NCL deluxe owners suite. Will I miis balcony?

Suitesweet

5 adults travelling together, the price for 2 balconies plus drinks, etc.. It was surprisingly just as expensive to stay in a deluxe owners suite # 12000. On the NCL Dawn to Bermuda. Unfortunately no balcony.can anyone tell me if I made the right choice, how much will I miss an open cabin?

Thank you in advance for your honest answers. Love this venue, so informative!🐱

5 adults travelling together, the price for 2 balconies plus drinks, etc.. It was surprisingly just as expensive to stay in a deluxe owners suite # 12000. On the NCL Dawn to Bermuda. Unfortunately no balcony.can anyone tell me if I made the right choice, how much will I miss an open cabin?

You are on the lido deck so you just have a short walk to get some of the effect of a balcony.

This is a difficult question to answer. Every one is different and what is important to me, may not be at all important to someone else. I know my DH and I would miss a balcony a great deal. You also don't say if you are all related, friends or exactly what the relation is. That will also play a huge part. My DH and I had much rather have our own "space" where we can do pretty much whatever without being scared of someone walking in or always having to try to make five people happy.

Really, you five are the only ones that can make this decision. What were the other's in your party of five thoughts on the subject?

Recently, I too had to make this type of decision. Do I upgrade to the DOS (in my case, the Star) or stay in our 2 bedroom family suite.

Without getting into the financial details which also influenced my choice, I chose to stick with the 2br suite. I admit that the balcony was a big factor in making that choice.

Everybody needs a place to call home, even on a cruise ship. And I don't think I could live in a home without a back deck, or front porch, or whatever you want to call it. I need a place of quiet solitude to drink my coffee in the morning. I also need a place away from the masses to unwind before retiring for the night. And the only place onboard I can do that in a place that feels like the comfort of home is on my own private balcony.

We were in a DOS twice on the Dawn, and we absolutely loved the room. I really didn't think I missed the balcony that much, but this year traveling in a suite with a balcony corrected me! I so enjoyed sitting in my lounge chair with a good book watching the sea go by. I'm not sure I could cruise without a balcony again now that I remember what I was missing!

We recently had 12002, one of the end DOS, but it can't fit 5 people, unfortunately.

THE VIEW WAS AMAZING. The entire front, side, and bit of rear "wall" was all Floor-to-Ceiling windows. ALL.

Note that in the "floorplan" shown online, that REAR facing window, and part of the side window area seem to be shown as solid walls. Not so!

It was right over the Bridge, and the view was the same.

(Well, not quite, as the windows get a bit dirty, including what seemed to be between double panes, so cleaning wouldn't have done much to help. But we quickly didn't even notice.)

I've tried to post our icon/photo of a view taken from bed, facing forward, showing two pairs of feet, and there's a small speed boat in the water for our entertainment :)

We could just pick up our heads in the middle of the night, and see the water rushing in front of us in the moonlight. Anywhere we looked, we saw the sea, clouds, sky, stars.

Or watch the dawn brighten up the sky and water, from the Dawn.

And because the "side ends" also stick out beyond the regular width of the ship, as the Bridge does, we could also look all the way down the side of the ship.

The space was also amazing. It was huge.

This was DH's first cruise, and I wanted to do my best to make sure he had a good chance to fall in love with cruising. (He did!)

We didn't miss having a balcony at all; the "Room with a View" [from the Bridge!] was unbelievable.

However, because of allergies, we realized that we probably do need a place for some fresh air a bit more.

We are going on the Dawn next year, and it's been a real struggle to imagine the trip - any trip, actually - without that view!

The middle two of the 4 DOS are configured differently. They have 2 BR and 2 BA. Although they still have some of those amazing floor to ceiling windows, because the suite is longer and narrower, there is less "window space". Our neighbors kindly gave us a look at their suite, and there is still that same view from the bed :)

GeezerCouple

Edited by GeezerCouple

A few things that are important to us when picking a suite.

* Is the living area SEPARATE with doors from from the bedroom(s)

(vs just a big room)

* Comfortable place for friends to gather and sit

* FRESH AIR - meaning a balcony.

We always tried for the OS with two balconies. After sailing in one of the new owners suites with the wall of glass, that's all we book now. Got one coming up and another in the works. Some of the nicest suites we've ever been in. There is plenty of places to get the wind in our faces if we want it.

We always tried for the OS with two balconies. After sailing in one of the new owners suites with the wall of glass, that's all we book now. Got one coming up and another in the works. Some of the nicest suites we've ever been in. There is plenty of places to get the wind in our faces if we want it.

And, there you go!

Some like it this way. And some like it that way.

We are staying for the first time in one of the SJ's sans balcony. I'm wondering if I will miss it. I love to stand out there and watch the world go by and the waves. Love the sound of the sea as well. I will say the last two times we didn't use it as much as usual. Too much wind the one time and oppressive humidity the second. I couldn't beat the price for the two suites for our group of 8.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are considering a Dawn DOS for our next cruise. I've seen both floor plans and poured over youtube videos. I love the ones with the larger living room space as we do spend time in our suite and I know I won't miss the balcony as we have done the Family Suite without balcony and the pool is close enough. My question has to do with the placement of the bathroom - did anyone find it inconvenient to have it away from the bedroom? and having to walk through the living space is it a bother to someone sleeping on the pull out? Thanks for any info you can offer - I know the 2 bedroom family suite would suit us better but I love those windows:)

I have the DOS 12002 reserved for next Oct on the Dawn. I booked that suite along with the garden villa as we have 11 people total (3 children) and wanted to be sure everyone had suite perks (such as cagneys for breakfast and lunch). I got a great deal on that suite and it will give me a good chance to see if we will like this sort of room or not. We will have plenty of balcony space on the garden villa :). The DOS will mainly be sleeping/showering space for my daughter and her friend as they will spend most of the time in GV with us.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Forums mobile app

We are balcony nuts and the first time we booked 12000 I was a little worried about the lack of balcony. Then we got onboard and it was GREAT!!! The windows in the living room, the ability to lie in bed and look out over the front of the ship, the 2 bathrooms, the service.... we (and others in our family) do the Boston to Bermuda trip every fall and this year, again, we are booked in 12000. If you want to go outside you just go out your door, around your entry hall and there is an exit door to a wonderful almost private (most people NEVER use it or the hot tub) balcony area!! 5 people? No problem. Go on YouTube and look at the tour of 12000. Granted, the video seems to have been done during turnover so beds are unmade, stuff is lying around, but really: don't worry. I hope you like 12000. We are leaving at the end of October so let me know if you have any other questions!:cool: margretha

I couldn't sail w/out a balcony .... and definitely not a tiny one, either ;)

HI HAS ANYONE GOT IN ON" NORWEGIAN PERFECT 10 DEAL"

I UNDERSTAND IT YOU GET 10 PERCENT BACK ON A CRUISE CREDIT.

SO MY QUESTION IS DO YOU THINK YOU CAN QUALIFY IF YOU HAVE NOT PAID YOUR MONEY. JUST PUT DOWN YOUR DEPOSIT.:confused:

All caps are like SHOUTING.

Also, hard to figure out what you are asking.

We love the balcony and use it a a lot! DH and I love to spend time out there.

Our first choice is usually a two bedroom suite. If we couldn't book one of those, we would choose adjoining balconies.

However, as you read above, many people are very happy with other cabins:)!

I bet you'll have a great time!!

Thank you all for your generous responses. We will be all family members, from My mother at 81, me at 54, my sister at 50, and her 2 boys 20 and 18 by the time of the cruise May 2015. We are all very used to travelling together and a cruise is perfect for such various ages. Just saying the words 'cruise' is such a thrill! I think no balcony will be fine given the nearness of outdoors.

So looking forward to it.

Coming out of Boston in early spring, I imagine the balcony would be chilly until we get close to Bermuda

I'm with Valleyvillage........we have a deck 12 suite booked on the Dawn next September for a Canada/New England crise and can't wait. I had my kids families in those cabins on our Star cruise Jan 13 and they were great cabins.

I think that with the pool deck just down the hall it will be OK.

In 2013 I was in one of the DOS suites on deck 12, for a 12 day repo cruise.

The living area was large, the bathroom had a luxurious walk-in shower, a spa bathtub, his and her vessel sinks, and the separate bedroom had a king bed.

The floor to ceiling windows provided a panoramic view. Those who have been in the former Spinnaker Lounge will know what I'm takling abiut. This suite was once part of that lounge.

Did I miss a balcony? not really, because the lido deck was down the hall. The suite perks more than made up for the loss of balcony. I would definitely choose this suite again.