Quality of food on Princess vs Carnival

Kstofflet

I sailed Carnival, Princess, and Celebrity within 6 months of each other (which is unusual for me).

Last sailed Carnival in 2006 and found the MDR food amazingly good compared to frequent Carnival sailings in the mid to late 1990s. In 2013, I would consider it mediocre to good (leaning towards mediocre)--kind of like dining at Applebee's or Denny's every night. I sailed with a friend that's a vegetarian so we ate every meal in the MDR--she thought her vegetarian selections very good.

Princess was good to very good. Similar to past Princess cruises--a step or two above the most recent Carnival experience. I think you will enjoy the food in the MDR.

For Celebrity we sailed Aqua Class so we ate in the BLU restaurant every night for dinner. Outstanding. We were sailing with friends who weren't AQ, they thought that the dining room food was about the same as their last Princess & HAL cruises.

We also enjoyed the Deli; ... We also enjoyed their mac and cheese and all made to order omelets. Breakfast twice in the DR and others at buffet. Carnival also had Mongolian "barbeque" .... Also. their burgers are far superior.

I will agree with all of this. I really like the deli sandwiches made to order on Carnival. The eggs are better, and so are the burgers. The MDR was doing the "American Table" thing on my last Carnival cruise, and I did not like it much. I still prefer Princess's dining room, but the Carnival buffet is more to my liking. Carnival's breakfast room service is better, too.

Got to admit, Carnival's Deli and Mongolian BBQ are real winners. I thought their pizza was just decent. I'll be interested to check out the Princess pizza some people rave about. I've never had a cruise ship pizza that was anywhere near as good as real pizzas in real pizza parlors in practically any town I've ever been in. The cruise ship ones are all dry with skimpy toppings.

What I can't forgive about Carnival is not an issue of quality, but of quantity. I detest the concept of the Bacon Police. You cannot get your own bacon at the breakfast buffet. It has to be parceled out by someone strip by strip. Geez, they're that distrustful of their own customers? It's insulting.

Jim

You can ask for more. We always do. They're preventing the schnorrers from taking the whole pile. Really,how much bacon does one need?

Unfortunately the good pay for the deeds of the few.

You can ask for more. We always do. They're preventing the schnorrers from taking the whole pile. Really,how much bacon does one need?

Unfortunately the good pay for the deeds of the few.

Just looked it up out of curiosity and your assumption is just that.

They did it to prevent passengers from over-sorting through the bacon to locate the crispiest pieces, in turn causing the rest of the bacon in the tray to crumble due to the constant handling.

I'm guilty of intentionally avoiding soggy and/or seemingly under-cooked bacon and have often noticed that the bacon supply in the HC is usually a mishmash pile of fractured coagulated slices. Hardly appetizing, (as a someone who prefers some protein for breakfast) most of the breakfast protein offerings in the HC are as well.

Just looked it up out of curiosity and your assumption is just that.

They did it to prevent passengers from over-sorting through the bacon to locate the crispiest pieces, in turn causing the rest of the bacon in the tray to crumble due to the constant handling.

I'm guilty of intentionally avoiding soggy and/or seemingly under-cooked bacon and have often noticed that the bacon supply in the HC is usually a mishmash pile of fractured coagulated slices. Hardly appetizing, (as a someone who prefers some protein for breakfast) most of the breakfast protein offerings in the HC are as well.

Every Princess cruise I've been on has had at least three different trays of bacon, crispy, what I'd call under cooked, and well cooked but not yet crispy. I really don't understand why Carnival don't do similar, some people are ultra fussy about how their bacon is cooked. [The bride is one of them]. Given the amount of bacon they go through it doesn't seem that hard.

We are Platinum on Carnival and we will be sailing our first cruise with Princess over Thanksgiving. My question is ... Can I expect the food quality to be better on Princess over Carnival? - Specifically in the Main dining room? The quality of Carnival has rapidly declined and I look forward to trying out a new line. thanks

Yup, sailed both lines and Princess is better quality and consistent than CLL.

Pia, we were on the 5 nite Freedom 9/1/14 and the MDR food was the best have had in many cruises. Portions very large and excellently done.

For me to even comment on food is extraordinary, so they had to have done something better. :D