Helicopter airlift off Radiance

The Westpac helicopter transferred a 51 year old woman from the Radiance off Coffs Coast earlier this week.

The woman is reported to be in a stable condition according to our local newspaper.

I wonder how many times sick passengers are airlifted from cruise ships each year?

Travel insurance would I assume cover the passengers costs.

Gae

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They would have to have travel insurance that covers emergency assistance/medical evacuation.

With some companies they have various levels of cover and with one they have Gold, Silver and Bronze cover, only Gold covers you for unlimited medical and medical evacuation. Hope the patient was covered.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

That is probably why some insurance companies refuse to insure certain people or make the costs of travel insurance so prohibitive that they are unable to travel. If you speak to some of the elderly people you will soon learn that due to health complications they have to give up travel at a certain age. The biggest issue with health and travel is the cost of insurance or the refusal of insurance.

I just looked at the PDS for the insurance company I usually use and it says you need to contact the insurance company and 'The evacuation must be authorised and arranged by the insurance company'

I wonder how that would work with a medical evacuation from a cruise ship?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just looked at the PDS for the insurance company I usually use and it says you need to contact the insurance company and 'The evacuation must be authorised and arranged by the insurance company'

I think you would find that a helicopter would not leave its base until it had confirmation of who was paying.

Even "mercy" flights have to be paid for and will either be charged to the patient , or to the charity that is operating it.

The same. If it's serious enough that an evacuation is being considered, there is discussion about insurance/payment, and the insurance company would be contacted ashore. They would then give approval and/or arrange the flight once agreed.

I think you would find that a helicopter would not leave its base until it had confirmation of who was paying.

Even "mercy" flights have to be paid for and will either be charged to the patient , or to the charity that is operating it.

Yes, there can be some tricky negotiations to be made. We have the Southcare helicopter here and they are constantly evacuating people from the Snow or the South coast of NSW. They rely on donations and Government funding for maintenance and wages etc but mainly on the fees from insurance for operational duties.:D

Talk about psychic???

I just read this thread, then heard a lot of sirens , followed by the Westpac helicopter flying overhead and landing in the school grounds just down the road. :eek:

Yes, I hope that all is well with the patient from the school!