Boarding times.

Wyuna1

We were watching on the Sydney Cafe cam! Wow, what a day. Left about 6.45pm. Well done Graham and Joanne, I bet it was nice to see Gae giving you a smile as I am sure there was some grumbles at that time frame.

We are determined to get there very early for our White Bay adventure on the 26th. It makes trips that are only in Aussie waters very attractive with the current atmosphere. I understand security is important, but that is just making it a drawn out process.

We were watching on the Sydney Cafe cam! Wow, what a day. Left about 6.45pm. Well done Graham and Joanne, I bet it was nice to see Gae giving you a smile as I am sure there was some grumbles at that time frame.

We are determined to get there very early for our White Bay adventure on the 26th. It makes trips that are only in Aussie waters very attractive with the current atmosphere. I understand security is important, but that is just making it a drawn out process.

It is only when it is an Indonesian port that this situation occurs where they have to collect passports and entry forms with face to face customs and also have to have sixth months validity on the passport. I do not understand why they could not have done the process on the way to Brisbane and then any passport problems could have been sorted out before leaving Australian waters and would still have Darwin to throw anybody off that could not resolve their problem by then, not that it would reach that point.

It is only when it is an Indonesian port that this situation occurs where they have to collect passports and entry forms with face to face customs and also have to have sixth months validity on the passport. I do not understand why they could not have done the process on the way to Brisbane and then any passport problems could have been sorted out before leaving Australian waters and would still have Darwin to throw anybody off that could not resolve their problem by then, not that it would reach that point.

That would certainly make the process so much easier and quicker, they do that for overseas cruises (US and Asia) quite often.:D

It is interesting to know. That was one of the things that put me off the top end cruise, the fact I have no desire to visit Indonesian ports. I know that makes the duty free available etc, and people are then on a cruise going overseas, but to me, I would choose a cruise around the top end that was just Australian ports. I would like to see a few more stops, but I do realise that there are not a lot of stops available along that route. :)

Not going to an overseas port would make it a lot easier for a family if they don't need to get passports. Passports are an expense and hassle that a lot of cruisers find very annoying.

It is interesting to know. That was one of the things that put me off the top end cruise, the fact I have no desire to visit Indonesian ports. I know that makes the duty free available etc, and people are then on a cruise going overseas, but to me, I would choose a cruise around the top end that was just Australian ports. I would like to see a few more stops, but I do realise that there are not a lot of stops available along that route. :)

Not going to an overseas port would make it a lot easier for a family if they don't need to get passports. Passports are an expense and hassle that a lot of cruisers find very annoying.

It could be argued that it is actually cheaper to make a call at an overseas port. If the cruise was all in Australian waters that would make it a local cruise rather than an International one and thus GST would be payable by all passengers.

When the Round Australia cruises started , they only called at Australian ports, but since they included Indonesia the prices have come down a lot. It also means that supplies purchased by the ship do not attract GST either , which also helps to keep the price down.

It could be argued that it is actually cheaper to make a call at an overseas port. If the cruise was all in Australian waters that would make it a local cruise rather than an International one and thus GST would be payable by all passengers.

When the Round Australia cruises started , they only called at Australian ports, but since they included Indonesia the prices have come down a lot. It also means that supplies purchased by the ship do not attract GST either , which also helps to keep the price down.

Good point David, :D

I know it appears to be expensive for kids (5 years only), but a Passport is such a small part of the cost of travel.

if you have a look in the sunday paper or some online sites they do have sectors that dont go to Indonesia but it involves flying or catching the train so it might not be much cheaper

if you have a look in the sunday paper or some online sites they do have sectors that dont go to Indonesia but it involves flying or catching the train so it might not be much cheaper

We are on Radiance at the moment SYD to Perth. It is cheaper for us to do the return trip Fremantle to Melbourne on the Volendam and then train to Sydney than it costs for a business class flight or Indian Pacific train (sleeper). And we can enjoy another 9 nights at sea!

i noticed this on the O online site

Ship Name: Diamond Princess

Cruise Code: M431NDRWSYD

Departure Date: Sunday, 9 November 2014

Cruise Name: Darwin to Sydney

Nights: 7

Departing: Darwin

inside prices from $803

Edited by rkmw

Well, you learn something all the time on here. I didn't know that!

For people that drive themselves to Sydney, and do an inside cabin to the South Pacific, and are doing a once in several years special trip, the cost of the passport relatively is annoying to them.

Sometimes there is also the cost of birth certificates, marriage certificates, and issues with names being wrong through parents' years ago not using correct spelling etc, or deciding to use a different surname because they think they can. You would be surprised what a hassle passports can be for some.

Generally though, I agree, it is a small part of all the travel costs. We are trying to use ours as much as we can to get the average cost per trip down :)

We did 4 Pacific cruises from 1978 to 1984 with 4 children in tow with

not a passport between us it was a cheap holiday for us as usually

the airfares were included and less than half price for the children

in fact we took the last daughter at 4 months and she was free.:D:D

We did 4 Pacific cruises from 1978 to 1984 with 4 children in tow with

not a passport between us it was a cheap holiday for us as usually

the airfares were included and less than half price for the children

in fact we took the last daughter at 4 months and she was free.:D:D

Goes to show times have changed and now security costs us all, either directly or indirectly.:D

Silly question, but does someone need a passport if they stay on the ship while it is in port.

Afraid so you can't board any ship unless you have a passport maybe if

you were doing a coastal it would be alright. Don't need one on the

Spirit of Tasmania!!:cool:

I don't need a passport for my next cruise, and in fact didn't need one for my first, both were to Tas, but it was easier with one.

Are you sure. Tassie's O/S isn't it. Though someone from America recently asked me weren't Aus and NZ one country and they were serious.

Believe it or not Spirit of Tasmania was what finally got the bride to agree to a cruise.

I don't need a passport for my next cruise, and in fact didn't need one for my first, both were to Tas, but it was easier with one.

Are you sure. Tassie's O/S isn't it. Though someone from America recently asked me weren't Aus and NZ one country and they were serious.

Believe it or not Spirit of Tasmania was what finally got the bride to agree to a cruise.

Yep, it is easier to check in with a passport, but if it doesn't leave Aus you can use a driver's licence apparently.

Now, we all know that Aus is just really the West Island of NZ :) When you are over in NZ it feels like another state of Australia. The nice friendly easy going state ;)

Yep, it is easier to check in with a passport, but if it doesn't leave Aus you can use a driver's licence apparently.

Now, we all know that Aus is just really the West Island of NZ :) When you are over in NZ it feels like another state of Australia. The nice friendly easy going state ;)

I thought that was Tas.

You do not require a passport for Aussie cruises that do not visit international ports, (Willis Island doesn't count as no-one disembarks), a form of ID with a photo like a licence will do.:D

You do not require a passport for Aussie cruises that do not visit international ports, (Willis Island doesn't count as no-one disembarks), a form of ID with a photo like a licence will do.:D

:2thumbsup:

I actually didn't have a passport at all for my first couple of cruises.