Caribbean Cruise on Eclipse before dry dock query

DYKWIA

Hi,

We've recently just come back from our first cruise on the Eclipse. SWMBO enjoyed it so much I was given my orders - namely to find a 14 day cruise for next year, possibly the Caribbean. Because of leave commitments this year we would be unable to travel much before the last week in March.

I notice that the Eclipse has what seems a fairly comprehensive caribbean cruise of 14 nights leaving on the 29th March just before it goes into dry dock, I think.

Couple of queries -

(1) Is the weather around the caribbean generally okay at this time of year - i.e. can we expect sunshine and a low risk of particularly troublesome weather.

(2) As the ship is going into dry dock after the cruise is it likely that (i) staff will be finishing their contracts and possibly disinterested (ii) the cruise line won't be eager to over stock the ship and therefore things will be more likely to run out?

What is the best time of year to go to the Caribbean? If we need to travel later in the year that could work, I'd take SWMBO off to Villefrance (we loved it there this year) for a few days in the spring.

I think late March is the perfect time in the Caribbean.

We sailed on Eclipse in March 2013. We had one wet lunchtime in St Martin during the 14 day cruise, but it was sufficiently windy in Curaçao to prevent us going into the port, which I was very disappointed about, as I had never been there before.

Personally, if you are wondering about delaying your cruise until after the dry dock, I would do that, as significant changes will have been made( upgrading of Cellar Masters to Gastro Pub and the Suite dining area, if you are in a Suite)

Edited by upwarduk

I lived in Fla for ~20 years and have been on many cruises. IMO, the Eclipse is a beautiful ship and you should have no problem with the timing in relation to a refit. On occasion, you MAY see some preparation happening and I have heard about entire pools being unavailable but I feel that this would not be the norm. I doubt the attitudes of the staff will change. Some will be leaving but the vast majority will be staying on for the following cruise which is a repositioning to Southhampton. The weather should be ideal. You will be very unlucky to experience a hurricane as the season will be just about to start in the April.

Of course every company, ship, attitudes and experiences are unique. The last I heard crystal balls don't work and it would be impossible to predict or anticipate what will happen.

Ironically, I am booked on that repositioning!

Have a good time!

We sailed in spthe April 4 Equinox cruise this past April and on Reflextuon about the same time in 2013. This Equinox cruise was its last cruise before the TA and Drydock and everything was great. Weather in the Caribbean, ship condition, staff, we were very pleased.

We've sailed the 14 day Eclipse cruise and thought it was great. We chose Summit back to back this coming April as we liked the itinerary and it was quite a bit cheaper for the B2B out of San Juan for 14 days than the once cruise on Summit. I prefer the S class overall for additional dining choices and the stunning beauty but my partner prefers M-Class ships for layout and slightly smaller size. In the end we've chosen based on itinerary and value.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We loved the S class ship - and I'm not sure I'd here the end of it if I booked a ship that didn't come up to the same standard, that's why I've tended to focus on S class ships.

Many thanks for your help.

We loved the S class ship - and I'm not sure I'd here the end of it if I booked a ship that didn't come up to the same standard, that's why I've tended to focus on S class ships.

Many thanks for your help.

I wouldn't say the standards are different, but I guess it depends on what you mean by standards. There are things we like better on M-Class, like the Martini bar or the lounge on the way into the MDR. We like the outdoor pool better on S-class and while the S-class solarium is a bit nicer, the T-pool on M-class is nicer. The spa on s class wins hands down.

Just a few examples.

I still say when you're looking at itineraries, don't worry so much about the ship.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We are on this sailing too. We have done the 14-day itinerary a few times over the years on both the Eclipse and Constellation. Love it. We've gone on several Caribbean cruises in February/March and I don't recall ever having really bad weather. Maybe a quick rain shower in the afternoon, hardly worth mentioning.

Hoping the dry dock prep doesn't change things too much towards the end of the cruise. I definitely wouldn't worry at all about the crew's attitude. I think that's a non issue.

Canadian here...

Have spent my whole life as a snow bird winging off to Florida & the Caribbean... Lol, it is what we Canadians do to avoid at least some of our drastic winter weather

Anytime December thru April, and you are good to go as far as weather is concerned.

Alhough if the north gets a freaky Polar Vortex... With sub zero temps then the jet stream can drag cold air far down into the USA... Which causes things like snow in Georgia, frost in Florida, and unseasonably cool temps in most northern parts of the Caribbean... Bahamas - Cuba - Mexico. Such occurrences although rare are most likely late December thru to mid January... Which corresponds with the time generally when Canada sees the coldest days of winter.

Lol... And consequently that is the timeframe when you are most likely to see me on a cruise ship floating around other parts of the Caribbean basking in the warm sunshine

We did the Eastern Caribbean on The Solstice (S-Class Ship) in January 2012, and the Southern Caribbean on The Summit (M-Class Ship) in January 2013... We are doing the Western Carribean this year in December on another M-Class Ship - The Constellation

February, March & April are awesome weather... Getting progressively warmer as the months click along in Florida & the Caribbean

As someone else mentioned... School Breaks can be an issue (but this is true anytime from late January onwards... As School Breaks can differ from one State / Province to another... As well as the academic level). March tho is usually the most popular timing.

That said, if you are preferring the bigger S-Class Ships with their very spacious layouts a few kids you will probably not even notice (more likely to be an issue... During March though if the kids number in the 100s)

With your interests & concerns... I think I would look at either The Eclipse's or The Equinox's longer Caribbean Itineraries (10 to 14 Days) for 2015

http://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-search/search-results?isWidget=false&dest=CARIB&sailStartDate=ANY&sailEndDate=ANY&ship=ANY&port=ANY#isWidget=false&selectedInput=&dest=CARIB&sailStartDate=2014-12&sailEndDate=2015-04&ship=ANY&port=ANY&duration=3&cruisesOnly=Y&promoid=&promoType=&promotionTypeId=&priceProgram=&sortBy=7&startRow=0&count=10&cruiseType=CO&cruiseInt=&isCrieriaExcluded=false&portOfCall=&tourCode=&state=&captain_id=&couponCodes=&isSenior=&isMilitary=&isFireandPolice=

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Hi,

We've recently just come back from our first cruise on the Eclipse. SWMBO enjoyed it so much I was given my orders - namely to find a 14 day cruise for next year, possibly the Caribbean. Because of leave commitments this year we would be unable to travel much before the last week in March.

I notice that the Eclipse has what seems a fairly comprehensive caribbean cruise of 14 nights leaving on the 29th March just before it goes into dry dock, I think.

Couple of queries -

(1) Is the weather around the caribbean generally okay at this time of year - i.e. can we expect sunshine and a low risk of particularly troublesome weather.

(2) As the ship is going into dry dock after the cruise is it likely that (i) staff will be finishing their contracts and possibly disinterested (ii) the cruise line won't be eager to over stock the ship and therefore things will be more likely to run out?

What is the best time of year to go to the Caribbean? If we need to travel later in the year that could work, I'd take SWMBO off to Villefrance (we loved it there this year) for a few days in the spring.

We live in Florida, the weather will be beautiful in March.

No worries about overstocking the ship as the "drydock" crew has to be fed too..not sure about the crew, although no doubt some of them will stay on to take care of the workers too.

December-January-February probably best months for Caribbean, March excellent too but you run the risk of encountering lots of Spring Breakers...

We have done several 14-day Caribbean cruises this time of year on Celebrity, Princess and Azamara. You won't get many spring breakers or young kids at all because the cruise is 14 days long. Too long.

What you will get is a great mix of passengers, in different age ranges, with lots of British and Germans as well as Canadians and Americans.

Just because the ship is going into dry dock doesn't mean that all of the workers contracts will be ending. Sometimes they are also needed for various duties during the dry dock.

What I would be concerned with is sometimes the last cruise is cut short or canceled if they can get the ship into the repair yard earlier.

There have been some reports of this happening and passemgers were left with a flight but no where to go. They will get a refund along with some SBC to use on another cruise but nothing for the flight arrangements.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅