Honor bar question

Golfgrl1911

Just out of curiosity does anyone really use the Honor Bar in their cabins?

Nope, but if I wanted a rum and cola the little bottles of rum are the same price as at the bar, so I wouldn't hesitate to get one (if we brought our own cola, anyway).

We have. The small bottles of liquor and the cans of soda make it easy to have an in cabin mixed drink that is no more expensive than a bar drink. And you don't have to wait for room service to bring it.

Also, a soda by itself is the same price as the sodas in the bar. A refreshing drink after port day while changing clothes.

Edited by NMLady

Nope. Never used it.

First cruise I had it locked so my then 11 year old son couldn't get to it.

Last cruise we had it emptied to use for my wine, water, beer and cartons of milk from the buffet for my now 19 year old son.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

As an aside, it isn't an "honor bar" in the traditional sense.

In the "good old days" you were supposed to report anything you consumed to the front desk of the hotel so they could charge you for it. Hence the term "honor bar" because you were on your honor to report your consumption. That isn't generally the case today in either hotels or on cruise ships, where an employee does an inventory of the mini bar. In some hotels the mini bar has sensors that detect if you remove anything...and you could even get charged for something that you picked up to look at but eventually returned to the mini bar.

As an aside, it isn't an "honor bar" in the traditional sense.

In the "good old days" you were supposed to report anything you consumed to the front desk of the hotel so they could charge you for it. Hence the term "honor bar" because you were on your honor to report your consumption. That isn't generally the case today in either hotels or on cruise ships, where an employee does an inventory of the mini bar. In some hotels the mini bar has sensors that detect if you remove anything...and you could even get charged for something that you picked up to look at but eventually returned to the mini bar.

Once upon a time while staying at the Bellagio in Vegas I moved a couple of bottles to put some left over food in the mini fridge and at checkout they tried to charge me for consumption. It took a few minutes but it was cleared up and consequently I wasn't charged. That was when I learned about not even moving them! lol

It's not an honor bar. It's there as a matter of convenience. Whether you fill out the little form or not is of no consequence. It is checked daily, and you will be charged. As for using it - yes, we do. The kids always take the gummy bears and soda, I take the water, and we usually end up drinking 1 or 2 of the wines.

I am too much a germaphobe to use this...I can only imagine how long those items have been in the fridge, and the countless number of hands that might have touched them. Even worse, where they might have been placed to make room for something else...

No thanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Forums mobile app

I am too much a germaphobe to use this...I can only imagine how long those items have been in the fridge, and the countless number of hands that might have touched them. Even worse, where they might have been placed to make room for something else...

No thanks.

I'm a polar opposite of a germophobe.. If I worried about everyone that touched could drive one crazy. I call it my perpetual flu shot ;)

I have them empty to make room for various items for myself. They're not that cold anyway.

We always use it for soda and water - the prices are the same for drinks from the minibar as anywhere else on board. :)

No, the prices are higher for at least sodas and liqours. A can of soda is about 7% ($2.10 in bars vs $2.25 in cabin) more expensive and liquors are up to several dollars more. (That is before the 15% added to both.)

If one would make a rum and coke with Bacardi Superior and a can of Pepsi from the mini bar, it'd cost them $9.25 before the 15% restocking fee when the same drink in a bar is $5.75 before the 15% auto-gratuity. Granted that one could make two drinks from the soda can so unit price for making two drinks in cabin would be a bit lower - but still significantly more than in a bar.

Here is johnql's picture of the mini bar menu: http://s636.photobucket.com/user/johnql/media/Jewel%20Cruise%20112512/Menus-Food-Miscellaneous/IMG_5949.jpg.html

No thanks.

No different than getting something from a grocery store shelf.

Nope. Never used it.

First cruise I had it locked so my then 11 year old son couldn't get to it.

Last cruise we had it emptied to use for my wine, water, beer and cartons of milk from the buffet for my now 19 year old son.

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

Ditto. We bring on cans of Coke. :)