Alaska cruise ?

critcatny

Hi, I've begun doing my homework to plan an Alaska cruise next year. Question: I've heard people say that Princess is one of the best lines to cruise to Alaska on.....but why? Are there any major differences with Princess over the other lines that you can inform me of? We've never cruised on Princess at all so I'm not familiar with it. We have been to the Caribbean on Carnival, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

ALSO:

Does Princess have a naturalist on board the whole week to describe what you are seeing while on the ship? I've heard some only have that while in Glacier Bay and .some have it the whole cruise.

Thanks

Princess and Holland America have been doing cruises to Alaska longer than the other cruise lines. They have the infrastructure in place, especially if you're doing a cruise tour that includes a land portion. But even just on their cruises they have the connections to make it special.

There is a naturalist on board the ship for the whole cruise. The narration he or she gives depends on what's around. On one cruise, the naturalist let us know where to spot some whales. While we cruising Tracy Arm, the naturalist pointed out the wildlife and talked about glaciers. The naturalist also gave lectures in the theater.

In Glacier Bay, National Park Service rangers board the ship. They also give presentations, set up displays, and talk.

I have over 40 cruises with Royal Caribbean & Celebrity, but I chose Princess for our second Alaskan cruise last week. Mainly due to their ability to go into Glacier Bay which is a national park that you don't want to miss. In Glacier Bay about 5 Park Rangers boarded the ship and gave running commentary all day.

There was also a naturalist on board who gave presentations on sea days.

The land portion is extensive with many options.

I would encourage you to read the Alaska boards to make your decisions. We did 8 days on land prior to the southbound cruise & I wish we had done more. We are making plans to go back.

Alaska is Amazing! Enjoy!

Going in August 2015 with 8 days on land first, and then on the Coral Princess. I love that ship. Went through the Panama Canal on her in Feb./March of 2013. I did the Inside Passage in 2004 but am anxious to return. i'm sure I'll want to return after this trip too. Alaska fascinates!

I believe Princess has cruised Alaska longer than any others. And HAL is based in Seattle. So both have the experience and connections.

And, of course, they are both part of the same company so can share, too (not knowing if they do but they sure could).

We've cruised Alaska on both Princess and HAL and loved them both!

Princess transfers are one other plus. If you book the Princess transfers, they do a great job of taking your bags at the airport, and then getting you to the ship without any hassle. Very smooth. You don't struggle with your bags again until you unpack them in your cabin:)

Princess does this exceptionally well in Seattle. I love it.

If I may sound in too, Alaska is not to be missed.

We vacation on a budget and Alaska took some creative planning to do, you can make choices for yourself what's important to YOU.

I wanted Glacier Bay. I believed the stories that if you only go once, it should not be missed. Only some ships and lines get permits to enter, it's a protected area I believe. I chose not to do a land portion as that put the cost way out of reach. I also chose a R\T cruise from Seattle as R\T air was better than 2 one way flights from the east coast.

All that taken into consideration, we were then able to go, and share the experience with our DD and 8yo granddaughter.

Holland America fit into all the needs I had. We had, for us, the trip of a lifetime.

Any way you can get there, go!

Hi, I've begun doing my homework to plan an Alaska cruise next year. Question: I've heard people say that Princess is one of the best lines to cruise to Alaska on.....but why? Are there any major differences with Princess over the other lines that you can inform me of? We've never cruised on Princess at all so I'm not familiar with it. We have been to the Caribbean on Carnival, Celebrity and Royal Caribbean.

ALSO:

Does Princess have a naturalist on board the whole week to describe what you are seeing while on the ship? I've heard some only have that while in Glacier Bay and .some have it the whole cruise.

Thanks

Having sailed on many cruise lines including Princess, but only Celebrity to Alaska, I must say we had a wonderful time. I do recall a narration by a person when we were at the Glaciers, not sure of his credentials. The information was very interesting as was the cruise.

Overall, we prefer Celebrity, so my vote would be that you consider it as an option. The food, entertainment, less crowded then princess is the reason why.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

ALSO:

Thanks

I believe that Princess is the only major cruise line that on their one way cruises has two different glacier days. Northbound visiting Glacier Bay National Park and College Fjord and Southbound visiting Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay National Park. In addition to the naturist on board they also will have guest lecturers that come on board on different days. In 2009 and 2012 they had Libby Riddles as lecturer in Juneau. She was the first woman to win the Iditarod.

I believe Princess has cruised Alaska longer than any others. And HAL is based in Seattle. So both have the experience and connections.

And, of course, they are both part of the same company so can share, too (not knowing if they do but they sure could).

We've cruised Alaska on both Princess and HAL and loved them both!

Carnival PLC operates each of its many cruise lines like a separate company. There does not seem to be any sharing between the various cruise lines.

If Libby Riddles(? first female Iditarod champ) and her dogs still come onboard all Princess ships that call in Juneau to do her lecture and meet/greet passengers, that might steer you to Princess over other lines.

Yes, she was on board in Juneau for a lecture when we were on Star Princess last month.