"Nominal Charge" for Cancellation Before Final Cruise Date?

JennAngel9

Hi All,

Hoping you can help: just went to make a deposit on our Fall 2015 cruise and saw the following:

"Cancellation Charges and Timetables

Cancellation carries a nominal charge if made before the first date below. This timetable shows applicable cancellation charges along with corresponding dates."

The first date below is about 90 days before the cruise with the standard penalties, starting with the cost of the deposit $250, so presumably the "nominal amount" is considerably less than that. I'd never heard of any penalty prior to loss of deposit. Does anyone know what the nominal amount is? Has it ever actually been assessed?

Hi All,

Hoping you can help: just went to make a deposit on our Fall 2015 cruise and saw the following:

Cancellation carries a nominal charge if made before the first date below. This timetable shows applicable cancellation charges along with corresponding dates."

The first date below is about 90 days before the cruise with the standard penalties, starting with the cost of the deposit $250, so presumably the "nominal amount" is considerably less than that. I'd never heard of any penalty prior to loss of deposit. Does anyone know what the nominal amount is? Has it ever actually been assessed?

Is this directly with Celebrity?

One of my travel agents charges me $50/person unless I transfer the booking to a new cruise, and even then, there is no garuntee they won't charge us.

What your suggesting would be new. We made our last booking in August, and this was the policy:

74 to 57 Days Prior to Sailing - Deposit Amount

56 to 29 Days Prior to Sailing - 50% of Total Price

28 to 15 Days Prior to Sailing - 75% of Total Price

14 to 0 Days Prior to Sailing - 100% of Total Price

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Hi All,

I'll take a stab at this. The cancellation policy on my Reflection cruise is as follows:

74 to 57 Days Prior to Sailing $250 Deposit Amount

56 to 29 Days Prior to Sailing 50% of total price

28 to 15 Days Prior to Sailing 75% of total price

14 to 0 Days Prior to Sailing 100% of total price

So if you were to cancel 76 days out (day before final payment) then you would be refunded 100% of your deposit. This is for a 7 night non-holiday cruise. Some longer cruises or holiday cruises can have the final payment period a bit longer. I suppose that may account for the 90 days you cited. Another, and more likely answer is that the 90 days and "nominal fee" are a fee that your Travel Agent puts on the reservation. Celebrity does not put any fees other than the ones I quoted above on a standard 7 night cruise. Additionally, the Travel Agent that I use does not add any fees other than the fees that Celebrity (or any other cruise line) imposes. So, when I book, I am only subject to the fees posted above. No "nominal fees."

I have cancelled cruises prior to final payment. Often I just switch the reservation to a later cruise, in fact did just that when I booked my Reflection cruise. I had a Royal Caribbean cruise booked and some friends wanted to go on Reflection, so I switched my Royal Caribbean cruise to a 2016 cruise to preserve some OBC. Last year I cancelled a Celebrity cruise to join friends on a Royal Caribbean cruise. Since it was prior to final payment, I received 100% refund of my deposit.

Hope this answers your question. If your "nominal fee" is a TA charge, I suggest you find a TA that doesn't add any change or cancellation fees other than those imposed by the cruise line.

It is not a TA. That verbiage is definitely from Celebrity.

Google the following:

Cancellation carries a nominal charge if made before the first date below. This timetable shows applicable cancellation charges along with corresponding dates.

and you will find a development site with lots of Celebrity test pages and dummy bookings (I hope they are dummy bookings--there is a lot of personal info there).

Are they rolling out something new? Is this just another of a series of IT glitches? Does it maybe mean nothing (but not sure why it would be there)

Edited by ECCruise

Azamara charges $25 pp to cancel a booking. Maybe X was thinking of adopting the same policy. But since Az only has 2 ships which are both very small, cancellations are more of a problem for them than with X's huge inventory.

Sorry for my sloppy counting. It is 76 days-- pregnancy brain has really done a number on me in the past few weeks!

As a previous poster pointed out, this was booking directly through Celebrity (I will be transferring to a TA)-- about 4 hours ago, so I don't know if they are trying out something new or toying with the idea or maybe it only applies to suites?

As an attorney, I wouldn't think they could get away with more than $10-20 as a "nominal charge"-- but I hope to never have to find out. :p I actually don't think it's completely unreasonable to charge some very small fee for their costs in helping you book and arrange everything only to cancel, but as DH has an unpredictable work schedule, we'd probably gravitate towards lines w/o penalties if they were more than $20. Though as I say this we just plunked down about 2k over what an equivalent cruise on HAL would have cost us because I really really miss the M-class thalasso pools. :)

Sorry for my sloppy counting. It is 76 days-- pregnancy brain has really done a number on me in the past few weeks!

As a previous poster pointed out, this was booking directly through Celebrity (I will be transferring to a TA)-- about 4 hours ago, so I don't know if they are trying out something new or toying with the idea or maybe it only applies to suites?

As an attorney, I wouldn't think they could get away with more than $10-20 as a "nominal charge"-- but I hope to never have to find out. :p I actually don't think it's completely unreasonable to charge some very small fee for their costs in helping you book and arrange everything only to cancel, but as DH has an unpredictable work schedule, we'd probably gravitate towards lines w/o penalties if they were more than $20. Though as I say this we just plunked down about 2k over what an equivalent cruise on HAL would have cost us because I really really miss the M-class thalasso pools. :)

Two things I would add.

1. I have heard, but never experienced there are limitations on transfer after final payment date (75 days), so transfer quickly, or at least apply, asap.

2. Celebrity has insurance that lets you cancel for any reason last minute, and get 75% back. LawChick (I think that was her screen name) posted about it, and did this out of similar necessity. I have also seen the pricing on the Celebrity site, but finding it again could be tought. It was under before you cruise I think.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thank you Jenna. :)

We have already started the transfer process but CS cabins were disappearing quickly (only deck 9 left) so the TA advised us to make initial payment w/ Celebrity where I was holding a lower deck.

Celebrity does advertise (and automatically add) their insurance that lets you cancel for any reason, but it's my understanding that the 75% actually can only be used in Celebrity Future Cruise credits. For less than what they want us to pay for their insurance, we are generally able to get comprehensive travel insurance that includes cancel for work reasons and/or cancel for any reason...typically with 80-100% back cash (including flights and hotels and other out of pocket costs)-- though I've never actually had to pull the trigger on cancelling a cruise after final deposit. :) On the other hand, I do really appreciate that Celebrity lets you opt in our out of their insurance right up until final payment date.

Thank you Jenna. :)

We have already started the transfer process but CS cabins were disappearing quickly (only deck 9 left) so the TA advised us to make initial payment w/ Celebrity where I was holding a lower deck.

Celebrity does advertise (and automatically add) their insurance that lets you cancel for any reason, but it's my understanding that the 75% actually can only be used in Celebrity Future Cruise credits. For less than what they want us to pay for their insurance, we are generally able to get comprehensive travel insurance that includes cancel for work reasons and/or cancel for any reason...typically with 80-100% back cash (including flights and hotels and other out of pocket costs)-- though I've never actually had to pull the trigger on cancelling a cruise after final deposit. :) On the other hand, I do really appreciate that Celebrity lets you opt in our out of their insurance right up until final payment date.

I think the CS is a great cabin, especially on Millennium, after April, even better. You'll definitely enjoy it as it is a great mix of amenities, size and value. The cabin won't be all shiny and new, but will be clean and comfortable. There really doesn't seem to be much comparable on Hal with a true two room suites at that class level of cabin, though Hal has some really nice aft balconies in some suites.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Jenn,

I came back to get the info you shared and WAMMY, it appears our conversation was enough off topic that someone felt they should report it, though there seems to be plenty else on here that is worse. Oh well.

Can you email me the info at my name, the letter g the number six at g mail?

Thanks!

Jenna

Flafun888, often if you cancel for any reason it gets to be priced more similarly to the cruise line's policies; however, cancelling for health/work reasons are significantly cheaper. I also note that we are under 35 and I think the cruise lines charge flat fees for insurance, unlike individual 3rd party insurers, so YMMY. In any event, I think consistent with the rules around here I can say that you can research top rated companies and compare policies at a site with the name of an equilateral rectangle and the opening by which we eat, chew, etc. Good luck. :)

Hi Jenna, it did get a bit OT from my original question, but I feel like most things do-- even after years of use I'm still a CC novice and that was an hour or so of going through my records and looking for names/locations, etc.-- is there a host or someone who can find the info in a cache file or something? I am going to send you a test email in a moment with the same message.

Sherri, I don't think we actually resolved it on this thread-- just that at the time I booked Celebrity was clearly saying they had a right to charge a nominal fee for cancellation, but not what it was and (so far) nobody has actually paid any "nominal fee" if they cancelled before final payment. At least, that is my current understanding!

It is not a TA. That verbiage is definitely from Celebrity.

Google the following:

Cancellation carries a nominal charge if made before the first date below. This timetable shows applicable cancellation charges along with corresponding dates.

and you will find a development site with lots of Celebrity test pages and dummy bookings (I hope they are dummy bookings--there is a lot of personal info there).

Are they rolling out something new? Is this just another of a series of IT glitches? Does it maybe mean nothing (but not sure why it would be there)

Not sure if we are on the same page, but I cancelled a Celebrity Cruise last year and received a full refund of my deposit. Here is a copy and paste for the cancellation policy for a 6 night or longer cruise:

7. CANCELLATION OR EARLY DISEMBARKATION BY PASSENGER:

Cancellation of Cruise or CruiseTour. Refunds of the Cruise Fare or CruiseTour Fare (including any applicable supplement charges) for cancellations by

Passenger made prior to sailing or, with respect to CruiseTours cancellations made prior to the first day of the CruiseTour shall be made in accordance

with the following cancellation policy:

Days Prior to Departure Date:

FOR 6 NIGHT OR LONGER CRUISES CANCELLATION CHARGE

75 days or more No charge

74 to 57 days Deposit amount less taxes and fees

56 to 29 days 50% of total price less taxes and fees

28 to 15 days 75% of total price less taxes and fees

14 days or less No refund less taxes and fees

For bookings made outside of the United States and Canada, a different cancellation policy may apply. Contact your local office or travel agency for

details.

For Holiday Sailings, written notification must be received at least 90 days prior to the departure date.

Cancellation notices are effective when received by the Operator.

For Passengers who have booked a CruiseTour and desire to cancel their tour portion while retaining the Cruise, refunds of the CruiseTour Fare

(including any applicable supplement charges) shall be made in accordance with the following cancellation policy. Guests who convert their CruiseTours

to a cruise only booking within forty-two (42) days of the start date of the tour segment of the CruiseTour will be subject to a cancellation charge. The

amount of that charge varies depending on the location of the CruiseTour and/or its length. For the specific amount of the charge, visit

http://www.CelebrityCruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do.

The cancellation charge policies set forth above vary for single occupancy or for the third, fourth or higher occupants in a stateroom or for groups.

Consult your travel agency or call Celebrity Cruises for further details.

Cancellation by the Passenger after the Cruise or CruiseTour has begun, or early disembarkation of the Passenger for any reason, including pursuant to

any provision of this Ticket Contract, shall be without refund, compensation, or liability on the part of the Carrier whatsoever.

If Carrier received payment via credit card, the refund will be made to that credit card. If Carrier received payment from your travel agent, the refund will

be provided back to that travel agent.

There is no mention of a "nominal fee."

I can't stand the word nominal. Cruise lines Ned to stop using that word. Nominal to me is a small amount and the charges are not small.

The current nominal charge for canceling before finally payment is $0 I belive, so maybe they should use negligible or non-existent?

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Not sure if we are on the same page, but I cancelled a Celebrity Cruise last year and received a full refund of my deposit. Here is a copy and paste for the cancellation policy for a 6 night or longer cruise:

7. CANCELLATION OR EARLY DISEMBARKATION BY PASSENGER:

Cancellation of Cruise or CruiseTour. Refunds of the Cruise Fare or CruiseTour Fare (including any applicable supplement charges) for cancellations by

Passenger made prior to sailing or, with respect to CruiseTours cancellations made prior to the first day of the CruiseTour shall be made in accordance

with the following cancellation policy:

Days Prior to Departure Date:

FOR 6 NIGHT OR LONGER CRUISES CANCELLATION CHARGE

75 days or more No charge

74 to 57 days Deposit amount less taxes and fees

56 to 29 days 50% of total price less taxes and fees

28 to 15 days 75% of total price less taxes and fees

14 days or less No refund less taxes and fees

For bookings made outside of the United States and Canada, a different cancellation policy may apply. Contact your local office or travel agency for

details.

For Holiday Sailings, written notification must be received at least 90 days prior to the departure date.

Cancellation notices are effective when received by the Operator.

For Passengers who have booked a CruiseTour and desire to cancel their tour portion while retaining the Cruise, refunds of the CruiseTour Fare

(including any applicable supplement charges) shall be made in accordance with the following cancellation policy. Guests who convert their CruiseTours

to a cruise only booking within forty-two (42) days of the start date of the tour segment of the CruiseTour will be subject to a cancellation charge. The

amount of that charge varies depending on the location of the CruiseTour and/or its length. For the specific amount of the charge, visit

http://www.CelebrityCruises.com/beforeyourcruise/heroSingleTxtSub.do.

The cancellation charge policies set forth above vary for single occupancy or for the third, fourth or higher occupants in a stateroom or for groups.

Consult your travel agency or call Celebrity Cruises for further details.

Cancellation by the Passenger after the Cruise or CruiseTour has begun, or early disembarkation of the Passenger for any reason, including pursuant to

any provision of this Ticket Contract, shall be without refund, compensation, or liability on the part of the Carrier whatsoever.

If Carrier received payment via credit card, the refund will be made to that credit card. If Carrier received payment from your travel agent, the refund will

be provided back to that travel agent.

There is no mention of a "nominal fee."

Hope this policy of no charge for cruises cancelled before 75 days or 90 days (written notification required) holds. We have had to flip or outright cruises many times before final payment.

Some travel agencies do charge but we don't use a TA.

Edited by SherriZ366