Extra chirs for your balcony

sawtooth

Can you request extra chairs or loungers for your balcony. We will be in L108 on the Royal and that cabin at the front of the ship has a very large balcony. We'd like to invite a couple of friends over for the sail aways and would like to have someplace for them to sit.

Don't count on getting any extra balcony furniture. We tried asking the steward and even went to Passenger Services with the request and were told there are no spares. We ended up taking the upholstered chair from inside the cabin out there every time we had "guests" so at least one extra person could sit down.

Princess has reduced the number of chairs on the larger balconies and so far as I know, no one has been able to get extras for maybe a couple of years. On one cruise, I brought my chair to someone else's balcony and that was the only way to do it. No extra chairs. You'll have two chairs and two footstools you can use and you can also bring the desk chair on the balcony although you can't leave it there.

You can ask but don't be surprised if the answer is, "No."

Princess has reduced the number of chairs on the larger balconies and so far as I know, no one has been able to get extras for maybe a couple of years. On one cruise, I brought my chair to someone else's balcony and that was the only way to do it. No extra chairs. You'll have two chairs and two footstools you can use and you can also bring the desk chair on the balcony although you can't leave it there.

You can ask but don't be surprised if the answer is, "No."

We always travel as a family of three in a Mini-Suite. The first thing I do when our steward greets us is ask him for a third chair for our balcony. Our cabin is marketed as one that will accommodate three people and we have three paying passengers in said cabin. Thus, all three people should be able to enjoy the benefits of the cabin they are paying for. We have never been denied our third chair.

We always travel as a family of three in a Mini-Suite. The first thing I do when our steward greets us is ask him for a third chair for our balcony. Our cabin is marketed as one that will accommodate three people and we have three paying passengers in said cabin. Thus, all three people should be able to enjoy the benefits of the cabin they are paying for. We have never been denied our third chair.

What you describe here is a whole different situation, and one would expect that your request would be fulfilled when the additional seating is for someone who is actually "living" in that cabin for the duration of the cruise.

The OP's situation is not the same, given that they want to provide short term seating for a temporary visitor.

You already have four chairs in your cabin. The two balcony chairs and the two chairs for the interior of your cabin, the vanity chair and another upholstered guest chair. All balcony cabins and mini suites have these four chairs. Why not just move the two interior chairs onto your balcony for guests? That will give you seating for four on your balcony. Just move them back inside when you are done. That is what we do.

Last Christmas we had an OS on the Royal and when we saw only two chairs around the balcony table I asked our steward for another chair since our son likes to spend time eating meals with us on the balcony. He came back a short time later and said he could not get one for us. I said we have had four chairs on every suite balcony we have booked. He said it is for safety reasons. WHAT!!!! We had a huge wrap around balcony. Later in the afternoon he came back with an odd chair (not a normal cabin desk chair) and said "don't tell anyone I gave it to you."

The only problem was that because of all the soot constantly falling, we never eat out there or even used the balcony.

We are wondering how many we will get on our cruise this holiday. I did read in the suite description that there are two chairs with the table. Sure we can pull out another chair from the cabin but talk about tacky looking balcony.

Another addition to list of perks and suite benefits that have been disappearing the last few years. There is a thread now about suites going on sale. We have never had one but it seems like more and more people are getting upsells for a fraction of what the going rate was. I almost think it is time say to screw it and book a mini and hope for an upsell like many other people do.

What you describe here is a whole different situation, and one would expect that your request would be fulfilled when the additional seating is for someone who is actually "living" in that cabin for the duration of the cruise.

The OP's situation is not the same, given that they want to provide short term seating for a temporary visitor.

I was responding to the statement that no one has been able to get more chairs for a couple of years. It doesn't matter that the situation is different. All situations add up to be "no one". And for what it's worth, half the time that I have made my request, I have been met with a "I don't think we can do that" and I persist. So at least some of the stewards do not view this situation as being "different". They need prodding.

You already have four chairs in your cabin. The two balcony chairs and the two chairs for the interior of your cabin, the vanity chair and another upholstered guest chair. All balcony cabins and mini suites have these four chairs. Why not just move the two interior chairs onto your balcony for guests? That will give you seating for four on your balcony. Just move them back inside when you are done. That is what we do.

Just try that on the tiny balconies that most balcony and suite cabins have on the Royal and Regal.

Just try that on the tiny balconies that most balcony and suite cabins have on the Royal and Regal.

Yes, I have heard about the small balconies on the Royal and the Regal, one of the least appealing features of these ships. It is a good warning for the OP that she may not be able to squeeze even one more chair much less two on these balconies.