New to Holland should we?

kris4842

So we have cruised a lot but only on Royal and Celebrity. we got a great deal for the Eurodam and really want to try out Holland. Celebrity is our favorite because we like the white glove treatment and we are not fans of younger cruisers. (We are in our 30's and prefer older than us) Anyway, Would Holland be a great fit. The other thing we love about Celebrity is their amazing unlimited beverages package but I have heard that Holland's isn't that great. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Only you can decide if HAL will be a good fit for you.

One thing we like about the Eurodam is the specialty restaurant Tamarind for dinner -- $20 per person.

You are right -- HAL's Signature Beverage Package is nothing like what is offered on other cruise lines.

Also compare the length of time you are in the ports on the Eurodam to the other cruise lines you have sailed on.

So we have cruised a lot but only on Royal and Celebrity. we got a great deal for the Eurodam and really want to try out Holland. Celebrity is our favorite because we like the white glove treatment and we are not fans of younger cruisers. (We are in our 30's and prefer older than us) Anyway, Would Holland be a great fit. The other thing we love about Celebrity is their amazing unlimited beverages package but I have heard that Holland's isn't that great. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Congratulations!

I rank the Eurodam above any Celebrity ship.

Nothing on high seas is closer to the best maritime traditions in design and service than the Eurodam and the Nieuw Amsterdam (except Cunard of course).

This is the most affordable luxury at sea without pretense that miraculously survived until our days and more over - is available at reasonable price.

This is your ultimate guide to the Eurodam: The Grand Tour...

Make sure you choose the Eastern itinerary (not Western) and explore the whole ship.

Hydropool & Thermal Suit is a must.

Reserve two dinners in specialty restaurants includung Tamarind.

Don't miss formal nights in MDR.

Start your day early on the promenade deck.

Buffet breakfast on the Eurodam is the best at sea (come earlier).

Beverage package..... I prefer unlimited fresh orange juice in the buffet (breakfast) on the Eurodam to any drink packages at sea.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by cruisetrail

Speaking strictly in terms of the beverage package, the wine offerings on Holland America are pretty limited compared to other cruise lines' beverage packages, and there is only one level of package available. In terms of cocktails, it's pretty workable unless you drink something that would exceed the $7 per drink limit. We tried it a few months back. My drink of choice is Maker's Mark Bourbon, which is over the limit. So, I switched to Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, or Wild Turkey instead.

Go here to read everything about the package:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41856620

If you scroll down to the 351st post in the thread, you will find a set of links to all the posts that tell you what you can and cannot get on the plan.

I think this is a very personal choice and quite subjective and dependent on itinerary. For instance, we just completed a Transatlantic on Oasis of the Seas. I would never consider this class of ship for a Caribbean cruise but on a Transatlantic, with many sea days and an older demographic, it was great. I concur with the positive comments about Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam - they are great ships with excellent specialty restaurants.

Hmmm if you are comparing to Celebrity's newest "M class" ships, the Eurodam will be different atmosphere wise. X being the "hip" and HAL being more "traditional". It's a personal choice.

We found the Eurodam to feel more "crowded" than any X ship.

We found the food pretty comparable. X having more fish entrees which is a big plus for me. X getting the big plus with the Lido lunch buffet set up. HAL breakfasts seemed nicer in the lido as I recall. We don't generally do big breakfasts.

Depending on time of year and itinerary, we have found more cruisers in their late 70's-80's. But it never is an issue for us. We blend in with most age groups. And these "older seniors" are generally in pretty darn good condition...at least at a place I'D like to be at their age!:D

If you are looking to try HAL , I think a good start will be Eurodam as it is their largest and a younger ship. Easier to compare to X. Note that the cost of basic verandah rooms will be more costly on HAL and smaller. BIG disadvantage to us on warm itineraries.

Wine choices on HAL are limited and high cost for mediocre mainstream wines. Think $40 for a bottle of Beringer white zin.:rolleyes: You can carry on one bottle per person and $15 corkage for any addtional bottles carried on. Thier drink card is not real great. Limitations make it kind of questionable. Make sure you read the details of those.

Not sure the specialty dining is any better or worse specifically on the Eurodam. Haven't eaten at that one.

. For instance, we just completed a Transatlantic on Oasis of the Seas. I would never consider this class of ship for a Caribbean cruise but on a Transatlantic, with many sea days and an older demographic, it was great. .

:cool:Now this sounds interesting. We too wouldn't use this ship for a Carib cruise. But I can see the TA as being very fun with on board activities. I better check into that! You planted a seed!

:cool:Now this sounds interesting. We too wouldn't use this ship for a Carib cruise. But I can see the TA as being very fun with on board activities. I better check into that! You planted a seed!

Oasis only did the TA en route to her dry dock in Rotterdam. She will be doing the return TA, but don't hold your breath on any more coming up in the near future, unless she is based in the Med like Allure.

Oasis only did the TA en route to her dry dock in Rotterdam. She will be doing the return TA, but don't hold your breath on any more coming up in the near future, unless she is based in the Med like Allure.

We are going to be looking in 2015 after our daughter gets married in June. Figured a TA will be just what the dr orders as a "recovery".:D

we've sailed on Celebrity, as well as a number of different cruise lines, but they left us less than impressed. We book cruises exclusively with Holland America now. Forgive me for being a cheerleader but there is no comparison. There is a certain warmth and kindness with HAL.

HAL is a nice line, just different from X. But to be honest, and all the rah rah from the devotees aside, there isn't much difference between the mass market lines. They simply offer a somewhat different product and feel on their ships. Give HAL a try and see what happens. At worst, you'll have spent a week on a nice cruise ship. HAL is more traditional, X more modern. We were on X Summit in March of this year and just got off HAL Oosterdam last Sunday. I think the food is better on X, but others won't agree. I like the size of HAL ships. Here's a tip; spend a couple hours walking the passageways on Eurodam. They're lined with photos from the golden age of ocean liners and cruising. One of my favorite days at sea was spent doing just that on Eurodam. The rest of the art collection is interesting as well. To be honest, HAL isn't our first choice, but it is in our top 3 or 4, so far. When Celebrity doesn't have an itinerary I like, I wouldn't hesitate to go on a HAL cruise. I know I'll have a nice time. If cruising is your thing, give a bunch of lines a try. God willing, you have decades to cruise. Why stay with the first couple lines you've tried? The loyalty programs aren't that great, IMO. Some you may know out of hand that you don't want to try. I get that. I haven't tried Carnival because of the party barge reputation, Cunard and Crystal hold no interest for me at all, but Star Clipper and Hurtigruten are absolutely on my list of "must try" lines. You'll have a nice time on HAL. You may find it's the line for you, or it may just be another cruise line. But you'll have spent a week on a cruise ship. And that (rarely) is a bad thing.

more traditional, X more modern. We were on X Summit in March of this year and just got off HAL Oosterdam last Sunday. .

You definitely were experiencing the "old" Celebrity on the Summit. Altho we like that ship, it is not the S class ships that are now their majority of ships. Ships from the Solstice (2008) on are the cool modern ships if that's what one likes. There are now five S class ships. Only 3 of the older smaller M class like the Summit.

You should give one of them a try.

Wine choices on HAL are limited and high cost for mediocre mainstream wines. Think $40 for a bottle of Beringer white zin. You can carry on one bottle per person and $15 corkage for any addtional bottles carried on. Thier drink card is not real great. Limitations make it kind of questionable. Make sure you read the details of those.

We are taking our first HAL cruise this December. I like Zin but at $40 I think it is a bit high. If we bring on our own and pay the $15 corkage can this cost be taken out of the $50 booze card which was given to us with our booking?

You definitely were experiencing the "old" Celebrity on the Summit. Altho we like that ship, it is not the S class ships that are now their majority of ships. Ships from the Solstice (2008) on are the cool modern ships if that's what one likes. There are now five S class ships. Only 3 of the older smaller M class like the Summit.

You should give one of them a try.

We did in 2012, 11 day Equinox W Caribbean. We really liked it. We'll go on a Solstice Class ship again. The Summit itineraries were more interesting for us the last two winters. We'll see what 2015 brings.

Wine choices on HAL are limited and high cost for mediocre mainstream wines. Think $40 for a bottle of Beringer white zin. You can carry on one bottle per person and $15 corkage for any addtional bottles carried on. Thier drink card is not real great. Limitations make it kind of questionable. Make sure you read the details of those.

We are taking our first HAL cruise this December. I like Zin but at $40 I think it is a bit high. If we bring on our own and pay the $15 corkage can this cost be taken out of the $50 booze card which was given to us with our booking?

I hope we can take the corkage out of our booze cards as there is a special on in our local bottle shop for Zin at the moment and I am tempted.

I hope we can take the corkage out of our booze cards as there is a special on in our local bottle shop for Zin at the moment and I am tempted.

You *might* be able to pay the $18 corkage if you are taking a "free" bottle to a dining venue. If you are paying the corkage as you board, it's charged to your stateroom account.

In semi-related news, why do people keep posting about Beringer White Zin? Is there some sort of cult that tracks the worldwide price of the stuff? ;)

Edited by POA1

You *might* be able to pay the $18 corkage if you are taking a "free" bottle to a dining venue. If you are paying the corkage as you board, it's charged to your stateroom account.

In semi-related news, why do people keep posting about Beringer White Zin? Is there some sort of cult that tracks the worldwide price of the stuff? ;)

It does not have to be Beringer I just like white Zinfandel and after a wine tasting on Princess last month the Red Zin as well

So the booze card $50 is somehow not actually part of the stateroom account? Do we have a card (like the Princess Coffee Card) to use instead?

It does not have to be Beringer I just like white Zinfandel and after a wine tasting on Princess last month the Red Zin as well

So the booze card $50 is somehow not actually part of the stateroom account? Do we have a card (like the Princess Coffee Card) to use instead?

Yes. You have a separate card. (Think of it as a gift card - for beverages.) The only reason I mentioned the white Zinfandel is that people always use it when comparing wine prices.

The reason you can't use the card to pay for corkage as you board is because there is no point of sale terminal on which to run the transaction there.

Edited by POA1

Interested in your experience.

I am older and love HAL BECAUSE OF THE ELEGANT, Refined ATMOSPHERE.

My last TA on X felt a bit aggressive, certainly the passengers were energetic but it seemed like a Perks Competition. There are so many perks people that the X staff couldn't deliver the goods, long lines for the internet, several days for laundry, that sort of thing. The ship was noisy.

Having said that, a lot depends on the ship. I had a nice trip on the Reflection, not so on the Silhouette.

However I have a theory about HAL service...since the crew iss from the same geographical area, they are on the same page and things go smoothly.

On X I think the multi national crew has a hard time communicating. Dining room service was chaotic.

Here more experienced people can step in....could the crew on a TA be new and in training?

Here's a thought. HAL is PBS: Celebrity is CNN. LOL

You should give HAL a try, but I suggest you keep your expectations low. The Eurodam can feel very crowded and calling it "white glove" service is laughable. You say you prefer older passengers, but keep in mind that HAL attracts a much, much older clientele. This may or may not bother you, but some people find it frustrating to be waiting for the more "mature" folks to move through lines and on excursions. HAL is no longer an upscale line, it is solidly mass market and can give you great bang for the buck. Unfortunately, those bargain fares have really watered down the experience and you may be disappointed if you are expecting something better. Have a great cruise.

We are very happy with everything about cruising on HAL, i really have nothing contrary to say about it, unless it would be that we miss the trays on the Lido..as we are getting older, that would sure make dining there easier... We cruise for the relaxation and enjoy spending most of our waking hours on our deck so don't need lots of planned entertainment like some other lines offer. HAL does have entertainment of some type nearly all day, every day, if that's what you are looking for, the food is wonderful and the ship is always clean and well taken care of. We book cruises on the Vista Class, these aren't nearly like the mega ships but we feel they are just right, for our enjoyment...The staff is always cheerful and accommodating, and our suite is well taken care of...