All Open Seating in MDR (no "Fixed")

SilvertoGold

Not sure if I should have necessarily used that term. Here is part of an article that covers what Carnival did:

American TABLE

American FEAST

He also makes it clear that another iconic Carnival tradition isn’t going away: dining room entertainment, courtesy of the serving staff. “Waiters will still have time to do their dances and parades. Our waiters and servers love to perform. That will absolutely stay,” said Tamis.

That sounds positively awful.

For us, too, dinner with the same group nightly is (usually) a highlight :) DH and I spend enough time together; cruising gives us an opportunity to enjoy the company of others, get to know others, share conversations etc. Open dining doesn't provide that same opportunity IME.

That is a lot like WORK, and requires the buy-in of all the guests at the table. And someone to organize it, act as the "event coordinator". There are many reasons that organizing a group of pretty-much-strangers to meet for dinner every night isn't a terribly viable option.

No organization needed. We all usually ate around the same time anyway (as you do with fixed dining). All you do is say "let's meet at say 6:00" outside the dining room. Anyone not there is presumed not to be coming. Not a big issue. A few times I showed up and only 1 other person was there... we then joined another table and we just sort of reformed later. No organization needed. But I can see some people would not like it. I had fixed dining on the longer cruises as per HAL's policy and our table did some some shifting about as people found new friends, people got off, or whatever. I just sort of go with the flow. My next cruise is fixed only ... so we shall see how it works out this time. i have had good and bad experience. And my cruises by the way have varied in length between 14 and 77 days. I can see on a short cruise you might not be able to find your group.

Susan

No organization needed. We all usually ate around the same time anyway (as you do with fixed dining). All you do is say "let's meet at say 6:00" outside the dining room. Anyone not there is presumed not to be coming. Not a big issue. A few times I showed up and only 1 other person was there... we then joined another table and we just sort of reformed later. No organization needed. But I can see some people would not like it. I had fixed dining on the longer cruises as per HAL's policy and our table did some some shifting about as people found new friends, people got off, or whatever. I just sort of go with the flow. My next cruise is fixed only ... so we shall see how it works out this time. i have had good and bad experience. And my cruises by the way have varied in length between 14 and 77 days. I can see on a short cruise you might not be able to find your group.

Susan

I did a girls' cruise one year, only 7 days, but it took us until the last night onboard before we were seated with others who were convivial, socially appropriate and overall enjoyable to be with. I think the 3 groups of us bonded as we shared our "war stories" of other open dining nights ;) So we did eventually, too late, find our "group".

If you consider meeting one of your "dinner group" as "dining with people you know" in open seating, that's okay with me. For some of us though, the camaraderie that develops when dining with the same people night after night is an enjoyable part of cruising.

I like the current arrangement, fixed and open. Something for everyone, pretty much :)

What is clear is that different offerings appeal to different people.

We are clearly in the "anytime" camp, because we like our tables for 2. That is more important to us than eating at a specific time.

I have had different experiences on different HAL cruises. This past cruise there were long lineups at 5:30, and luxurious attention by all dining staff at 7:30. In the past we have had great success getting a table for 2 right at 5:30. Our takeaway from our recent cruise was that we were going to have a different experience on every cruise and we need to figure it out early to figure out what is going to work best for us.

While trying to figure this out on the last cruise, I jokingly asked my husband how much we would pay to have a fixed table for 2 at our preferred seating time. We got into a long conversation about how that would be the next thing cruise lines would charge for!

Is your highlighted comment "fact" or your opinion? I ask because that is not what we were told on our last two cruises.

I've seen physical numbers showing anytime is preferred.

Each cruise will be different, but the trend to anytime cannot be denied.

Probably worth a try. They've tested it on charters and have seen it works.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen sooner than later.

The new ship is heavily slanted toward culinary operations, I think you are correct. I don't believe they'll eliminate fixed but assume the dining too for fixed will be small.

We have always chosen fixed dining, and table for two....and we even have a favorite table location...Hence, I'm sure we would not be happy with open dining only.....We like the idea of getting to know the waiters so well over the cruising days. What would this do,to the extra tips that most of us give to our great waiters..?

This is us, too. Fixed dining, 2-top, and we have a favourite table which I ask for when we book.

I've seen physical numbers showing anytime is preferred.

Each cruise will be different, but the trend to anytime cannot be denied.

Then why does being "wait-listed" for both early and late dining happen so often? You only see a few empty tables where people may have gone to the PG or Lido for the evening. I've never seen any numbers with regard to this topic, though I haven't looked, I must admit.

Then why does being "wait-listed" for both early and late dining happen so often? You only see a few empty tables where people may have gone to the PG or Lido for the evening. I've never seen any numbers with regard to this topic, though I haven't looked, I must admit.

We had one cruise in the Caribbean when late fixed was pretty much an abandoned wasteland, but that was the only time we have experienced that. I don't doubt that (as sppunk mentioned) it varies, but we've only seen it once. Of course, we don't cruise nearly as much as some on CC do.

Half the late seating was empty on our last cruise, and that was in Europe! :)

The wait list thing I think other than a HAL "send them to anytime" is TAs blocking a huge percentage with group bookings.

I find this an interesting thread:) On our last two cruises we asked for Anytime dining when booking. Once we got to the terminal, our sail card said late dining for one and early dining for the next one. The MD refused our request to change from late to anything else. The early one was changed to open seating with no problem. I am hoping for this cruise next month, we have requested open seating once again and I really hope this time our sail card will say that. I guess my question would be, if fixed dining is so popular, why were both of our cruises changed from open to fixed?

I find this an interesting thread:) On our last two cruises we asked for Anytime dining when booking. Once we got to the terminal, our sail card said late dining for one and early dining for the next one. The MD refused our request to change from late to anything else. The early one was changed to open seating with no problem. I am hoping for this cruise next month, we have requested open seating once again and I really hope this time our sail card will say that. I guess my question would be, if fixed dining is so popular, why were both of our cruises changed from open to fixed?

If you want open seating but are assigned fixed, you can show up for anytime and will be seated. However, you will lose the fixed table assignment and not be able to return to it. You can not go back and forth between the two.

If you want open seating but are assigned fixed, you can show up for anytime and will be seated.

When I wanted to switch from fixed seating to open half way through a cruise, I was told that it was a request, and they would make a decision. It was not guaranteed, or automatic.

I was switched, but had to wait until the next day to find out.

I don't care if it is open or fixed, as long as we can get a table for 2. I don't want to meet new people for dinner, i want to spend time with my husband. It is our vacation!!!

I'm with you. Cruising for me is not about forced socialization with other people, it's time for me to spend time with my family members and see new places in the world. And I prefer open since it gives more flexibility and less structure, something I enjoy while on vacation.

Edited by Windsailer
typo

Not sure if I should have necessarily used that term. Here is part of an article that covers what Carnival did:

American TABLE

Cruise Casual nights will form the backdrop for American TABLE. Changing menus each evening are designed to recreate a “modern American restaurant experience.” Appetizers, entrée and desserts will include familiar regional and contemporary classics.

New place settings, menus, table décor and serving style are also part of the changes. Meals will begin with a cocktail menu that includes specialties such as a Raspberry Mojito, Carnival Cosmo and the Sunset Serenity. Guests may also select featured wines by the glass or a wine menu available by glass and bottle. An appetizer menu includes selections that can be served family style for the table.

“The good news is you don’t have to share. You can order for yourself. Have a great yummy appetizer that is just for you. But you can also order for the table, which is a popular option in a lot of restaurants these days,” said Tamis.

Soup and salad options are available. And special selections dubbed “Rare Finds” will appear on the menu each night. They’ll include items such as Spicy Alligator Fritters, Frog Legs Provencal with Herb Butter and Sesame Crusted Shark for more adventurous diners.

American TABLE entrees include pasta dishes such as Ratatouille Lasagna with Goat Cheese. Poultry selections include Free Range Chicken with Salsa Verde and Charred Lemon or Cornmeal Crusted Chicken Breast with Black Bean, Corn and Tomato Salsa. Meat and seafood favorites include Seared Tilapia with Capers and Parsley or Rosemary Braised Lamb Shank.

Additionally, “Port of Call” selections will reflect the ship’s itinerary. Examples include these dishes inspired by St. Thomas, USVI: Tropical Salad of Ripe Mango, Spicy Grilled Chicken Strips, Crispy Carrots and Red and Green Peppers on a Bed of Fresh Greens Drizzled with Tangy Raspberry Vinaigrette, and Island Chicken Curry with Potato Crisps and Sweet and Sour Mango Chutney. Similarly, selections for the port of Cozumel include the Ultimate Margarita, Tortilla Soup with Braised Chicken and Steak Tacos with Tomatillo-Cilantro and Avocado-Arbol Chile.

Each evening, guests may also select “From the Grill” entrees such as Pork Chop with Caramelized Onions and Stewed Apple. Past guests will also be happy to know that Carnival staples such as Flat Iron Steak with Pepper and Herbs, and Veal Parmigiana with Spaghetti and Tomato Sauce will remain on the menu.

Just as in a restaurant, guests can order side dishes separately. Options include Mac ‘N Cheese with Bacon, Grilled Vegetables, Fragrant Basmati Pilaf and Whipped Yukon Potatoes. A special dessert menu includes options such as S’Mores Parfait, Warm Date and Fig Pudding and Nutella Tiramisu, as well as a divine pie of the day option served whole for the table and a la mode. A variety of featured after-dinner drinks and coffees will also be available.

American FEAST

The second new dining concept, American FEAST is reserved for Cruise Elegant nights. On most cruises, that means guests can enjoy this special occasion dining experience once or twice. American FEAST menus describe the dining concept as “celebrating delicious food and new friends on the high seas.”

With an emphasis on elegant celebration, American FEAST courses are served table-side. Menus include appetizers such as Braised Kale Blackened Port Tenderloin in Citrus Cream, Mojito Cured Salmon with Minted Cucumber Slaw, and Crispy Crab and Corn Fritters with Pineapple, Coconut and Cilantro Salsa. Pasta is served as the second course. And a selection of entrees follows. Dishes include Slow Cooked Prime Rib, Broiled Maine Lobster and Miso Marinated Salmon Filet.

For dessert, selections include Malted Chocolate Mousse with Hazelnut Cake, Sticky Toffee Brioche with Whipped Crème Fraiche, Chocolate Nib Crunch, Toasted Coconut-Lime and Strawberry Compote.

Carnival’s Tamis makes it clear that guests needn’t worry about being under-fed with the two new concepts. The line hasn’t forgotten that many passengers enjoy ordering different items from the menu on a “no limit” basis. “Nothing is changing. You can order one entrée. You can order another. You can order as much or as little as you want with American FEAST and American TABLE,” said Tamis.

He also makes it clear that another iconic Carnival tradition isn’t going away: dining room entertainment, courtesy of the serving staff. “Waiters will still have time to do their dances and parades. Our waiters and servers love to perform. That will absolutely stay,” said Tamis.

Who knew Carnival had the "MS Applebee's" in its fleet?

I had to go to open sometime ago. My DH never eats in the MDR. I could not make them understand one of us wanted fixed and one of us would not be there at all. On every cruise there would be an empty chair next to me waiting for someone that would never show.

I finally requested open and we go the PG most every night now anyway so that works for us.

I think it would be silly to completely do away with fixed dining as so many prefer it.

Edited by kakalina

When I wanted to switch from fixed seating to open half way through a cruise, I was told that it was a request, and they would make a decision. It was not guaranteed, or automatic.

I was switched, but had to wait until the next day to find out.

There are often personalities and egos involved. We all know people on 'power trips.'

Had you shown up for casual dining, you would have been seated and

would have lost the traditional table to which you had been assigned.

This straight from the mouth of two Hotel Directors and two Dining Room

Managers when I asked that exact question.

Edited by sail7seas

There are often personalities and egos involved. We all know people on 'power trips.'

I know that wasn't the case when I made the request. Neither of us was letting our ego get out of hand, nor was there a "power trip" involved from either of us.

Perhaps policies have changed in the few years since this happened?

No need to come up with Plan B, or C, or D each night.

Hubby just brought home a t-shirt that says "Plan B better be good" and in this case, I hope there is one and it better be good.

We have always had late fixed and enjoy a larger table; only once we had people we weren't compatible with, but(because we were so new to cruising) didn't know we could change tables. We have made many table friendships over the years and would not enjoy having to reinvent the wheel every night with different folks. I'm not sure what we would do. I can't imagine standing in line every evening waiting for a table, nor can I envision us utilizing the Lido every night either.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

Edited by ger_77

I know that wasn't the case when I made the request. Neither of us was letting our ego get out of hand, nor was there a "power trip" involved from either of us.

Perhaps policies have changed in the few years since this happened?

Then what game was he playing?

It's sometimes hard for them to find a fixed table but no problem having someone switch to open from fixed.