Best Excursion at Falmouth

Hi All,

We are booked to sail on the Allure Western Caribbean at Easter.:D We have done this route before many years ago but not with our daughter who will be 10. Just looking for some advice really as to what others think is the best excursion that RCCL offer from this stop. My husband doesn't want to climb Dunn's River Falls again and for some fun for my daughter I was thinking about the tubing along the river??

Also, if you are a C&A member and you have requested yes to an upgrade on your account preferences, should this happen, do RCCL ask you first and advise you of the cabin before they upgrade you or do it automatically?

Thanks for your comments in advance :)

Hi All,

We are booked to sail on the Allure Western Caribbean at Easter.:D We have done this route before many years ago but not with our daughter who will be 10. Just looking for some advice really as to what others think is the best excursion that RCCL offer from this stop. My husband doesn't want to climb Dunn's River Falls again and for some fun for my daughter I was thinking about the tubing along the river??

Also, if you are a C&A member and you have requested yes to an upgrade on your account preferences, should this happen, do RCCL ask you first and advise you of the cabin before they upgrade you or do it automatically?

Regarding the upgrade - they are rare, and RCCL may or may not call you. We were lucky to receive an upgrade a few times and have never been called, just got an email generally the day prior to sail date that "your cruise docs are ready". Since I already had my docs weeks earlier - that means you have an upgrade with new docs. Someone on our roll call for a cruise in a few weeks, reported that they got a call. Honestly, upgrades are so rare these days that I would not give it a second thought.

Can't help much for the excursion, except to suggest you look at the CC Ports of Call boards for ideas.

Good luck and enjoy

M

However I know many want to do a beach or water stuff, we have done that as well. However at Falmouth, we did a simple walking tour of the city. It acquainted us with the locals and now we just go outside the compound, walk around and spend some money with the LOCALs and have really had some great conversations with them. Out side the compound, they really appreciate you spending a couple of dollars with them, even drinking a beer bought in a supermarket, they might come up and ask for the bottle. Yes you will get hassled a little, but that is the norm for the lesser developed islands.

We did a catamaran snorkeling tour booked thr. RC and really enjoyed. We are probably going again on our upcoming Oasis cruise in Jan. Did the Falls once too but it was so crowded. We also did the tubing with a group we were cruising with and it was fun too but the drive to the top of the Mountain was scary due to poor road conditions and long.

Hi All,

We did the tubing last year and was not impressed.

I did Rose Hall great house last time in Falmouth. I really thought it was interesting.

If you feel comfortable with private tours, there are a few companies that visit Blue Hole and Secret Falls. Looks very beautiful.

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

However I know many want to do a beach or water stuff, we have done that as well. However at Falmouth, we did a simple walking tour of the city. It acquainted us with the locals and now we just go outside the compound, walk around and spend some money with the LOCALs and have really had some great conversations with them. Out side the compound, they really appreciate you spending a couple of dollars with them, even drinking a beer bought in a supermarket, they might come up and ask for the bottle. Yes you will get hassled a little, but that is the norm for the lesser developed islands.

I thought that I had read on these boards one time that it was not advised to leave the pier compound on one's own; that a tour was advised or else to stay in the compound as the area was dangerous. Had you ever heard this? Seems like you had no problem.

I don't know about Canadian websites, but on the US State Department travel website you will see that much of Jamaica is considered a high crime area, with a less than honest police department. So venturing out on your own is a risk you need to decide if you want to take. Many have done so with no problems. But in reading the website, I personally would not be one of them anymore. In past years, we have had people swim up to us in the ocean (yes, that is not a typo) and try to sell us drugs. We were also walking back to the ship (this was years ago) approximately one block out, and people were trying to sell drugs to our then 17 year old son while he was walking with us. Bad stuff can happen anywhere, but statistically bad stuff is more likely to happen in Jamaica than most of the other visited Caribbean islands.

Hi All,

We enjoyed the Chukka (at Falmouth) ATV Safari which is not far from the port. Also, Chukka has other activities near Falmouth. You can get reviews on TripAdvisor. Have a great time! SB

We enjoyed the Chukka (at Falmouth) ATV Safari which is not far from the port. Also, Chukka has other activities near Falmouth. You can get reviews on TripAdvisor. Have a great time! SB

would you recommend doing a ship excursion to Chukka or do you think it can be done independently?

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

I don't know how "sophisticated" your 10 year old is. When mine were that age they would have enjoyed the Jamaica Culinary Tour. It's a walking tour of Falmouth and you stop several places and try local foods. You don't have to take any buses or taxis so you're right there in Falmouth (as far as any concerns about not making it back to the ship in time if you do a private tour.)

http://jamaicaculinarytours.com

It also gets great reviews on Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g612473-d4935293-Reviews-Jamaica_Culinary_Tours-Falmouth_Trelawny_Parish_Jamaica.htm

Edited by bighairtexan

I thought that I had read on these boards one time that it was not advised to leave the pier compound on one's own; that a tour was advised or else to stay in the compound as the area was dangerous. Had you ever heard this? Seems like you had no problem.

We have heard this and use this port as a ship day. Not a fan of Jamaica. In Montego bay, when we went to the beach we were harrassed by people trying to sell drugs. Most of the attractions are far from the ship. When you disembark, their is a nice restricted area you can visit to shop and browse- but then back on the ship for us.

DO NOT do Aquasol in Montego Bay!! Worst time! Was a last minute cruise for us so I did not properly research the excursions like I needed to.

If I ever do another cruise with a port in Falmouth, we'll either do Dunn's River Falls or a day pass to Hilton Rose Hall which includes use of their resort & Sugar Mill Falls Water Park with tube slide and lazy river, unlimited lunches, snacks, drinks, and wifi.

I don't know how "sophisticated" your 10 year old is. When mine were that age they would have enjoyed the Jamaica Culinary Tour. It's a walking tour of Falmouth and you stop several places and try local foods. You don't have to take any buses or taxis so you're right there in Falmouth (as far as any concerns about not making it back to the ship in time if you do a private tour.)

http://jamaicaculinarytours.com

It also gets great reviews on Trip Advisor.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g612473-d4935293-Reviews-Jamaica_Culinary_Tours-Falmouth_Trelawny_Parish_Jamaica.htm

Mmmmmmmmm.....this sounds good :p

In March we did the Bobsled and Zip lining excursion through Royal Caribbean. My two daughters aged 10 and 13 LOVED it! It was a bit pricey but we thought it was totally worth it. You ride up Mystic Mountain in a ski lift chair, the view is beautiful. We felt safe the entire time. The guides that take you through the zip lining course are a lot fun.

Are you strictly wanting to book directly through the cruise line?

Debbie

I'm glad the OP asked this question. This will be my first time to Fallmouth having only been to Ocho Rios. If the OP isn't interested in private excursions, but you have one to relate about, I'll listen :D

We have been twice, the first time we were at one of the resorts and second time we were on the Allure. We did Dolphin Cove I believe and booked through the resort. It is a bit of a hike, about the same distance as the falls. The second time we did the falls and green grotto caves. They were both really cool.

I would highly reccommend the Dolphin Cove. You can chooe to do a swim with the dolphins, or not. They also have a bunch of other things, like snorkeling with Sting Rays, taking a mini boat tour, and a bunch of exotic birds and other critters there all for free. We did the ultimate swim which was a once in a lifetime experience so that might have swayed me to review this a bit higher, but I would reccommend. I think that they also book through Royal if you wanted to go that route.