Veendam October 11 2014 Sailing Cancelled

billfromtulsa

Thanks Lisa. Last I checked there were insides available. That was a few days ago though. I don't think that would have worked for us ... unless I reserved two ... one for us, one for my scooter. :) On HAL we stay in Neptune Suites on larger ships or HDCP cabins on R&S class ships.

If Veendam can't sail by Oct 22 out of FLL - this propeller thing is going to have cost them a fortune!

I wonder if they have insurance for such lossets?

Edited by sail7seas

We are booked on the 28 day cruise out of Quebec on October 11. We received a phone call and a letter from HAL this afternoon stating that our cruise had been revised to a 21 day cruise beginning in Boston on October 18. The remaining itinerary will remain as scheduled.

If we choose to retain our reservation, we will get a refund for the first seven day portion and a 100% future cruise credit for the canceled portion of our cruise. They will also pay for any change fees required to get to Boston even though we made our own travel arrangements. We will also get a $300 per person on board credit for this sailing.

Those who choose to cancel the cruise will receive a full refund for the entire cruise and expenses as well as a future cruise credit equal to 100% of the fare paid for the seven day cruise departing on October 11.

We have changed our flight arrangements and now need to find Hotel accommodations in Boston. Sure hope it works this time...

Hello bill we were a transatlantic with you sorry to here your cruise is canceled. Just arriving in Montreal on the Masdam.The Veendam is docked in Quebec city saw her yesterday hard to understand why it's taking so long to fix the problem. Hopefully you are able too replace you're cruise with one you will be just as happy with!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

We are booked on the 28 day cruise out of Quebec on October 11. We received a phone call and a letter from HAL this afternoon stating that our cruise had been revised to a 21 day cruise beginning in Boston on October 18. The remaining itinerary will remain as scheduled.

If we choose to retain our reservation, we will get a refund for the first seven day portion and a 100% future cruise credit for the canceled portion of our cruise. They will also pay for any change fees required to get to Boston even though we made our own travel arrangements. We will also get a $300 per person on board credit for this sailing.

Those who choose to cancel the cruise will receive a full refund for the entire cruise and expenses as well as a future cruise credit equal to 100% of the fare paid for the seven day cruise departing on October 11.

We have changed our flight arrangements and now need to find Hotel accommodations in Boston. Sure hope it works this time...

Hope it all works out for you. Glad you were able to change your flights.

Have a great cruise.

Hope you travel safely to Boston and enjoy a least a brief stay here. We really have lots to see, do and some great food. :)

Have a wonderful cruise. You seem to have rolled with it well and worked a nice "Plan B". :)

Hello bill we were a transatlantic with you sorry to here your cruise is canceled. Just arriving in Montreal on the Masdam.The Veendam is docked in Quebec city saw her yesterday hard to understand why it's taking so long to fix the problem. Hopefully you are able too replace you're cruise with one you will be just as happy with!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Hello! Yes, I do remember you. We have already rebooked on the Oct 10 sailing of the Westerdam for a 15 day SAN-FLL cruise through the canal. We thought quickly and came up with a good plan B that met our time requirements. Flying on Thursday and sailing Friday!

Bill

I wonder what speed she can achieve with only one propeller ?

Philly is about 1800 nautical miles from Quebec, let's say she sails at about 15 knots, then it would take about 120 hours non stop to make it to the dry dock.

She left Quebec about 7 hours ago, that would make an arrival in the morning of the 9th...giving a 9 day dry dock window to fix it before she has to leave to get to FLL...

Hope it all goes well !

Hello! Yes, I do remember you. We have already rebooked on the Oct 10 sailing of the Westerdam for a 15 day SAN-FLL cruise through the canal. We thought quickly and came up with a good plan B that met our time requirements. Flying on Thursday and sailing Friday!

Bill

Great glad to hear you will still have a great cruise ! We are flying home in an hour after two great weeks on the Massdam.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I wonder what speed she can achieve with only one propeller ?

Philly is about 1800 nautical miles from Quebec, let's say she sails at about 15 knots, then it would take about 120 hours non stop to make it to the dry dock.

She left Quebec about 7 hours ago, that would make an arrival in the morning of the 9th...giving a 9 day dry dock window to fix it before she has to leave to get to FLL...

Hope it all goes well !

One local poster from Quebec noted that for the first few hundred miles there is a 10mph speed limit due to whales being in the area.

I read the 10 knots post but she is showing at 13.5 knots on marine traffic. Could be the current boosting her along so that accounts for the extra speed.

Could be.

Veendam is now in AIS range. The AIS destination is still "Les Escoumins" but the Veendam has already past that port. Several other cruise ships are in that area and all are somewhat over 10 Kt.

Roy

Edited by rafinmd
Found on AIS

It is not just a propeller. In the old days, there was a fixed pitch solid propeller on a shaft. Damaged props could be easily changed out with the vessel in the water in short order. Now, they are variable pitch and attached to pods both fixed and "azimuthing" (moveable). Extremely more complicated to repair. Just like your tv or oven. Way more complicated. In most cases, the ship will be in dry dock while the offending pod is removed and replaced with another. Guess what? All new cruise ships face the same issue.

Veendam does not have pods. She has shaft driven propellers which are, as you correctly stated, variable pitch. From the now-deleted Capt. Albert blog, it appears the issue is with the pitch control mechanism, which they tried to fix with divers but evidently couldn't hence the dry dock. Fingers crossed for those on the first non-cancelled sailing that all goes according to schedule!

Veendam does not have pods. She has shaft driven propellers which are, as you correctly stated, variable pitch. From the now-deleted Capt. Albert blog, it appears the issue is with the pitch control mechanism, which they tried to fix with divers but evidently couldn't hence the dry dock. Fingers crossed for those on the first non-cancelled sailing that all goes according to schedule!

Thanks for the info. New to HAL and thought they were having pod issues ( as in Cunard, et al.) Yes, the variable pitch throws another curveball. Sort of like we all used to be able to work on our cars---not anymore.:eek: I sure hope it gets fixed for all the cruisers down the line. Including us December 20th.:D

Yes, pods have been a technical challenge for many lines. That's what made this issue with the Veendam somewhat surprising, because so many propulsion related cancellations on other lines have been pod-related. But, they do make the ship's incredibly maneuverable. The first HAL ship with pods was the Amsterdam. Every one built since in the HAL fleet has azimuthing pods.