Cash, Or Debit Card

I would use cash if you have some. If you have a credit card that does not charge a foreign transaction fee I would use that in the ports. I would not use a debit card due to them being linked directly to your checking account. If someone would get your information you would not know until you got home and your account could be cleaned out.

Have a great cruise.

I was wondering when you get off the ship to do excursions and just shop, eat and purchase drinks do you carry cash only? Or both cash and debit cards? Any answers and advice would be great . Thank You

we never use a debit card at stores. Usually cash or credit card. Only thing we use a debit card for is at an ATM to get local currency if necessary, such as in Europe.

Edited by clarea

I use cash only...will at times use a credit card for larger purchases depending on what kind of store I'm in...I feel much safer using cash and always try to have small bills...makes it easier to bargain JMHO :)

Edited by Ashland

Cash only at port. Unless its at one of them jewerly stores. Where I dont have that amount of money out to buy DW something or what not. Never had a problem *knock on wood*

I know all them stetcky stores I would never use a Credit card

I take X amount of cash to spend in each port, and a credit card if something has gone wrong with my travel plans, and I need to get back to the ship ASAP.

This is what we do. I won't use any type of card in ports. Had my cc accessed without my permission in Mexico. Won't make the same mistake twice.

I avoid using debit altogether. I use cash for incidentals (drinks, food, trinkets) and credit card for larger purchases. If they steal my credit card info who cares? The credit card company has me covered for fraudulent purchases.