Quantum of the Seas - Maiden Transatlantic Voyage - Nov 2-10, 2014 - Live Report

jv_nyc

If at all possible, could you get some photos of one of the Royal Family Suites? I know there are some on deck 9 and we have all looked everywhere for photos and so far no luck. I understand you are having difficulty getting the photos with the slow internet and will happily wait until you have a chance, even when you get back. For now, the RFS remains a mystery! Thanks so much!

Enjoy the Quantum...

Swiss

Morning, All.

Our trip past the Azores yesterday was an unexpected, beautiful view bonus. I hate that it came at the expense of another passenger, but the captain reported last night at the Crown & Anchor Welcome Back party that the gentleman had already gotten the surgery he needed, was in recovery and doing well.

We had dinner at Coastal Kitchen last night, which bills itself as a Mediterranean menu. While we have really enjoyed all the food onboard and have not had a bad meal yet, Coastal Kitchen was our absolute favorite so far. This makes me a bit sad in that we won't have the opportunity to dine there again as we are not traveling in a Suite. For those of you who will be able to dine there more often, I envy you!

Due to the lovely weather and the lovely view, the Northstar was flying yesterday. It was just going straight up and down for about 5-6 minute ride in an effort to get as many of us as possible to have the experience while we could since weather the rest of the trip could be a problem. There has been no way to sign up for it on this trip, we just queue up when we see it open. I waited almost exactly 2 hours but the view was beautiful and I quite enjoyed it. You have no real sensation of movement. It's quite smooth. The capsule has benches and a couple of chairs, but even with 14 people inside we had room to move around and take photos of the different vistas. I gave my photos to Joanna as we were hoping her laptop would be better for posting them than my ipad, but even near land we are still having very slow and spotty connection.

They have had to postpone and reschedule so many of the shows that we wound up being booked at both Starwater and Mama Mia at the same time last night and were forced to make a decision between them. Having already seen Mama Mia on stage on land, I opted for Starwater. It was very interesting and cool. The robot screens in Two70 were an integral part of the show and worked beautifully. I know all the tech guys had to be relieved! That's one show that I would like to see a second time if I get the chance this week. The only other show I've done that with is the aqua show on Oasis.

I will say in terms of seating for that show, I thought there were a few issues. We were there 25 minutes in advance with reservations and barely got a seat. In fact, we were a party of 5 and three of them left because they got fed up with the frantic seat search and having to run to grab open seats. We would not have been sitting together even if they'd stayed. The two of us who stayed were on the very top deck on barstools in the very back and I had a support pole that I kept having weave back and forth to see around. Someone on an earlier post asked about this, so I'd say that finding seats for shows in there is going to be a little rough as it's definitely not setup like the Royal Theater and has far fewer seats with a much higher interest factor.

I always hate reporting negative things as I feel like it sounds like complaining, so please don't take it in that light. But you will definitely want to go earlier than normal for those shows in order to get the seats you want. The good news is that it's a lovely place to hang out, so sitting and relaxing there before a show will not be a hardship.

Other cruisers we spoke to that went to the two earlier showings of Mama Mia said it was phenomenal. I do hate that we missed it but I am glad I got to see Starwater just in case the weather makes it such that it doesn't happen again this sailing.

For those of you interested in the flash mob, it went off with no problems. We even had two Dreamworks characters join us! It was great fun, we were all crying and Eve said yes! So that was a lovely moment. Greg worked so hard on getting that all planned and organized and I am happy for him that it all went so well.

For The Grande, we are dining there tonight so I can report on it and dress code enforcement later, but I do know that on the first night they let in a gentleman wearing shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. Another passenger who dined there saw it first hand and was unhappy about that. Maybe that would only be allowed on the first night due to luggage? I am not sure, but wanted to report that it had occurred.

It's not light enough outside yet for me to see what the weather will bring today, but I'm hoping to be able to do some top deck things like rock climbing and/or Flowrider. I am booked on the iFly tomorrow morning. I am also in the spa later today for a facial so I'll let you know about that tomorrow.

Have a good day everyone!

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi Tracy,

Thanks a million for the detailed report.

Just curious:

For the Star Water show, for those who cannot get a seat, can they still watch the show standing?

The Star Water show is a reserved seating show. So does RC issue you a ticket for that? How does RC ensure that only passengers who have reserved the seat occupy the seat since its an open area available for everyone.

Since Mamamia and Star Water shows are indoor, why are they cancelled / postponed due to bad weather?

I take it the booking systems are not working for this trip but will be for future cruises, 2 hours to queue for one of the attractions on board seems excessive to me.

You've got the bare in mind that's it's been closed since Sunday and those onboard will be worried that it may not be open again, so everyone is trying to get there turn.

Routes when it docks will be a lot less pressure as in port, unless you are in a hurricane, it will be operational

Re show reservations, your card or wow band is scanned as you enter. Yes Mamma Mia was an absolute joy - filled us all with energy and happiness!!! Barely anyone left during the bows and be aware you should stay til the very end because there are multiple repeats and additions of songs and new, fun costumes as the applause goes on. I have some menu photos to post now - hope you can zoom and read them. Also someone asked about restaurant seating. You line up at the desk at your appointed time and you are asked if you want a table for your party alone or with others. We usually get a table for two and some times we've needed to wait a few minutes, but not long at all. Many tables for two are just a few inches from others, but that is understandable. Last night at Grande the captain was having dinner with some Pinnacles. We thought the lobster bisque was very good. Service (for two) has been slower than what we're used to on other ships with traditional dining. 77b65dfe2ec4bfcb845d34eb7d0d7df9.jpgb0913600f80f75f9d2a94abe195bb1ad.jpg6d176bdb7fc2b073ca327e020cb7a666.jpgecde8136e4af10b85e37e06744acd530.jpg072754f576b743a1a9ab4c96766d51e8.jpg289c3bf63d9328c4cc99e5fa16feebef.jpg

Since Mamamia and Star Water shows are indoor, why are they cancelled / postponed due to bad weather?

Both shows have lots of moving parts, machinery and people in close proximity. Even though they are indoors, if the ship is rocking and rolling too much, the shows will be canceled for the safety of the performers and the audience.

The only problem with not doing copy/paste; when a question is answered, without the original question, the answer may not make any sense. You can only copy the question, leaving out the other stuff. It's not the people answering the questions that's doing it, anyway! You can easily do copy/paste pertinent information, not pictures, every time! Also, calling someone a "wanna be", wasn't very nice, as some REALLY don't know how to do this! If this were new to me & someone said that, I wouldn't post anymore.

Ginger:)

yes please do. This is a most confusing thread to read. Stop copying and posting entire threads.

For those who can't figure out how NOT to, find the reply button at the top and bottom of each thread, or learn how to edit when you do use QUOTE.

For those who can't figure out how NOT to, find the reply button at the top and bottom of each thread, or learn how to edit when you do use QUOTE.

I TOTALLY AGREE:

It's beyond me why some people have to copy 6 large photos to simply say "Thank you" or "Great photos".

Let those who report post the information.

If I want to quote someone in order to focus my reply, I (after quoting) erase all the parts that do not directly apply to my question or response.

BTW: This is a problem on a lot of threads, not just this one.

Now, the flamers will be tempted to now tell me that I'm taking up unnecessary space. HAHA. IF you do, you will be committing the same "sin" that I just did. HaHa!

Edited by beachnative

MENU CHANGES

Not a question for the Launchers, but a question for any RCCL "experts"...

So the menus on board differ from those on the web site. We made decisions based on the web site menus and I think my family might want to tweak if the on board menus are what will actually be operational for the coming months.

Does anyone have contact info at RCCL (email or otherwise) for someone who might actually know what's happening with the menus in the short term???

I'd like to know about the accessibility of 270 for those in a wheelchair or scooter. From the pictures that I've seen it looks like there are many staircases in the lower level but I did not see any ramps. Also, does the upper level connect to the lower level by ramp?

If someone has the time would you please count all the loose throw pillows on all the sofas and chairs on the ship? :rolleyes:

Thanks so much!

MENU CHANGES

Not a question for the Launchers, but a question for any RCCL "experts"...

So the menus on board differ from those on the web site. We made decisions based on the web site menus and I think my family might want to tweak if the on board menus are what will actually be operational for the coming months.

Does anyone have contact info at RCCL (email or otherwise) for someone who might actually know what's happening with the menus in the short term???

What difference does it make what will be on the menus? Just consider it a surprise and enjoy the anticipation to see what is there when you arrive at the restaurant.... Everyone knows that there will be GREAT entrees and enough variety to please almost everyone.

What difference does it make what will be on the menus? Just consider it a surprise and enjoy the anticipation to see what is there when you arrive at the restaurant.... Everyone knows that there will be GREAT entrees and enough variety to please almost everyone.

Of course it makes a difference. The whole point of DD is that you can choose where you want to eat :confused::confused:

There are too many nuisance posts on this thread.

As long as your quote starts with [ QUOTE=User;000000 ] without the space and ends in [ /QUOTE] without the space you can add or remove whatever you want in between

Edited by ocav

I'd like to know about the accessibility of 270 for those in a wheelchair or scooter. From the pictures that I've seen it looks like there are many staircases in the lower level but I did not see any ramps. Also, does the upper level connect to the lower level by ramp?

If someone has the time would you please count all the loose throw pillows on all the sofas and chairs on the ship? :rolleyes:

Thanks so much!

There are ramps along the sides but you can only get down a certain way. you can't get all the way down to floor level. also, there is an accessible elevator to get up to the upper level in Two70.

and just for you... 13,428.25. :eek::D

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by SkyKingBNA

Not true when I book more than a year ahead of time with my family and they like certain items on a menu and base our choice because of that on where to go !

:eek:

It's not me that I am worried about, but my mother.

My daughter (age 9), Grandpa, and I will ALL be fine, but my mother is allergic to seafood and she also has a relatively narrow taste palate. For example, in American Icon my guess is she would have loved the short rib, but she won't like the apparent replacement (flank steak). And in Chic, there now appears to be a chicken dish she would like (whereas she dismissed the Chic menu before, which had nothing she was interested in).

I want to make my mother happy, and if I can identify which menu version (onboard or online) is the "right" one, then I can increase the chances of my Mom being happy at dinner... And what child does not want to make her mother happy (if she can manage it)??

Edited by gumbocc1009
grammar edits