Do It Now - Don't Procrastinate - Do You Want to Board That Ship?

sail7seas

I posted this on another forum and thought to bring it here, too.

After posting it, someone made the excellent suggestion people also check expiration date of passport.

Time and again, month after month, year after year, I read of a panicked hopeful cruiser who discovers days before their cruise, they can't find their passport and/or birth certificate. The stress and disappointment is so severe on them.

Promise yourself you will physically put your hands on your travel documents this week, you will make notes to yourself in places you will absolutely find where your passport and birth certificate are SAFELY stored. A month before your travel, confirm you can find them.

Stop this craziness about panicked search for passports. No reason anyone should put themselves in that position.

I feel sorry for them in a way but sometimes not. We read the intensity some people put into choosing their shore excursions, what the wine menu offers, and sometimes incredible minutiae but they don't give a thought to locating their travel documents.

Let's get our priorities straight. You aren't getting on the ship without your papers.

I wonder if Canadians are more proactive at looking at our passports because we can't go anywhere without them. That said last year a colleague and her husband booked a trip. A couple of days before he decides to look at his passport. It was expired. Before you book a trip why not look at your passport. That should be your first step.

I think this is an awesome reminder for all!

My recent experience is that we booked the Amsterdam for the Dec 8 Panama Canal Crossing 6 months ago.

A couple of weeks before final payment I decide to start entering our information in the On-line Check-in Process. Thankfully I was being pro-active for once because lo and behold, our 13 yr old's passport expires on Nov 14! (Reminder for those of us who still have under 18'ers - their US passport expires every 5 years. They are not renewable, you completely re-apply!) This is around September 15 so I immediately call and make an appointment at the Passport Office at the PO. The PO nearest to me has a 2 week wait but they can get us in at another office about 20 minutes away that same week! We take the earliest appointment available.

Long story short - Passport arrived 1st week of October (in only about 3 weeks!) For me, someone who likes everything in order, that was cutting it too close. LOL

I feel fortunate because if there had been any problems, it would been tight getting it without having to use the expensive "Express Service".

Again, everyone pull out those Passports and double-check! We used my son's recently - but how quickly those 5 years pass.....

Also, don't forget that most countries demand that your passport doesn't expire in six months following entry to the country. I am glad that here in Canada we finally can get a passport for 10 years instead of 5. It was a nuisance having to renew every 5 years.

I keep track of everything -- watch the dates on passports.

Have packing lists for the suitcases and lists of things that need to get done.

And a list of items that are to go into my purse -- and passports are on that list.

When I book our flights and print them out -- the passports go right in with them in a clear plastic sleeve. And I do check each month for flight changes. And we just had a flight change for November.

Which is why I wonder what people are thinking when they spend in-port time trying to get needless stamps in their passports - some even going to a post office for a postmark.

I have read that quite a few times over the years.

I would rather spend my time in a port learning about its history and seeing the sights than running around trying to get stamps in a passport.

Planning and being responsible....What a concept!

Totally agree! That's what saved my tush.

But again - completely shocked at how fast those 5 years went! Seems like yesterday we went down and applied for the last one (this is his 3rd.) He is the "baby"- only one still at home, so maybe it goes by faster with the baby....

I wonder if the forget to check the travel documents people are the same people who are shocked each time to find out they need their cruise card to get on and off the ship and hold the line up as they search for the card.

-:eek::o:D-- luv it i so agree

Our renewed passports are currently on their way to us from State Dept. Site says we shoud have them Wednesday.

We won't have to worry about expiration for another 10 years. :)

When they arrive I'll put them back in the portable lockbox in my office.

I don't take them out until a few days before travel when I put them with other travel documents in my travel purse. A large oversize purse, my personal item, that holds lots of stuff to make travel easier.

Edited by NMLady

Our renewed passports are currently on their way to us from State Dept. Site says we shoud have them Wednesday.

We won't have to worry about expiration for another 10 years. :)

When they arrive I'll put them back in the portable lockbox in my office.

I don't take them out until a few days before travel when I put them with other travel documents in my travel purse. A large oversize purse, my personal item, that holds lots of stuff to make travel easier.

Do you lock your lockbox? We had one stolen. Actually, it wasn't even locked! Since that experience, the only reason I would have one is to keep things safe in case of fire. And, it would be in my basement!

We keep our passports in a safety deposit box at a local credit union. We put notes in calendars to remind us when they might be nearing expiring. We travel often so we always are aware of the date.

Since the overwhelming majority of Americans don't have a passport, it's all foreign concepts to them.

I think this is another very good reason to do your online check-in soon after you book. Putting in your passport details and expiry date will certainly send up a red flag if it is soon to expire. That happened to me once, and I had time to get them renewed.

I am kind of paranoid about leaving nothing to chance. We usually drive to the ports, sometimes stopping overnight along the way. I have a soft flexible binder with tabs and I put everything in it. Hotel reservations along the way, boarding passes and receipts for shore excursions, dining reservations, etc. I even go so far as to have credit card printouts to prove payment.

I have never needed it but it makes me feel more comfortable.