Breakfast in MDR and appropriate dress

timmy1958

We are sailing on the Splendor in February of 2015. On our two previous cruises, we never had breakfast in the MDR. Thought of trying it this time around since it will be our daughter's first cruise. I've always been a t-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes and baseball hat kind of guy for morning meals. Will this be allowed on the Splendor or will I/we need to be a little more dressed up?

We are sailing on the Splendor in February of 2015. On our two previous cruises, we never had breakfast in the MDR. Thought of trying it this time around since it will be our daughter's first cruise. I've always been a t-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes and baseball hat kind of guy for morning meals. Will this be allowed on the Splendor or will I/we need to be a little more dressed up?

You will be fine in that..I don't know if they will ask you to remove your hat or not..but that would be the only thing. Other than that you will be fine.

Breakfast is very casual. Most people wear what they are wearing for the rest of the day. T-shirt and shorts are perfectly acceptable.

T-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes are all fine for the Dining room in the morning, or even at lunch. Just not at dinner. I would take the baseball hat off though, IMHO.

Guess I'll have to comb my hair first thing in the morning, then.:p

Can't say definitively, but I think your hat is ok too.

I wear baseball hats every day, and don't ever remember being asked to take it off.

Just because no staff have come up to you and explicitly told you that wearing a hat in the dining room is commonly considered to be ill-mannered, that doesn't mean that it is "okay" and you should do it anyway.

I would recommend going to the sea day brunch. Here's a link to the menu. http://www.carnival.com/~/media/Images/explore/dining/menus/seaday-brunch-menu.ashx The small filet with eggs as well as the bacon mac n cheese are both very good. You get a nice pastry basket if you're seated before 1100 as well. The hours I believe are from 830-130. Also, the walk up cart outside the entrance makes a great bloody mary that you spice up to your hearts content with all kinds of options.

T-shirt, shorts, tennis shoes are all fine for the Dining room in the morning, or even at lunch. Just not at dinner. I would take the baseball hat off though, IMHO.

As long as the guys T-shirts have sleeves. Turned away with a shirt covering the shoulders but essentially no sleeves on one occasion.

You will be fine. You could get away with it for dinner on non-elegant nights as well. I don't recall seeing anyone in a hat in the MDR though. I know DH had his one night and took it off. They did not ask him, he did it before he got there.

Can't say definitively, but I think your hat is ok too.

I wear baseball hats every day, and don't ever remember being asked to take it off.

I was taught at a very early age at home and at school that a man should remove his hat when entering a building. It is a courtesy. Seeing a man sitting at a table having a meal with a hat on is not appropriate.

Just because no staff have come up to you and explicitly told you that wearing a hat in the dining room is commonly considered to be ill-mannered, that doesn't mean that it is "okay" and you should do it anyway.

I was taught at a very early age at home and at school that a man should remove his hat when entering a building. It is a courtesy. Seeing a man sitting at a table having a meal with a hat on is not appropriate.

I can certainly respect your opinion and upbringing, and acknowledge the long standing social mores you are referring to. I mean no disrespect by either my actions or words, but we are discussing a matter of opinion.

The question wasn't "Do you think I should wear a hat to breakfast" the question was about appropriate dress. I assumed by appropriate that he was asking about dress code, not personal codes of etiquette. There is no policy against wearing a hat to breakfast, and I have no reason to believe someone in a baseball hat would feel out of place wearing it. If he believed it was rude to wear a hat indoors at all, I assume he wouldn't have asked about it.

If it were Carnival policy I would have no issue abiding by the rule. If I were asked by either an employee or another passenger to remove my hat, I would do so without hesitation. It is not a statement for me to where the hat. It is more a matter of habit. As I said in my post, I don't know with 100% certainty I wore one, took it off while I ate, or was asked to take it off. I said, I routinely wear hats in the morning and don't ever remember being told to take it off.

I will tell you with 100% certainty I have seen young men in the MDR with baseball hats on. In fact I have seen several at dinner.

http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=wear

From Carnival FAQ's What to Wear

Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Lido Restaurant is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. However, shirts and shoes/footwear (flip-flops) must be worn at all times inside the Lido Restaurant.

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants.

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: cut-off jeans, men's sleeveless shirts, gym or basketball shorts, flip-flops and bathing suit attire.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: jeans, men's sleeveless shirts, shorts, t-shirts, sportswear, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

I don't think it is a coincidence that Baseball Hats are mentioned in one section and not the other, or that the policy specifies dinner. I think this means in Carnivals opinion it is "okay". So when you say it is not "okay", you mean in your opinion.

Now in regards to me....

I went to Catholic school and was taught things at home and in school as well. Somehow I don't think everyone on board should be made to say grace before their meal, nor stand up whenever a lady at their table stands to leave or arrives. So I am sorry, I won't draw the line at hat wearing.

In my family, we enjoy dressing up. For dinner we are suits and ties, and dresses. This is our preference. If you were to sit at my table in your bathing suit, it would not bother me in the least. We would talk and laugh and have a good time. My opinion makes it right for me, and me alone.

If when they write my obituary the worst thing they say about me is, He wore a hat to breakfast sometimes, I'm okay with that.

It is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I have no problem with you judging me by my actions, but I don't think the OP was asking an etiquette question.

You'll be fine for breakfast. They know people are getting ready to go on excursions and so on. FWIW, we started doing breakfasts in the MDR a couple of years ago. Now, unless I have an excursion to get to quickly, we do only MDR for breakfast. I find the food better and hotter plus I like the idea of being served.

Breakfast is available in one of the MDRs every day but the sea days. Brunch is served on sea days.

This was my experience on the Valor & Conquest; other ships may vary.

Any ship I've ever been on you could get breakfast in the MDR every day.

I believe it has a lot more to do with who is running the MDR, but DH and I decided at the last minute to run to the MDR for bfast. We both had on baseball hats and were both told they would need to be removed. No problem for DH, but I would have never have subjected others to my hat hair! It was completely unintentional on our part and I was happy to see that they were enforcing the dress code. We just went to the Lido. This was last year in Alaska on the Miracle.

Men should not wear hats inside....that's just common courtesy and good manners.

But, breakfast and lunch are ultra-casual in the dining room...shorts/tees/flip-flops are fine.

Wearing hats indoors is acceptable to many cultures worldwide.

Wearing hats indoors is acceptable to many cultures worldwide.

I never understood what's wrong with wearing hats indoors. Don't all those British royals keep their hats on when dining?

The only place I can see why it's wrong is in the theatre...where it could block someone's view.

Personally...I don't wear hats .....but if someone had one on in the MDR ...well, I'd rather see a hat than a bald head or bad hair.

I never understood what's wrong with wearing hats indoors. Don't all those British royals keep their hats on when dining?

The only place I can see why it's wrong is in the theatre...where it could block someone's view.

Personally...I don't wear hats .....but if someone had one on in the MDR ...well, I'd rather see a hat than a bald head or bad hair.

The ladies...yes. However I guarantee that they have not been worn for days on end catching everything and are usually worn front facing. :rolleyes:

I would rather see a clean pate than a sweaty baseball cap.

Was on the Splendor last week and saw hats worn for all meals in MDR. Even elegant night. It wasn't even limited to younger men either. Saw men well into their 70s, possibly older wearing baseball caps at dinner.

Edited by 092306