Having a beer with my Son

The legal drinking age here in Alberta is 18 and I think it is in other provinces as well. I can't see why you can't give a 20 year old a beer on your balcony. I'll never understand how it's alright to send an 18 year old off to war but you have to supervise your 19 year old "kid" on a cruise ship. :confused:

Here in Canada legal drinking age is 19. Legally am I able to give a 19 yr old a drink on the cruise? No.. they are under 21!

Are you able to give your son one of your beers in your own stateroom while sitting on the balcony watching the sea go by... ;) no one will know if you did or not but you! Enjoy your family cruise together!!

LEGAL Drinking AGE IN Canada

19 or 18

19 The Majority of Canada with 3 Exceptions Where it is 18

Alberta, Manitoba, Quebec 18

Legal drinking age in the US (including Wisconsin) is 21 for all alcoholic beverages, regardless of the fact that parents are present or if it's a fish fry versus a bar.

HOWEVER, buy your son a beer and enjoy. He's almost 21 and you're on vacation. I'm not bashing, I'd do the same. If you're taking the time to ask, you are probably not a person who would overdo it with your kid. Have fun!

Legal drinking age in the US (including Wisconsin) is 21 for all alcoholic beverages, regardless of the fact that parents are present or if it's a fish fry versus a bar.

From the department of revenue Wisconsin

http://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/ise/atundrg.html

Can an underage person possess and consume alcohol beverages on licenses premises?

Yes. Persons under age 21 may possess and consume alcohol beverages if they are with their parents, guardians or spouses of legal drinking age; but this is at the discretion of the licensee. The licensed premise may choose to prohibit consumption and possession of alcohol beverages by underage persons.

From the department of revenue Wisconsin

http://www.revenue.wi.gov/faqs/ise/atundrg.html

Can an underage person possess and consume alcohol beverages on licenses premises?

Yes. Persons under age 21 may possess and consume alcohol beverages if they are with their parents, guardians or spouses of legal drinking age; but this is at the discretion of the licensee. The licensed premise may choose to prohibit consumption and possession of alcohol beverages by underage persons.

Interesting. Criminal Law class is a big fat liar! Good to know.

:)

that was never the case. on all ships departing a US port the US drinking age is in effect at all times on board. ( shore is a different story, you are only subject to the local drinking age while in port)

Actually it was a number of years ago. RCI would allow 18 -20 year old passengers to consume beer and wine only on board as long as their parents were on board with them at the time and signed a waiver providing consent, even though the US drinking age was 21. And it was in effect once they were in international waters.

I know this as I did it with my son who was 18 at the time so that we could have a beer together one night. (and yes it just was one). That policy changed to the current one sometime by the mid 2000's whereby all passengers must be 21 to drink on board on US based itineraries.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

It depends what you're asking. If you're asking if it's against the rules then no, you can't buy your son a beer.

But common sense would tell you that it would be nearly impossible to know the guy drinking a beer is 20, nor would anyone really care unless you were going out of your way to point it out.

Nobody is getting put off the ship for giving a beer to their 20 year old son. In general I'm a rule follower myself but let's not be ridiculous.

This should be a simple answer. The answer is RCCL says you can't. It's not a law, but a rule. Many laws in international waters just do not exist but it still is followed.

The state of Florida, it would also be illegal for what you asked. All states have different laws.

On board ship, your ship card will tell the bartender if you can purchase or not.

So, it is up to you, whether you want to break a law, or rule, or policy. As long as you know the policy, and understand the risks, than it's your business.

I use to have beers with my dad and wine with my mom when I was younger so I understand it. :D

An no, you should listen to those posters because some of those posters have been cruising allot longer than you have and they are familiar with the rules and regulations the cruise lines set forth. They pointed out the rule, they didn't say it couldn't be done. You know nothing about there experience so please be quiet.

My son was 18 this summer. We cruised on the Oasis. We enjoyed a couple of beers on our balcony. Had some good discussions about him beginning college.

Regarding some of the 10,000 plus post posters, some of them are not worth consideration on many topics.

As for someone that should consider being quiet, some people should consider taking their own advice.

Simple answer is according to RC's policy, you have to be 21 and older.

As a parent, it's his decision as to whether he chooses to give his son a beer on his balcony. He is fully aware if he's breaking the rules and if he chooses to give his son a beer, it's on him. I think if he's reading this thread, he'll make his own decision.

We can agree or disagree. In some ways, it's similar to posts where some parents let their kids stay out past curfew. Either crew enforces it or they don't. Parents will argue as whether thats okay, but in the end, it's up to the parent to either support/enforce a rule or choose to do it their own way.

OP - as many have said you can do it quietly and privately and most likely not get caught. Many have said it's policy end of story. And then there are the few you like to brag that you can do what you want because THEY have never seen it be a problem.

I can give you a few first hand examples I have seen. We tend to hang at the Pool Bar a lot and become friendly with the bartenders. We've seen this situation in action many times.

Your son will have a seapass card that is flagged for being underage. We've seen plenty try to bring a parent's card or say they are buying it for them. The bartenders have asked for ID even with a seapass if someone looks young. They will not serve them and many have "fought" with the parent when they come up later complaining. We have seen them catch parents or other adults purchasing drinks for underage people. The results have been a warning, sometimes from the bartender or even from security. Those with drink packages have been told their package is going to be terminated with no refund. I have never seen it go beyond that and have people thrown off. I HAVE heard of some being thrown off for blatant underage drinking like smuggled alcohol (back in the old days). I did hear from a bartender of some under 21's being confined to cabin with security posted outside because they came onboard from a port blazingly and disturbingly drunk. (Probably Cozumel - :D)

It seems safest to save the beer together for ports. For what it's worth, having a beer in the privacy of your room certainly doesn't seem like the ethical end of the world so many profess here either. I can't imagine you would "get caught" but on the .000001% chance you did, there could be consequences. Unlikely but remotely possible. To use that speed limit analogy, I tend to have a lead foot. I got a speeding ticket years back. On an empty neighborhood street at 10 am on a Sunday. No one else around but me and the cop that got me. I had to accept the consequences for my actions. Can't complain about it - only myself to blame!

Enjoy your cruise. Somehow you guys will have that beer and I hope it will be fun and drama free!

OP:

If you and your boys are at a bar onboard, and if you order three beers on your card, who is going to know or even care? (If the younger one looks very young, then he might be asked for ID. I would assume at best, that the beer would not be forthcoming.)

Edited by spearmint

Here in Canada legal drinking age is 19. Legally am I able to give a 19 yr old a drink on the cruise? No.. they are under 21!

Are you able to give your son one of your beers in your own stateroom while sitting on the balcony watching the sea go by... ;) no one will know if you did or not but you! Enjoy your family cruise together!!

There is a downfall to this theory. An elderly friend who had been drinking fell down the back stairs from the Viking Crown on the Monarch. He was not found for nearly an hour. Medical made him pay for the treatment in the Medical Facility - because he had alcohol in his system found during a blood test administered while being treated. It is certainly the OP's decision to give alcohol to his son. There can be consequences - the worst being kicked off the ship.

I was 18 on my first cruise and was able to drink anything.

In 2006, we took my step son and 3 of his friends on a graduation cruise on RCI. They were all 18 or 19. We were able to sign waivers for them to drink wine and beer (no liquor). They were (thankfully) very laid back and were never crazy. We were happy to be able to see in a safe environment how they handled their alcohol. After all, they were all leaving for college and living on their own a few months later where we wouldn't be around to watch.

I'm not sure when they stopped allowing the waiver. I want to say 2-3 years ago. I agree with others though. Enjoy a few beers on the balcony, but be aware of the policy. It's in place for those that get stupid. I applaud you have raised your son to obviously respect alcohol. Many don't and quote "the law" and then their kids binge drink their way through life.

Don't know if this has been brought up. I sailed a Canada/NE cruise last year on a Royal C ship. We left from Quebec City...and anyone over the age of 19 could drink on the ship until the ship entered US waters. Once there, the drinking age reverted to 21 years.

It's good to know the rules and follow them. But I don't see where sharing a beer on one's balcony with a 20 yr old son would lead to a life sentence. Common sense is harder to come by these days. Be practical and careful.

:D

Question asked . . .

Can his 20YO DS have a beer on-board?

Question answered . . .

RCCI rules - that we each agree to in our customer contract - is you have to be 21 and older.

I am a fifth generation Wisconsinite and I understand where the OP is coming from. The laws surrounding underage drinking vary from state to state - Wisconsin's are among the loosest laws so it pays not to assume anything when you are outside of WI.

When my DD started at the "U" (University of Minnesota) the orientation for both parents and the kids went out of their way to point out that in MN, anyone under 21 cannot drink, even with their parents present.

(although I am not too sure about any state where making a kid eat lutefisk at Christmas is not criminal, but giving the same kid a sip of beer is! :D -- just a little Midwest humor!)

We do not judge others as long as they behave themselves and act civilly, and we hope they are able to enjoy themselves without having to encounter the wrath of the morals police.

After reading all of the comments by those making judgments on this thread, I was going to post a comment and then read the above. It certainly does an excellent job of summing up how I feel.

On a related note, my husband and daughter stopped by the bar at CP on Oasis. He ordered a run and coke for himself and a beer for me. He had my card and his. The bartender handed my husband the beer and put the rum and coke down where my daughter was standing. She gasped, horrified and said "I'm only 14!!!!!" He just shrugged. Now, while she's tall and well put together for a then just turned 14 year old (like 2 weeks prior)- she's not the kid to dress older and there's just no hiding those braces. :D Was thrilled with her response.

I am by and large a rules person and get frustrated with 'rule breakers'. Would I serve or ask for my child to be served in a public venue on board? NO. Would I myself purchase a beverage for my child to enjoy with me when they are over the age at home and we are in the privacy of our cabin or on our balcony? Perhaps. Perhaps even possibly. But I've got a while before I need to worry on that one.

We will be sailing on the Allure in Jan 2016, My wife and I in a balcony state room and my Son's in an interior cabin across the hall. At the time of my crusie, my Son's will be 24 and 20 years old. Here in Wisconsin, my youngest Son can leagally drink if either my Wife or I are with him (Having a beer at a Friday night fish fry). Can I buy my Son a beer on the ship? Thanks in advance for your response.

There are rules in place. But responsible folks know how to handle themselves. I'm familiar with the Wisconsin law and can only suggest that you do what you think you need to do. All should be fine. :cool: