are dated. They need to be sold off. The cabin interiors are akin to a college dorm. The showroom has support columns that block the view. The pools are tiny. There is only a handful of balconies, etc, etc. And to top it off, the short cruises these ships do are the highest price per day. So basically you pay more for less. The ships are a cash cow for carnival but contribute to the reputation of being the Wal-Mart of the Seas.

Oh please, yes some members of the Fantasy class are older as cruise ships go and may not have the biggest and best features but the ships are still relevant and can hardly be considered dated as they continue to attract millions of passengers and successfully serve the all important short cruise market, while consistently providing a steady source of revenue. Also, stating that these "old ships" are the reason that some people equate the Carnival brand with Walmart/trashy people is ridiculous.

P.S. I'm in college now and my I wish my room was this nice:

Balcony%20cabinpg-vertical.jpg

Been on one princess cruise, a transatlantic. It was really nice and I do think their food was better, but a set up - NOT! I'm a senior citizen and I was one of the youngest on that cruise. They rolled up the hallways at 8pm. I've been on many carnival cruises and I like the younger more festive crowd. I will sail Princess again and would recommend either them or carnival since I think both lines have much to offer.

As far as the comment, I can understand why he said it. Princess is the only line that I've been on where I meet true snobs who were rude and seriously looked down their nose at you once they learned that you sailed Carnival. funny thing is that most of the ones I meet had never been on Carnival ship.

I don't know about the East coast, but on the West coast, even the 3 & 4 day cruises attract an older demographic. On one cruise the fastest song at karaoke was "My Way".:D

I agree with your statement about Princess cruiser looking down their noses at Carnival. I too have talked to many people on my Princess cruises and they put down Carnival even though they had never cruised on Carnival.

Yawn. Fantasy class is old. Walmart of seas. Very original.

Never saw rust on any of the 4 fantasy class ships I've been on, which is the ignorant and inappropriate remark that was posted about a crew member of a sister ship. I agree with those that say it was unnecessary. BTW there are seats in front of columns in the Freedom theather. And in the one I was in here at home last Friday. So what's your point?

I'd take it as just a lame joke and move on. Similar to the time we were docked and a bunch of people were on deck watching as several police cars came wailing toward the pier. A crew member cracked "Well, there is a Carnival ship in port". lol. I am pretty sure it is all supposed to be in good fun.

Tapi, I normally agree with your posts but in this case I say - so what? I hear cruise line rivalry joking all the time and frankly, Carnival does get the brunt of the jokes. With recent events, they are an easy target.

I see nothing unprofessional with companies making fun of one another. After all, they are inanimate objects. I'd be more worried about the people who actually take offense to such jokes.

Carnival does get the brunt of the jokes. With recent events, they are an easy target.

I see nothing unprofessional with companies making fun of one another. After all, they are inanimate objects. I'd be more worried about the people who actually take offense to such jokes.

Oh I know. Part of me feels the same way as you. Carnival has become a target for jokes and comments of this kind recently, and I'll admit to laugh along when the media pokes fun at them. Like you say, Carnival is an inanimate object.

What I had an issue with was not the comment that was made, it's who it came from; a crew member who works for the same corporation. IMHO it lacked professionalism.

Maybe it's because of my line of work, since I'm in the airline industry. We are not allowed to make comments of this kind and in fact, I could be disciplined for it. :(

BTW, the reason why I'm replying even though it's the next morning is because we are STILL docked in Los Angeles because the ship is having mechanical issues. Ironic, isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

BTW, the reason why I'm replying even though it's the next morning is because we are STILL docked in Los Angeles because the ship is having mechanical issues. Ironic, isn't it?

LOL, now that is ironic! If I saw that crew member again during the cruise I'd be sure to make a jab about that!

And like the previous poster said I tend to agree with your posts and this is no exception. Very unprofessional no doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

People are so sensitive... about a brand :eek:. Get over it already.

Amen! An employee trying to keep people occupied makes a joke, whether you think its funny or not. I've been on ships and the comedian made jokes about the ship, rooms, food, passengers, walkers and scooters etc. Turn down the sensitivity gauge and relax after all, You're On A Cruise :D

Oh I know. Part of me feels the same way as you. Carnival has become a target for jokes and comments of this kind recently, and I'll admit to laugh along when the media pokes fun at them. Like you say, Carnival is an inanimate object.

What I had an issue with was not the comment that was made, it's who it came from; a crew member who works for the same corporation. IMHO it lacked professionalism.

Maybe it's because of my line of work, since I'm in the airline industry. We are not allowed to make comments of this kind and in fact, I could be disciplined for it. :(

Hope you get moving soon:)

That's exactly why I said it's unprofessional. I don't currently work, but when I did, had I trash talked any competition to customers, I would have been disciplined, rightfully so.

Would any answers change if a flight attendant had said, while waiting to give the emergency demo, "Be glad you're not flying on Sister Airline, that airline is such a bag of crap and we're so much better"?

Hope you're off soon, Tapi!

Edited by irishnyc

That's exactly why I said it's unprofessional. I don't currently work, but when I did, had I trash talked any competition to customers, I would have been disciplined, rightfully so.

Would any answers change if a flight attendant had said, while waiting to give the emergency demo, "Be glad you're not flying on Sister Airline, that airline is such a bag of crap and we're so much better"?

Hope you're off soon, Tapi!

Agreed. People can take a joke but for one it wasn't funny and two it is tacky and unprofessional. Even if other lines have done it. Not my idea of a good way to pass the time to cruising guests. Where I work you don't make disparaging remarks about sister companies or competitors while performing your job. What you say off the clock is a different story.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

Oh the irony. Once, one of the comedians in RCIs Enchantmentt remarked 'why are the toilets so powerful? They must be launching it to Carnival'. Guess what?! The next morning, none of the toilets worked. [emoji32]

If you feel this way, can I assume that you have already reported the employee's comment to a supervisor or guest services before starting this thread? If not, :confused:

Very unprofessional but than again JH does it to the competition all the time.

Very true. We're onboard the Caribbean now, but haven't heard any comments from employees that are degrading towards competing cruise operators or other subsidiaries of Carnival Corporation.

Edited by Disconnections

If you feel this way, can I assume that you have already reported the employee's comment to a supervisor or guest services before starting this thread? If not, :confused:

On a cruise we will see negative things from time to time but only if very bad will we report it to someone. I chalk this up and unprofessional but not something I would take to another level.

On a cruise we will see negative things from time to time but only if very bad will we report it to someone. I chalk this up and unprofessional but not something I would take to another level.

That was my point, nor would I have started a thread on CC about it. I don't think Tapi is offended as much as bored that the cruise vaca hasn't started yet! :)