Dress code on formal night...tie/jacket required?

The4scotts

We are going to be sailing on the Caribbean next week and are not big on dressing up, but it is our 25th wedding anniversary so would like to on the formal night.

My husband had planned on wearing a nice black/striped dress shirt and dress slacks, but is not crazy about wearing a tie or jacket. Will he have any problem getting in to any of the dining rooms?

While you will see the occasional tuxedo, you will more likely see a sport coat, dinner jacket, dress shirt and dress slacks, or, a business suit (with and without neckties) on the gentlemen. For the ladies, appropriate cocktail attire, elegant skirts, dressy pantsuits and blouses will typically be favored over evening gowns.

In the dining rooms jacket is usually required on formal nights. On one cruise our friend tried to go in without a jacket, just the normal nice slacks and shirt, so the Maitre 'd brought him one of his to wear.

We like formal nights and I always just rent the tux and shoes. The whole thing shows up in your closet sometime on the first day with everything, then disappears the last evening. Too easy and no worries about pressing or packing. If you are honest in your measurements then it always fits. I took my own tux a couple of times, but I'm on Holiday so it was too much trouble.

Have a great time on your cruise whatever you decide to do.

I have never seen this happen on any Princess cruise my wife and I have been on and I always attend formal nights in a dress shirt, tie, slacks and a dress shoes. It is never a problem for the MD's we encounter and we tend to do long cruises.....:cool:

I do think that if you dont stick to the dress code of the evening you shouldnt be allowed to eat in MDR.

One of the problems I have with this comment it the best(??) food is usually served on formal nights. If I don't get all gussied up I'm not allowed to eat the lobster or filet?

...unless they rigidly adhere to a suggestion (not a requirement).

And herein lies the problem, (which is of Princess' own making, and only Princess can correct it.) None of the printed information about Formal Night reads like a "suggestion". People here just interpret it as such either because they want it to be, or because the cruise line does not enforce its own policy. So does an emphatic policy become a mere suggestion due to its non-enforcement? Perhaps. But from a pure semantic perspective, what Princess says about Formal Night is most decidedly not a "suggestion". Here is what is printed on their "Onboard Experience" information page:

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests. For details regarding this, please see the section on Formal Wear.

Emphasis added. If you read a sign that says: "Please observe our no smoking policy", do you read that as a suggestion not to smoke, or as a prohibition against smoking? There is no way to read: "please observe" as a suggestion. So suggesting that the attire policy on Formal Nights is a "suggestion" is simply wishful over reading. Consider what the previous poster told us:

I just got off the Island and here's what the Patter says about dress for formal night: Evening gown, cocktail dress, or elegant pant suit for women....Tuxedo, dark suite or dinner jacket and slacks for men.

It does not say: "We suggest evening gown...etc" What it sets out is much more akin to a "requirement.

But here is where Princess is at fault. It continues to lay out its policy as a requirement, yet fails to come close to enforcing it. It really would be better if their stated policy was in fact a suggestion, or an option. That would pretty much end the debate and quash any further discussion on this Board. The bottom line is that the people who post here that the Formal Night dress code is more than a mere suggestion are right. And the people who post here that Princess does not enforce its own policy and that nice slacks and a long sleeve shirt will suffice are also right. This is all as clear as mud and makes for great Board wars.

I have never been in an MDR where all the men fit the described Formal Night attire policy. Not even close. Those who insist that the policy is enforced are simply wrong. Those who would like the policy to be enforced are picking a different battle that is largely pointless on this Board. If you want Princess to adhere to its stated policy, take it up with them. Endless Board chatter does not further anyone's cause. All that matters is what the current practice is, and that is that nice attire will suffice, and neither jackets nor ties are required. Wishing that it were otherwise does not alter this truth.

Edited by JimmyVWine

I have never been in an MDR where all the men fit the described Formal Night attire policy. Not even close. Those who insist that the policy is enforced are simply wrong. Those who would like the policy to be enforced are picking a different battle that is largely pointless on this Board. If you want Princess to adhere to its stated policy, take it up with them. Endless Board chatter does not further anyone's cause. All that matters is what the current practice is, and that is that nice attire will suffice, and neither jackets nor ties are required. Wishing that it were otherwise does not alter this truth.

I totally agree. That said, in my experience, I have seen a small minority of men in the MDR who are not properly dressed. I am always surprised by the number of tuxes I see and the suits are everywhere.

Ture, there are always a few who get in with no jacket or tie, but they are by far the exception rather than the rule.

People reading these threads on this board who believe that formal nights are dead and that no one dresses up anymore will be in for a big surprise when they show up on a Princess ship on normal night.

And it does make a difference. On our last cruise on formal night we had a table for 8. I had my tux and two others had suits. The fourth guy arrived after we had sat down and was dressed in a nice shirt and slacks-acceptable to the "less formal" crown on this board. Anyway, I could sense he was uncomfortable being there and he ended up leaving early.

So, unless you are completely comfortable being underdressed, I would advise bringing the tie and jacket at least.

I totally agree. That said, in my experience, I have seen a small minority of men in the MDR who are not properly dressed. I am always surprised by the number of tuxes I see and the suits are everywhere.

Ture, there are always a few who get in with no jacket or tie, but they are by far the exception rather than the rule.

People reading these threads on this board who believe that formal nights are dead and that no one dresses up anymore will be in for a big surprise when they show up on a Princess ship on normal night.

And it does make a difference. On our last cruise on formal night we had a table for 8. I had my tux and two others had suits. The fourth guy arrived after we had sat down and was dressed in a nice shirt and slacks-acceptable to the "less formal" crown on this board. Anyway, I could sense he was uncomfortable being there and he ended up leaving early.

So, unless you are completely comfortable being underdressed, I would advise bringing the tie and jacket at least.

This will come as no surprise...but I agree with everything you said. While it is true that nice slacks and a collared shirt will almost always gain one access to the MDR on Formal Nights, this should not be read to mean that this is the norm or the majority. Far from it.

All that matters is what the current practice is, and that is that nice attire will suffice, and neither jackets nor ties are required. Wishing that it were otherwise does not alter this truth.

Well said. Your entire response was well thought out but I did not want to clutter by quoting the whole thing.

My basic "rub" is when guest A tells guest B to go to the buffet. Guest A has no power or authority to tell Guest B what to do. That is up to shipboard management to do and Princess has policies in place with which to backup management IF they take that stance.

One of the problems I have with this comment it the best(??) food is usually served on formal nights. If I don't get all gussied up I'm not allowed to eat the lobster or filet?

While some people would love to see that happen it's not the way Princess enforces their formal attire rule/suggestion. Their standing has been for years to make all their customers happy no matter what the style of dress including those in casual clothing. (shorts and T shirts not included)

If the day would even come that they did serve the same food in the buffet I would be the first to abandon the DR & eat there on formal nights. I don't need a waiter for serve me each course accompanied with the pouring of wine. I cruise for the food on vacation & not the atmosphere.

While you will see the occasional tuxedo, you will more likely see a sport coat, dinner jacket, dress shirt and dress slacks, or, a business suit (with and without neckties) on the gentlemen. For the ladies, appropriate cocktail attire, elegant skirts, dressy pantsuits and blouses will typically be favored over evening gowns.

...and if Princess ever decided to actually uphold its own policy, you would be right. But my suggestion to you is that on your next cruise, print out the policy that is on the website; stand next to the Maitre d'; and every time someone tries to enter the MDR in less than what the policy requires, point it out to the Maitre d' and see what he says. If he says: "You are absolutely right. I have been falling down on the job. I will toss these scoundrels out", then you will have won the battle. If he says: "Yes, I know what the policy says. But it is impossible to enforce if we want all these paying passengers to have a good time", then you will have your answer and can move on with life, or move over to a cruise line that actually enforces its Formal Nights.

And that's the thing. It's up to the gatekeeper at the door to decide if someone's attire is acceptable. I would imagine that if the maitre'd is away from the door, he expects his staff there to use their judgement.

On our last cruise, which had three formal nights, one man a few tables away from us wore a dress shirt, no tie, and no jacket (I didn't see one draped on his chair) on those three nights. So obviously the maitre'd and staff didn't see a problem with that.

My hubby wore the one sports jacket he brought and wore a festive tie (those last three cruises were all at the holidays) to formal dinners on those cruises. So not a dark jacket.

SANY0625_zpsc5896676.jpg

While some people would love to see that happen it's not the way Princess enforces their formal attire rule/suggestion. Their standing has been for years to make all their customers happy no matter what the style of dress including those in casual clothing. (shorts and T shirts not included)

I also agree with you. My main point is that casual dress in the MDRs on Formal night, while there, is not as prevalent as many would like to make it sound on this board.

As I have said, the vast majority comply with the rules. And so it goes.

By the way. For a change I tried the pheasant one night and found it to be a great alternative to the lobster and beef offered!

On our last cruise' date=' which had three formal nights, one man a few tables away from us wore a dress shirt, no tie, and no jacket (I didn't see one draped on his chair) on those three nights. So obviously the maitre'd and staff didn't see a problem with that.

[/quote']

On our last several Princess cruises we've also seen men in the MDR without jackets or ties. Every year the dress seems to be increasing less formal.

LuLu

My dh was one of several and a minority in the dining room with his nice dress shirt and tie but we were not uncomfortable as there were several other men dressed just like him.

Oh I really don't want to say this. I really don't but won't somebody just slap me and and bless this southern girl's heart BUT my dh looked much, much better in his stylish business attire than some of the suits and ties and tuxes pulled out from the dark ages we saw some wearing. :eek: Well, I feel ugly now just typing that but it is true. However - we would have been happy for them to sit at our table and hoped all who were making an effort to gussy up a bit felt as comfortable as we did.

Okay. I am going to post it. No turning back.

And herein lies the problem, (which is of Princess' own making, and only Princess can correct it.) None of the printed information about Formal Night reads like a "suggestion". People here just interpret it as such either because they want it to be, or because the cruise line does not enforce its own policy. So does an emphatic policy become a mere suggestion due to its non-enforcement? Perhaps. But from a pure semantic perspective, what Princess says about Formal Night is most decidedly not a "suggestion". Here is what is printed on their "Onboard Experience" information page:

Emphasis added. If you read a sign that says: "Please observe our no smoking policy", do you read that as a suggestion not to smoke, or as a prohibition against smoking? There is no way to read: "please observe" as a suggestion. So suggesting that the attire policy on Formal Nights is a "suggestion" is simply wishful over reading. Consider what the previous poster told us:

It does not say: "We suggest evening gown...etc" What it sets out is much more akin to a "requirement.

But here is where Princess is at fault. It continues to lay out its policy as a requirement, yet fails to come close to enforcing it. It really would be better if their stated policy was in fact a suggestion, or an option. That would pretty much end the debate and quash any further discussion on this Board. The bottom line is that the people who post here that the Formal Night dress code is more than a mere suggestion are right. And the people who post here that Princess does not enforce its own policy and that nice slacks and a long sleeve shirt will suffice are also right. This is all as clear as mud and makes for great Board wars.

And this is all found in a section entitled "Clothing Recommendations"

And this is all found in a section entitled "Clothing Recommendations"

Actually, not in the place where I found the language. I found it under the FAQ section for "Onboard Atmosphere". Here is the text in its entirety:

Everyone at Princess is committed to ensuring you have a great time on your cruise. So, to preserve a relaxed and friendly atmosphere onboard, we ask that you observe a few guidelines.

• When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests. For details regarding this, please see the section on Formal Wear.
  • Should you wish to videotape onboard during your cruise, please feel free to do so. However, videotaping the onboard entertainment performances is not allowed for copyright reasons.
  • Inappropriate dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms.

So here, they use the word "guidelines" and not "recommendations". But I will take your word for it that if I searched around in other places of the website, I would find what you were looking at.

Recommendations. Guidelines. Who cares? The eternal question is "can I get in if I wear __________" and the answer is "yes". At that point, it doesn't matter if "getting in" is the result of the policy being a mere suggestion or the result of a stringent rule not being followed. We all end up in the same place.

Do you strongly disagree with the definition of formal wear or with the idea that no jacket means no entry to the MDR?

I disagree that formal night is a mandatory night to wear formal clothing. Personally I don't care if you and others wear a tux every night to the MDR. So why would you care if I go casual? You don't make any rules on the ship and neither do I.

I disagree that formal night is a mandatory night to wear formal clothing. Personally I don't care if you and others wear a tux every night to the MDR. So why would you care if I go casual? You don't make any rules on the ship and neither do I.

That's the point.....the tux crowd cannot enforce the suggestions and Princess is lenient in their interpretation of what is considered acceptable dress on formal nights....but some people just like to keep beating a dead tux!!! :D:D:D

I agree with you and as long as Princess does not make it mandatory, you are correct.

I have never seen this happen on any Princess cruise my wife and I have been on and I always attend formal nights in a dress shirt, tie, slacks and a dress shoes. It is never a problem for the MD's we encounter and we tend to do long cruises.....:cool:

All I can say is it did happen in '08 on our Sapphire west coast cruise. I don't remember who the MD was but he brought our friend one of his yellow jackets to wear. Our friend is Elite and said this had never happened before but it did that time.;)

Princess personnel have allowed men wearing long sleeve dress shirts and slacks to eat in the MDR on formal nights for a few years now.

The disputes that occur on these boards do not appear to happen on the ships. At least not the ships I have sailed.

I like the more relaxed dress codes, and have not seen the extremes that are frequently mentioned here such as wife-beaters and backward baseball caps.

The MDR atmosphere on the ships is very cordial, and everyone seems at ease with the application of the dress codes, so it must be working.

My last words on this....

On any ship carrying 3,000+ people, all five categories are going to be represented. From what I can tell, all will have a wonderful time except for those who fall into category #2 as they seem to want to look for ways to be miserable. Nevertheless, the folks in that category are never going to change the world. So they either need to adapt or move on to a more formal cruise line. The attire ship has sailed, if you pardon the expression. I don't see the trend reversing itself, and telling others to stay in their cabins so that one can enjoy their fantasy dress-up night shows the exact lack of respect that they so stridently demand.

Well said, well said, well said. My last words on this too.

My last words on this....

There are five types of people in the world:

1. Those who dress in formal attire on Formal Nights and for whom the look and feel of being personally dressed up is sufficient for them and they do not care how others dress or look;
  2. Those who dress in formal attire on Formal Nights and who feel that the evening is ruined for them if everyone else doesn't do likewise;
  3. Those who do not dress in formal attire on Formal Night because they choose not to, but opt to enjoy the MDRs anyway, and are dressed well enough to get in. (In all likelihood, these people do not have an agenda of ruining anyone else's evening, but if there are any #2's on board, they just might have that impact);
  4. Those who do not dress in formal attire on Formal Night and who choose not to dine in the MDRs but could have if they had so chosen; and
  5. Those whose attire falls below even the lax enforcement of the Formal Night attire requirements and who would not be let into the MDRs even if they wanted to be.

On any ship carrying 3,000+ people, all five categories are going to be represented. From what I can tell, all will have a wonderful time except for those who fall into category #2 as they seem to want to look for ways to be miserable. Nevertheless, the folks in that category are never going to change the world. So they either need to adapt or move on to a more formal cruise line. The attire ship has sailed, if you pardon the expression. I don't see the trend reversing itself, and telling others to stay in their cabins so that one can enjoy their fantasy dress-up night shows the exact lack of respect that they so stridently demand.

You win the prize, Jimmy !!! The best description I have seen !!!!