Unexplained rash on legs during cruises

On our last 10 cruises ( we have been on 34) I have developed a rash on both legs from my ankle almost to my knee. It only starts after we have been to a port. The first time it was in Nassau so I assumed it was from walking on the sand and getting hot, etc. but the last few cruises have been in Europe, no where near the tropics.

On our last TA cruise to the Baltics another lady happened to mention she had the same rash for the first time and she was very worried. I told her about my experiences.

As soon as we get off the ship to fly home it begins to disappear, turning brownish then by the time we are home it is practically gone. I talked to my friend with the rash and she said by the time she arrived home from Copenhagen her rash was gone too.

I have taken pictures of my legs with the rash and shown them to my dermatologist and she is stumped. Has no idea what it is.

It is red, blotchy, not raised and not itchy. It is usually in the back of the calf and spreads upward. It feels a little warm to the touch and I kind of sense something is there but no real discomfort other than it looks really bad.

I don't think it is the ship or cruise line because we have been on several different lines. It only starts after I go ashore then gets worse each time I go ashore. If several sea days together it starts to go away. Then when in port and I go ashore there it is again.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

Yup happened once to me. Ships doctor explained it as small burst blood vessels from combination of rich foods, alcohol, standing. Goes away when lying down with feet elevated so that is why sea days can make it disappear as you are most likely lounging around the pool and not on your feet.

My sister had a rash. Her dermatologist said it was dermatitis from rubbing up on a poisonous plant. He told her it was a "leaf mark". It's gone away gradually but is still faintly there after the bleaching cream he prescribed. She got it in Nassau! She went to the beach about a mile down on the right if you are looking at shore from the cruise ship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

Edited by jimmyvinny

Yup happened once to me. Ships doctor explained it as small burst blood vessels from combination of rich foods, alcohol, standing. Goes away when lying down with feet elevated so that is why sea days can make it disappear as you are most likely lounging around the pool and not on your feet.

This sounds exactly like what happened during my last cruise (Alaska). It first appeared on my ankles where my socks were, after a day ashore with quite a bit of walking. It looked like little pin-pricks of blood, so the burst blood vessels explains it precisely. And I was drinking more than usual, about 1-2 drinks most days, and of course eating all the yummy foods offered. I never went to the doctor as it never hurt or had any sensation at all...it was just unsightly. It took quite a few days at home with my feet up to start going away, but looks fairly decent now. I'm glad to know what it was...thank you!

There is a rash called 'Golfers Vasculitis', caused by doing a lot of walking in hot weather. I get it sometimes if I've been walking around a city.

"Go to any multi-day walking event in the summer and you will see a red heat rash on the calves of many walkers. The heat rash often starts above the sock line and makes red patches and splotches up the calf. It usually doesn't itch and is believed to be heat-related, since these same walkers don't get it in cooler weather"

Thanks to all of you for your quick reply. I am relieved to hear I am not the only one it has happened to. I agree with "cruiseryyc", "julie3fan" and "elleks" diagnosis. It seems to have hit it right on the head. Although I have cut waayyy back on the alcohol :rolleyes:

My doctor did mention it looked like broken blood vessels too. Thanks again.

Now our next cruise is a TA from Houston to Barcelona. I can't wait to see if it happens yet again. If it does I will remain calm ... lol :D

Happy sailing to you all and stay safe! :p

Any other comments.... feel free. I will keep checking back.

We have cruised everywhere and neither of us have ever had anything like that happen to our legs.

Have a great TA.

Same for me. I've never had such a thing, luckily. At least not yet. :eek:

Same happened to me after a day spent in Nassau. We went to the beach for a bit then walked around on a self-guided tour then on to the fish fry, along the beach back to the ship. I went to the serenity deck to read and noticed I had hand print sized rashes on my thighs and calves. I blamed the sun and conch salad and fritters. I did have 2 beers in Nassau, too.

klct39--Does yours still show up a little? I'll be in Nassau in a couple weeks so might check out the beach my sister was visiting to try to narrow down what she had a reaction to.

Edited by jimmyvinny

klct39--Does yours still show up a little? I'll be in Nassau in a couple weeks so might check out the beach my sister was visiting to try to narrow down what she had a reaction to.

After I am home a day it is completely gone with no signs remaining.....until next time!!!

Mine started fading the next day. I stayed out of the sun. Next day was Freeport and we stayed on the ship. I did not have a sunburn and was not overheated. I really thought I had a reaction to conch. It wasn't itchy, just looked like I had been slapped.

DH had the rash on his shins on our NE/Canada cruise. No heat there. He had a similar rash a couple of years ago. We bought some anti itch cream which helped with that. Rash disappeared when we got home.

Dermatologist said of the rash the 1st time he had it that it was contact dermatitis. I think there may be an allergy to something, maybe the detergent used by the cruise line. I changed our at home detergent and he didn't get it again at home.

I've also had this type of rash and it seems to be on the parts of my legs that I shave. Not sure if it is related. I thought it might be due to something in the water on the ship and shaving irritation. Mine isn't itchy or bothersome and goes away right after a cruise.

I've also had this type of rash and it seems to be on the parts of my legs that I shave. Not sure if it is related. I thought it might be due to something in the water on the ship and shaving irritation. Mine isn't itchy or bothersome and goes away right after a cruise.

Do you stop shaving after you get home?:-;

DH had the rash on his shins on our NE/Canada cruise. No heat there. He had a similar rash a couple of years ago. We bought some anti itch cream which helped with that. Rash disappeared when we got home.

Dermatologist said of the rash the 1st time he had it that it was contact dermatitis. I think there may be an allergy to something, maybe the detergent used by the cruise line. I changed our at home detergent and he didn't get it again at home.

When my daughter was younger, she got a rash on her leg. The doctor asked what she had recently to eat, and then he suggested it could be an allergy to fruit. I decided to try allergen-free detergent and the rash went away. On one cruise, we were doing laundry, but my hubby put the items in the washer before I got there (I was on the way with my ziplock bag of the allergen-free detergent) and another passenger said she had plenty of detergent and offered some to him to use. So without thinking, he decided to take her up on her offer. Yep, the girl got a rash from her washed clothes. When I got home, all of her clothes from the trip (including any still-cleaned clothes) went into the washer.

We also got some bites on one cruise, but this was before we got to any port. We figured sand fleas from the previous inhabitants of our cabin and asked our steward to change out all of our bedding/linen.

Hi everyone, I also have had this rash when on a cruise and when I am in holidays doing lots of walking.

Check out the web for "golfers Vasculitis" I am pretty sure that is what you may have.

All the best.

This also happens to me and DH when it is hot and we've done many miles of walking around at the ports. Had to see the Doctor on our Ocean Princess cruise last May for something else and "golfers vasculitis" is exactly what he said when he saw my red blotchy ankles and calves. He printed out an informational page on this to show to my Dermatologist. She had never heard of this.

On our last 10 cruises ( we have been on 34) I have developed a rash on both legs from my ankle almost to my knee. It only starts after we have been to a port. The first time it was in Nassau so I assumed it was from walking on the sand and getting hot, etc. but the last few cruises have been in Europe, no where near the tropics.

On our last TA cruise to the Baltics another lady happened to mention she had the same rash for the first time and she was very worried. I told her about my experiences.

As soon as we get off the ship to fly home it begins to disappear, turning brownish then by the time we are home it is practically gone. I talked to my friend with the rash and she said by the time she arrived home from Copenhagen her rash was gone too.

I have taken pictures of my legs with the rash and shown them to my dermatologist and she is stumped. Has no idea what it is.

It is red, blotchy, not raised and not itchy. It is usually in the back of the calf and spreads upward. It feels a little warm to the touch and I kind of sense something is there but no real discomfort other than it looks really bad.

I don't think it is the ship or cruise line because we have been on several different lines. It only starts after I go ashore then gets worse each time I go ashore. If several sea days together it starts to go away. Then when in port and I go ashore there it is again.

Has anyone else ever had this happen to them?

Just read this a few days ago on CC by Chigirlcruzin:

Search under: Swollen legs/ankles/feet - This Worked.