What's next after Quantum?

DJan07

If I were running the company, I would invest in river cruising, either by buying Viking or another line, or building some "Wow" inspired river boats. At minimum, I would try to do some kind of reciprocal agreement with loyalty points and joint marketing.

...It looks like they stole my idea...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6041

I am hoping that they come out with a new design for the 'Vision' sized ships. We have been on Enchanment and Legend and they have been our favorites.

I dont see that happening anytime soon if ever in my lifetime(42)

Fact is, these bigger ships and especially Oasis-class bigger ships will have a heck of a time 1) at destinations where tendering is required 2) filling up at the less popular departure ports like New Orleans 3) fitting through the Panama Canal.

There are many "bigger is better, and RCL won't ever go with anything smaller on a future ship because that's where the bucks are at." DISAGREE. The bucks are there if the cabins are all full, and everyone pays close to full price, and there's no need to offer discounting and sales. More passengers also means more staff, more food, more oil to power the ship, more bandwidth for the wi-fi, more expenses, more fixed costs, more cash outlays. If bigger is the only possible answer for income, how come Southwest flies 737's instead of 747's?

Because also if even bigger ships come on line and the economy takes a dumper, or another Carnival Triumph situation, or we have some other global scare like SARS that curtails travel, that's gonna hurt big time, immediately. I'd much rather be trying to fill a 2500-capacity ship in that condition than a 6000.

You can chisel this one into my profile: what RCL needs to do now is take stock of what they've done with the Anthem and Quantum, improving the passenger experience, the venues, and incorporation the Dynamic Dining concept they want to make fleet wide (let's see them try to fit that on a Vision-class ship during a dry dock) and distill the highlights of the experience into a ship about 3/5 to ⅔ the size.

And one that stinks for me as a traveler but works for me as an RCL stockholder: if there are fewer available cabins, they can charge more for them.

Or, there's always Celebrity. Been a few years since they've laid keel on a new ship. Maybe they go forward with volume for RCL and intimacy for Celebrity?

That's less of a consideration than you may think given that the Nicaragua Canal, scheduled to open in 2019, is being built to accommodate post-Panamax ships and that the Panama Canal itself is being expanded by the addition of a third set of locks designed to accommodate post-Panamax ships which should be open for transit in early 2016.

That's less of a consideration than you may think given that the Nicaragua Canal, scheduled to open in 2019, is being built to accommodate post-Panamax ships and that the Panama Canal itself is being expanded by the addition of a third set of locks designed to accommodate post-Panamax ships which should be open for transit in early 2016.

It's unclear if Royal's largest ships (Voyager class and later) will be able to fit under the Bridge of the Americas, even with the larger locks.

In regards to "buying or building hotels", Carnival tried that many years ago and sold the complex off. Disney has been the only one that has branched out and they have somewhat limited success.

Disney Cruise Line: Success

Disney Vacation Club: Success when near the resorts. Limited success off property, vis a vi Vero Beach and Hilton Head. Initial plans was also was to have on in NYC but that was fairly quickly scraped. Jury is still out on the new Hawaiian resort.

With regard to Disney Vacation Club - we were members for 18 years, however we sold 2 years ago as imho DVC has become a victim of its own success with too many members trying to use too little inventory resulting in members not being able to enjoy their vacations when they want to. We tried numerous times to book a Disney Cruise with our points and told every time that we had to book 2 years in advance - just not possible for us.....

I wonder why RCI does not have a 'timeshare' product - money up front for a points (nights onboard) based system.....

Could this work I wonder ???

It's unclear if Royal's largest ships (Voyager class and later) will be able to fit under the Bridge of the Americas, even with the larger locks.

I didn't know that - looking at the Bridge's clearance, it looks like a tight fit for the <I>Voyager</I>s - all the same, there's still the Nicaragua Canal when it opens in 5 years.

I didn't know that - looking at the Bridge's clearance, it looks like a tight fit for the <I>Voyager</I>s - all the same, there's still the Nicaragua Canal when it opens in 5 years.

I had no idea the Nicaragua canal was a sure thing.

If I were running the company, I would invest in river cruising, either by buying Viking or another line, or building some "Wow" inspired river boats. At minimum, I would try to do some kind of reciprocal agreement with loyalty points and joint marketing.

I would work hard to repeal the PSVA and open up US coastal cruising.

Longer term, I would do more joint marketing with hotels (the current choice is very limited), or even start buying or building hotels. RCL needs to realize they are in the vacation business, not the ship business. I should be able to get the "Wow" experience on vacations on land too, with hotels that offer lots of activities, shows, and excursions.

Now, someone just needs to make me king! :o

All hail King...this guy...:D

I like it!

According to Manual Noreaga it is, but I think civil war will break out first imho.... and they haven't even broken any ground yet. Knowing the mass complexity and issues surrounding the delays of the new Panama Canal, I'd bet a ton of money that no Nicarguan Canal by 2019... maybe 2039! :eek::p

I think the movement is towards the floating resorts with lots of different things to do. Quantum may be the new model for the "smaller" ship, give or take a few features based on how well they are received.

Maybe a hybrid between Radiance and Freedom Class, with better shows, and new itineraries

I keep hearing talk of a new Radiance class, and I can only assume you guys mean in size. When Radiance class was revealed it was a ship for cold weather climates. A ship designed for year round cruising with a connection to the outdoors. Isn't that some of the same words used to describe Quantum class ships? I think Quantum class is the new Radiance class, just bigger, and yes less glass, but that all weather cruise ship.

I didn't know that - looking at the Bridge's clearance, it looks like a tight fit for the <I>Voyager</I>s - all the same,

Interesting to note that Quantum has a funnel retraction mechanism. Does anyone know the exact height of Quantum? Tried to quickly google but couldn't find the answer. Q can fit into the new locks and if the funnel can retract low enough maybe get under the Bridge of Americas I guess. With 18 decks though may be just way to high.

I agree with the first 3 quotes, and I too believe that Q could be a morph of Freedom + Radiance Class, the new "small ship" design.

I also mentioned on a different thread that maybe with the Majesty and all Vision ships getting really close to the magic 20-25 yr age mark, perhaps RCL should separate into two different RCL companies (ie. Chevy and Buick, Ford and Mercury) and basically offer the "RCL WOW" brand including all the wows of Voyager class and higher incl ice skating, promenade, dynamic dining, etc.... but then also reveal a new "RCL Nostalga" line which features Vision & Radiance Class ships on longer itineraries, classic style cruising with set MDR, etc.

Radiance style (not sized) ships still have an appeal. Perhaps a larger version of them might be a next in line.

I agree with this. In fact, when we were on X Eclipse last year, I thought the design for that S-class is a larger version of the Radiance-class. I liked it a lot.

Financing has been secured, a route selected, and construction is slated to start in December.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/jun/06/nicaragua-china-panama-canal

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-22899744

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/08/us-nicaragua-canal-idUSKBN0FD06Q20140708?

I still say they need to have a cantilevered lazy river running the whole perimeter of the ship, with bars strategically placed along the route.

Sign us up. :thumbup::beer::D

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

I still say they need to have a cantilevered lazy river running the whole perimeter of the ship, with bars strategically placed along the route.

Great idea !!!

Lazy river, pool bars, and infinity pool, water falls and live music!!!

During the day they can play Calypso, Reggae, Jimmy Buffet, and at night disco, dance, techno, top 40, and late night love songs...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums