What to do on Mondays in Cologne

likestoread

We are traveling on the Viking Var from Amsterdam to Basel in November. The ship is docked in Cologne for the full day on that Monday which is the day most museums are closed. Can anyone give me alternative suggestions for what to do with the free time in the afternoon (other than drink beer)? Has anyone taken a train to Dusseldorf or Bonn?

Thanks.

You will still get your tour and perhaps an optional tour. Use the opportunity to enjoy a nice lunch in the city. If you are going when the Christmas markets are open, use your free time to tour the 7 of them. Enjoy your trip. Pat

There is a great cafe across from the cathedral....white umbrellas....make sure to use the restroom!!!!

Wandering the shopping area was fun....

We also did the hop on/off bus ....sat on top....touring other parts of the city with narration...it was OK not great but did give us a look! Took about 1.5 hours with not getting off...I think it was 15E (cash if you pay on bus)....and we picked it up just outside the chocolate museum you can also get on by the Cathedral and buy tickets in the Tourist info center.

You should still be able to enjoy the city, the waterfront park, and shopping.

The Roman museum is to the right and behind the cathedral, and not only is the lower floor exhibit visible through large glass windows (including a wonderful mosaic floor) there are substantial pieces on display outside.

off subject briefly, but wouldn't you love to have a "sticky" that everyone could contribute to that lists the public bathrooms in various ports?

DeeDC and her perfect description of the "white umbrellas" across from the cathedral is right.

Also we've had great luck with buying a drink (or lunch or dinner) at a cafe and then using the facilities for patrons. But sometimes, you don't need a drink....you need to get rid of one!

back on subject: if you want to explore by foot or by bus the following may help get you started. I use these 2 online sources constantly.

http://www.fodors.com/world/europe/germany/the-rhineland/cologne/practicalities_h2703511_tours.html

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/cologne/691549#sthash.zjQ4asAf.dpbs

We are traveling on the Viking Var from Amsterdam to Basel in November. The ship is docked in Cologne for the full day on that Monday which is the day most museums are closed. Can anyone give me alternative suggestions for what to do with the free time in the afternoon (other than drink beer)? Has anyone taken a train to Dusseldorf or Bonn?

Thanks.

Just returned from an Amsterdam to Budapest tour on Viking. My suggestions for Cologne on Mondays:

1. As others suggested, the DOM cathedral

2. St. Ursula's church (not far from #1. Closes ~ 5 pm)

3. Take the cable car ride across the Rhine

4. You are in Germany. Plenty of places to drink beer. I like Fruh Kolsch, near the DOM.

5. Explore on your own via walking or a hop on/off buss. Lots to see on both sides of the river.

George

All my favs were mentioned by pp and I won't repeat. Suffice to say there is plenty to do and see in Cologne outside of the museum. I will add that last time I was there, a vendor was selling "berliners" just past the steps to the Cathedral. It was the most wonderful donut I ever had and I wish I had bought a bag full of them! :D Avoid using the bathroom at MacDonald's unless you're buying a burger....our tm sent me and another woman there while before touring the Cathedral, they were very very rude!!!

All my favs were mentioned by pp and I won't repeat. Suffice to say there is plenty to do and see in Cologne outside of the museum. I will add that last time I was there, a vendor was selling "berliners" just past the steps to the Cathedral. It was the most wonderful donut I ever had and I wish I had bought a bag full of them! :D Avoid using the bathroom at MacDonald's unless you're buying a burger....our tm sent me and another woman there while before touring the Cathedral, they were very very rude!!!

In situations like this, rudeness is usually cured with funfzig euro cent.;)

Oh, another thing: the Remagen peace museum can be reached by train from Cologne, a regional train to Koblenz (check which side of the river it will go along) takes you through Bonn, Remagen and Andernach, terminating in Koblenz.

This was written about in another thread, someone of the past cruisers here did that trip.

notamermaid

Hello likestoread,

have you had a look at the following thread yet?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2032226

Although it deals with Sunday options there are IMO some good suggestions for spending the Monday.

In situations like this, rudeness is usually cured with funfzig euro cent.;)

Thank you for pointing this out. With so many people, i.e. tourists, visiting Cologne everyday some places will naturally be swamped with people all needing a toilet. Understandably a lot of water will be used, that is metered and costs the restaurants money.

Even if there is a sign saying "Nur für Gäste", meaning you have to eat or drink something in the establishment, a smile and polite question showing the 50 cents coin hopefully will change the mind of the waiter or owner of the respective place.

When I am in Cologne I tend to go to Kaufhof Galeria at the (sort of) corner of Hohe Strasse with Schildergasse. Apart from toilets :D - again, costing 50 cents - the department store has got a nice grocery section with Cologne souvenirs and great looking chocolate gifts.

Bonn is a lovely town, nice for shopping, some interesting buildings and is easy to get to by train. However, the great museums are out of town, so if you have only 3 to 4 hours I tend to think it would be more worthwhile to stay in Cologne.

Düsseldorf is also interesting with different types of beer from Cologne. It has fewer antiquities than Cologne and is a younger town, with a bit more sophistication (I mean that in a neutral sense) than Cologne. So, a different atmosphere.

If you think you might come to Cologne again some time in the near future, than you could have a great time exploring another town for a few hours, of course.

This was written about in another thread, someone of the past cruisers here did that trip.

Have fun exploring and a great trip.

notamermaid

P.S.: My two posts have got mixed up, reading them in reverse order makes more sense. Sorry!

Edited by notamermaid
Explanatory note

Oh, another thing: the Remagen peace museum can be reached by train from Cologne, a regional train to Koblenz (check which side of the river it will go along) takes you through Bonn, Remagen and Andernach, terminating in Koblenz.

notamermaid

Here's the link http://www.bruecke-remagen.de/index_en.htm - we went there this spring from Bonn, which was much closer than Koln and also had less to see and do.

Hello,

I have not been to KölnTriangle yet, seeing that I mostly go shopping in Cologne. :):) The view must be spectacular. The large tower is on the other side of the Rhine in Köln-Deutz. When you zoom in on google maps (set it to earth not road map) you can see that it is right across from the cathedral and the main station. You can walk across the Hohenzollernbrücke or take an S-Bahn or slow train that stops in Köln-Messe/Deutz, it is the trade fair area. Get off the train there and then just walk a short distance. There are some nice photos in the google gallery, too. I think I would do it this way: walk across the bridge to see the love locks and then return on the S-Bahn as I like approaching the town and its magnificent cathedral through the steel construction.

notamermaid