Large angry crowds on the Breeze

xSpec

Too bad this ship in not a Naval Vessel. If so the word "MUTINY" comes to mind.

Problem: This ship has no yard arms and the brig is too small!

Solution: Captain should forgo the remaining ports. Sail around The Horn!

Make for Pitcairn Island. You know the rest!!!!

I think if the statement had mentioned "Ebola," the media may have blown it further out of proportion and some would have believed it as Carnival confirming a positive case of Ebola. With this in mind, the verbiage stated it was for missing a port. If you sign an affidavit, is anything you say that contradicts or goes against what is said under oath or in a written statement valid?

But it's tied together. They missed a port BECAUSE of a medical emergency.

Again, they need to READ the contract they agreed to. I have missed ports and never expected any more than the port fees/taxs to be refunded. And I am FAR from a rational person. :eek:

Slight difference from the Magic situation.....

Makes me despair for humanity when the response to a medical emergency is a riot.

I've missed ports, was I disappointed, sure [once very] did I think was entitled to a refund I didn't even expect a refund on port fees to be honest.

Whit any form of transport .... happens. Live with it and this was a MEDICAL emergency, if the cruise line had just decided no, we won't bother, it might be different.

was just sent an email from my sister who is on her honeymoon on the Breeze. There is a large crowd in front of guest service screaming and chanting "refund" due to not being allowed to disembark at grand cayman and docking at the international port at Cozumel. Their itinerary was changed the first sea day due to a medical emergency, then docked at 1am at grand cayman due to a crew remember emergency. Guest services is refusing to offer compensation to anyone, which is what led to the large crowd forming.

Glad to hear Guest Services is sticking by the contract. Hopefully the crowd will angry enough that they can lesson the passenger load and make the cruise more pleasant for everyone else.

Too bad this ship in not a Naval Vessel. If so the word "MUTINY" comes to mind.

Problem: This ship has no yard arms and the brig is too small!

Solution: Captain should forgo the remaining ports. Sail around The Horn!

Make for Pitcairn Island. You know the rest!!!!

Yes, but the ocean is HUGE! Time to lower the plank! :)

This was posted on the other Breeze thread:

I'm on vacation in Grand Cayman and saw the two Carnival ships leave this morning around 8:30. It has been sunny all day today, but the waters were a little rough. I saw no motorized water activities today but did see one guy on a paddle board. We were in the water and it was similar to the waves in NC or SC. There are usually no waves at Seven Mile Beach so the water was very different today. I hate the cruisers didn't get to come ashore, but understand the precautions.

So it was about weather, not a med emergency, can't compare it to Magic. NO REFUND. END OF STORY!

This was posted on the other Breeze thread:

I'm on vacation in Grand Cayman and saw the two Carnival ships leave this morning around 8:30. It has been sunny all day today, but the waters were a little rough. I saw no motorized water activities today but did see one guy on a paddle board. We were in the water and it was similar to the waves in NC or SC. There are usually no waves at Seven Mile Beach so the water was very different today. I hate the cruisers didn't get to come ashore, but understand the precautions.

So it was about weather, not a med emergency, can't compare it to Magic. NO REFUND. END OF STORY!

I never said they left Grand Cayman because of a medical emergency? Lol I said they arrived there at 1am because of one. But the fact that passengers woke up to grand cayman then were told they were leaving due to weather conditions(completely understandable) pissed off a lot of people on top of what had already happened.

TL;DR go to my original post lol

was just sent an email from my sister who is on her honeymoon on the Breeze. There is a large crowd in front of guest service screaming and chanting "refund" due to not being allowed to disembark at grand cayman and docking at the international port at Cozumel. Their itinerary was changed the first sea day due to a medical emergency, then docked at 1am at grand cayman due to a crew remember emergency. Guest services is refusing to offer compensation to anyone, which is what led to the large crowd forming.

I guess those angry passengers need to read the fine print where Carnival states that the itinerary can change for any reason. They won't get jack that's for sure.

I seem to recall Carnival disembarking and banning ring leaders of such disruptions.

There's a youtube video of a riot on a Carnival ship because they missed the port. The captain came down to speak to the people but they wouldn't have any of him. He basically told them to go pound salt. IIRC the ring leader was a lawyer.

Wasn't Magic refused docking at Cozumel due to the medical situation on board? Even if they weren't refused, and they just skipped it because of the possibility of Ebola on board, if these people can't see the difference between Magic's situation and theirs, there's no winning in arguing with them.

Unbelievable!

I m never on board when they dish out rebates

I'm jealous

Also if they keep on giving rebate in afraid they will raise future rates

Unbelievable

Who got a "rebate" other than the passenger on the Magic?

Edited by irishnyc

A large angry mob on a ship at sea seems scary to me. I think I'd want off the ship if there was a mob like the one in the video. I'd have to exercise my Great Vacation Guarantee.

To quote Agent Kay from MIB:

Kay: A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

I've missed many a port - sometimes more disappointed than others.

GC due to expected after noon weather when they wouldn't be able to safely tender back to the ship - Kona due to high seas - CZM due to weather.

most disappointed leaving HI and had to return to port for med evac - then missed sailing by volcano / lava rubbing into the sea. Bummer.

Only time I got angry / frustrated was with RCL as they kept the port charges thay had charged us for the ports we missed - no response to snail main or emails - nothing.

To me that was wrong - they collected the port charges from us - then no refund for missed port.

Happened twice in a row - haven't sailed their line since.

I think just about everybody on this thread is missing the point.

Last week the Magic missed the port of Cozumel due to a medical emergency. As a result, all passengers were given a $200 OBC, a 50% discount on a future cruise and a refund of their port fees.

This week the Breeze misses a port due to a medical emergency and the passengers are given nothing but a refund of the port fees (as required by law).

People know that ports can be missed. However, people also expect fair treatment. Carnival set the precedent of giving large awards for missing ports. Now people just want to be threated the same as others.

How does Carnival decide which passengers to compensate and which not to compensate for a missed port. Another example of Carnival's uneven application of it's own company policies.

And for those who have forgotten, there was no Ebola on the Magic.

The Magic was not allowed to dock by the Mexican Authorities, a completely different situation.

I am sure someone will correct me IF I am wrong but although the Magic delay in some part was due to a medical emergency it was also going slow due to some engineering problem THAT is why they got the 50% refund

Weather and medical emergencies are just bad luck (particularly for the patients) the cruise line is not obliged to compensate

Edited by windsor26

Unbelievable!

I m never on board when they dish out rebates

I'm jealous

Also if they keep on giving rebate in afraid they will raise future rates

Unbelievable

The Magic cruisers that were given refunds got them because authorities in Mexico would not allow the ship to dock due to the presence of a single passenger. It was a very extraordinary circumstances.

Bad weather just happens, I don't get (or expect) a refund at a beach resort for rainy days, why would I expect one for bad weather at sea.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

That would be scary to watch. It's not even rational to think GS would or could give a refund of any sort, it's not up to them.

I'd be quite upset missing not one, but 2 ports. I'm not a sea day lover like some. We missed Roatan once and I was soooo disappointed as that port was why I booked that itinerary. But common sense tells you there would be no refund of anything from GS.