Dress code on formal night...tie/jacket required?

The4scotts

We are going to be sailing on the Caribbean next week and are not big on dressing up, but it is our 25th wedding anniversary so would like to on the formal night.

My husband had planned on wearing a nice black/striped dress shirt and dress slacks, but is not crazy about wearing a tie or jacket. Will he have any problem getting in to any of the dining rooms?

Probably not. My husband also doesn't like to 'dress up.' He will take a tie or now, has found a comfortable jacket to put on top, so he will take one or both when we cruise. But there will be others wearing similar attire and some who are more underdressed than your husband. And then again. . .there will be some in full tuxedos complete with cummerbund!

Go have fun and don't worry!

We were on Star Princess last couple of weeks and on both formal nights we saw some of both. Most people were pretty dressed up many with ties, but no jackets and others just wore nice pants and shirts with no ties. I didn't see anyone get turned away. Some people were wearing tuxes, but not so many as I've seen on past cruises.

I think it's good form to dress nicely, but I think the standard of "formal" has become less rigid. I didn't see anyone dressed anything less than "really nice".

Although I don't care what anyone else wears I really like getting the chance to get dressed up for a change since we seldom have occasions to get formal in normal life these days.

The food on both formal nights was a notch above the other nights and very very good. The other nights were also good, but I think they try to do it special on formal nights. We had a lot of fun playing dress up for a couple of nights on a 10 day cruise.

Today I'm back to land and jeans and flannel and wishing I still had somewhere to go... until next cruise!

Tom

I am having a difficult time deciding what to wear on our next cruise in November. I have always honored the formal night, black tie requested evening by suiting up in my tuxedo. I am now thinking that I would be much more comfortable in a pair of slacks with an open neck shirt and sport coat. Dressing formally is just starting to sound like too much trouble. My wife agrees and would also feel much more physical not doing formal dress up.

We are on the regal for a week starting November 30th and are Platinum Elite.

Opinions are welcome

We were on Star Princess last couple of weeks and on both formal nights we saw some of both. Most people were pretty dressed up many with ties, but no jackets and others just wore nice pants and shirts with no ties. I didn't see anyone get turned away. Some people were wearing tuxes, but not so many as I've seen on past cruises.

I think it's good form to dress nicely, but I think the standard of "formal" has become less rigid. I didn't see anyone dressed anything less than "really nice".

Although I don't care what anyone else wears I really like getting the chance to get dressed up for a change since we seldom have occasions to get formal in normal life these days.

The food on both formal nights was a notch above the other nights and very very good. The other nights were also good, but I think they try to do it special on formal nights. We had a lot of fun playing dress up for a couple of nights on a 10 day cruise.

Today I'm back to land and jeans and flannel and wishing I still had somewhere to go... until next cruise!

Tom

Sounds very practical to me!

We always do tux and formal dresses on formal nights, but then again that is one of our favorite experiences when we cruise. In our normal lives, we never have the occasion to dress up, so it is special for us. We enjoy seeing the other passengers all dressed up as well, especially when they wear dress wear from their native country (ie Scotland, Japan, some African nations, etc). And of course, a toddler in a tux is one of the cutest sights ever!

We always do tux and formal dresses on formal nights, but then again that is one of our favorite experiences when we cruise. In our normal lives, we never have the occasion to dress up, so it is special for us. We enjoy seeing the other passengers all dressed up as well, especially when they wear dress wear from their native country (ie Scotland, Japan, some African nations, etc). And of course, a toddler in a tux is one of the cutest sights ever!

DW and I agree 100%.

Paul

Sorry but formal should be at least a dark suit with a tie or dinner suit and bow tie. Just returned from Emerald Princess and that is the only thing I have to say is not good about Princess is the adhered dress code. IMO I know if you dont want to adhere to the dress code you can always eat at the buffet restaurant but I do think that if you dont stick to the dress code of the evening you shouldnt be allowed to eat in MDR.

Sorry but formal should be at least a dark suit with a tie or dinner suit and bow tie. Just returned from Emerald Princess and that is the only thing I have to say is not good about Princess is the adhered dress code. IMO I know if you dont want to adhere to the dress code you can always eat at the buffet restaurant but I do think that if you dont stick to the dress code of the evening you shouldnt be allowed to eat in MDR.

I agree but we are the definite minority. Maybe there is special pricing on Gucci formal ware for minorities.:)

My dh wears a suit and tie every day to work. When we cruise, if we do formal night, he is very handsome in a long sleeve dress shirt, tie and dress pants. We rarely bring a coat any more.

I wear the ever popular :D black dress pants and dressy top usually. I have also worn the ever popular :D black dress pants with a plain top dressed up with costume jewelry.

You will be fine. Relax and enjoy. If you really want to dress down, do as said and go to buffet - but you do not have to do it up big unless you want to do so. It is a personal preference.

I have seen many men without a tie or jacket. In fact my husband likes to wear a dress shirt, slacks and a vest for formal wear. For tropical cruises I even made myself a Hawaiian print long dress and made him a matching vest and bow tie . But even though he will wear both tie and vest, sometimes he just wears the vest. Anything dressier then a polo type shirt is fine along with a pair of slacks.

Amen!

So forgive me for being slow on the uptake, but as I understand from this thread

On a formal night you must be in at least a jacket and tie to dine in the MDR.

On normal nights, dress pants and long sleeve shirts are a minimum. (Are short sleeve dress shirts acceptable?)

At the buffet you can be dressed in a 'respectable' but casual way anytime to eat, even on the formal night, if you don't wish to attend the event.

Have any of you found that certain cruises ( eg: those originating in say, Australia ;)) that fellow cruisers tend to be a little more casual in their attitude and dress on formal night, or are they in boots and all?

Cheers

No, a tie and jacket are not required for the buffet nor the specialty restaurants but they are expected for the main dining room.

Expected but not required anywhere. The only place is on the Princess Guidlines where it is requested but not required. Long sleeve shirt and tie are fine.

We are going to be sailing on the Caribbean next week and are not big on dressing up, but it is our 25th wedding anniversary so would like to on the formal night.

My husband had planned on wearing a nice black/striped dress shirt and dress slacks, but is not crazy about wearing a tie or jacket. Will he have any problem getting in to any of the dining rooms?

I just got off the Island and here's what the Patter says about dress for formal night: Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women....Tuxedo, dark suite or dinner jacket and slacks for men.

I never saw any men without a jacket or tie.

Tom:)

In the dining rooms jacket is usually required on formal nights. On one cruise our friend tried to go in without a jacket, just the normal nice slacks and shirt, so the Maitre 'd brought him one of his to wear.

We like formal nights and I always just rent the tux and shoes. The whole thing shows up in your closet sometime on the first day with everything, then disappears the last evening. Too easy and no worries about pressing or packing. If you are honest in your measurements then it always fits. I took my own tux a couple of times, but I'm on Holiday so it was too much trouble.

Have a great time on your cruise whatever you decide to do.

Formal night is formal night. It depends on the Maitre' D. If he allows you in the dining room you might notice that all the men will either be in dark suits or tux's. Heck it's your 25th anniversary. Look nice for her.

Although most guys will have on a at least a jacket and tie, Princess will allow him in the dining room just dressed casually as you describe without one. Dress pants with a long sleeve dress shirt are all that's really required. You'll always see at least a dozen or more guys that don't care to participate in the formal routine.