Any Contractor's Here?

notjaded

Taking a 14-day cruise. My cabin has a door to an adjoining suite, and posts elsewhere suggest that there will be pass-through noise.

Some suggest placing a towel at the base of the door. I'm thinking of weather-stripping the entire door, but do not want to do anything that will cause damage to the cabin, or otherwise leave a sticky residue.

Anyone with any experience in matters like this who can suggest a good fix? (and yes, I have heard of Ambien, earplugs and white noise machines)

Many thanks!

Edited by notjaded

I really appreciate helpful Cruise Critic readers who offer great advice. Many thanks!

I apologize, I usually try to be more helpful and my snarky reply is not my usual style.

I guess that applying weather stripping just seemed a little beyond the norm to me. As I think about it I just can't imagine any type of weather-stripping that doesn't involve a good amount of some sort of adhesive or adhesive tape that would seem to be problematic when put on someone else's property.

For what it's worth, we've sailed in connecting cabins a couple of times and while there was a bit more noise than a non-connecting cabin the difference wasn't appreciable. While I'd prefer not to be in a connecting cabin I wouldn't take any extra measures if we ended up in one. The biggest problem I've had with them (on M class ships) is that the sofa in the cabin was smaller than in other cabins in order to make up for the wall space taken up by the door.

I'll also add that none of this applies to Solstice, Equinox, Eclipse or Silhouette. All of these ships have a completely different concept for connecting staterooms and do not have a direct doorway between cabins. On these ships the connection is done by a second door which when used forms a sort of vestibule hallway between the cabins in front of the regular cabin doors. When not used as connecting cabins this extra door is folded out of the way and you just use the normal cabin door. So there is no decrease in sound insulation between the connecting, and non-connecting, cabins on these ships.

Edited by Lsimon

Sorry but weatherstripping is not a good idea at all. It goes on with a strong adhesive as it is not meant to be removed and may cause damage to the door. I am sorry to say it all really depends on who is in the cabin next door. We have traveled when the people in the cabin next door (kids) were so loud that we had to go to guest services and complain several times before the parents would do anything. We have also traveled in a cabin with an adjoining door and never hear a thing. And sleeping pills may not help. Even with sleeping pills, noises wake me up and just make me angry. If you have time, and there is not additional cost, you may want to change to a cabin without adjoining doors. Either way, I am sorry to say, it all depends on your neighbors.

And sleeping pills may not help. Even with sleeping pills, noises wake me up and just make me angry.

I always bring ear plugs and use them when there is any noise problem. The ones I use are quite effective and are comfortable when sleeping. They are made by 3M for use in industrial areas with lots of noise and are available on Amazon and at Home Depot.

310twcAVUML._AA160_.jpg

Edited by boogs

If you're on an S class ship, there won't be a problem.. there's no traditional "connecting door"

If next door people are so loud as to disturb you, I'd ask very, very nicely for them to turn it down a notch.

Edit to add: Just saw Lsimon's second reply, he described the doors on the S class perfectly

Edited by cruise kitty

If you're on an S class ship, there won't be a problem.. there's no traditional "connecting door"

If next door people are so loud as to disturb you, I'd ask very, very nicely for them to turn it down a notch.

Edit to add: Just saw Lsimon's second reply, he described the doors on the S class perfectly

This is true only for the first four S-class ships. The last S-class, Reflection, has the connecting doors in the wall opposite the bathroom door - the more common design. However, they must be very well insulated because we never heard anything through ours.

Edited by boogs

I have yet to have any issues with noise. Sometimes I think people are looking for things to complain about. If you have partiers next door, you'll hear them regardless of pass through or not.

I wouldn't worry about it.

The OP is likely asking about 6145 as they said that is the cabin they are in on another post. This particular cabin connects to the penthouse. Generally the noise reported from the penthouse has been from the piano.

I can see, if you're reading, or enjoying some peace, or listening to the ocean, how the nice, but unwanted noise could be disturbing even if it was "pleasant".

We leave in Maine. It's cold and there are weather striplings that are removable, like putties. People strip windows and doors they use in the summer but want to seal in the winter. I think your questions was pretty ingenious. I'd recommend a search for "removable weather stripping" on Google or Amazon.

Enjoy the cabin, it is a great cabin, with the best bathroom below a royal suite on the ship.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Personally, I don't think weatherproofing with tape would make much difference. If you do want to tape the door, I would recommend getting hold of some 'application tape' as it is called on this side of the 'pond'. It is used by sign makers to hold vinyl lettering in place during fitting, and then peeled off. Normally does not get any adhesive residue left behind, unlike masking tape.

The biggest problem noise problem in a cabin for us has been next door serial door slammers!

The OP is likely asking about 6145 as they said that is the cabin they are in on another post. This particular cabin connects to the penthouse. Generally the noise reported from the penthouse has been from the piano.

I can see, if you're reading, or enjoying some peace, or listening to the ocean, how the nice, but unwanted noise could be disturbing even if it was "pleasant".

We leave in Maine. It's cold and there are weather striplings that are removable, like putties. People strip windows and doors they use in the summer but want to seal in the winter. I think your questions was pretty ingenious. I'd recommend a search for "removable weather stripping" on Google or Amazon.

Enjoy the cabin, it is a great cabin, with the best bathroom below a royal suite on the ship.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks for your helpful tip!

Personally, I don't think weatherproofing with tape would make much difference. If you do want to tape the door, I would recommend getting hold of some 'application tape' as it is called on this side of the 'pond'. It is used by sign makers to hold vinyl lettering in place during fitting, and then peeled off. Normally does not get any adhesive residue left behind, unlike masking tape.

The biggest problem noise problem in a cabin for us has been next door serial door slammers!

Thanks for your helpful suggestion!

Please report back the noise and or what you did as we have 6145 for 16 days in November on Infinity

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I'll be back mid-November, but will try to post an update before then.

May I suggest Mack Wax for your ears. It's great to block a snoring mate.

And, Frog type tape like painters use for the door. You can apply it similar to a tape of Post-it and layer it on for "weather stripping" that comes off without pulling paint off.

The Mack Wax and Frog tape are inexpensive/small and lightweight. I'd take them along to alleviate any concern about noise next door.

Enjoy your cruise. Congratulations on getting the suite.

-Marisa

And, Frog type tape like painters use for the door. You can apply it similar to a tape of Post-it and layer it on for "weather stripping" that comes off without pulling paint off.

The Mack Wax and Frog tape are inexpensive/small and lightweight. I'd take them along to alleviate any concern about noise next door.

Enjoy your cruise. Congratulations on getting the suite.

-Marisa

Thanks for the tip!

I think in another thread someone mentioned placing a rolled up towel under the door of 6145.

Had SS 6146 for a couple of weeks on the Connie last year and it was a great cabin - that is until the adjoining Penthouse player piano began playing around the clock. It was miserable - not only for the noise, but also for the repetition. Turned out the occupants wanted to sit on the balcony all day with their friends, and enjoy the music. Apparently, it had to be loud to be heard outside, or maybe the balcony doors were closed - who knows??

Weather stripping or towels under the door would not have solved the problem. In this case, only good manners would make a difference.

The Butler was conflicted because he didn't want to annoy the $$$ Penthouse folks, but knew something had to be done. Funny part was that he kept suggesting that big $$$ spent for the Penthouse were of no concern. We were laughing since he kept bringing it up - we didn't.

We persisted for two days and finally Guest Relations settled it. After that, just a few murmurs - hopefully about us :p.

MARK

Thanks for the tip!

You're welcome.

Another tip from a young man I met on a train who slept many nights in a coach car seat: visit the lounge, drink plenty; and, you'll sleep.

IMOpinion the chocolate martini is not a sleep aid.

-Marisa