Definitive answer on Island Princess IC

trvllin1

Has there been a final decision made in regard to adding the International Cafe to the Island during her refit next year? I have read contradictory posts about this.

My husband and I are booked to cruise next June with 2 other couples on the Grand Mediterranean itinerary. We really want to do this itinerary, but I am incensed that Princess thinks it's OK to add cabins for 240+ more guests with no additional dining venues, while taking away the Universe Lounge and it's unique theater presentation, taking away Skywalkers lounge, taking away the 360 promenade and other outdoor viewing areas, and turning the fitness center into a crowded, stuffy windowless enclosed area - all without offering passengers anything positive in return! I would expect at the least a SUBSTANTIAL discount on the cabins we already have booked, (which certainly hasn't been offered!) In my opinion, this refit absolutely diminishes the overall cruise experience and makes me feel very much that Princess considers us ignorant idiots who will simply tolerate all these takeaways with no incentive. If you can't make it better, leave it alone!

We sailed on the Island this summer, and found it in need of some refurbishment yes, but this makeover is entirely to the benefit of the cruise line, not the passengers. The biggest concern we had was the long wait times for dining. I suppose they plan to crowd more, larger tables into the existing dining space making that a less pleasant experience as well.

We are Elite with Princess so have sailed enough with them to appreciate positive changes - but not this. We have sailed with HAL, Disney, Celebrity and RCC and this is enough to send us back to the drawing board for next summer's adventure. We enjoy the Elite amenities, but they in no way make up for treating us like just so many sheeple.

Lin

(Princess apologists, flame away if you must; I am noted for speaking my mind and would appreciate open and honest opinions from others about these negative changes.)

Pretty hard to say anything when we don't have all the details of what they will do or how they plan to deal with the extra pax. It's a bit harsh to be calling for discounts when an IC may well go in.

Edited by GUT2407

Has there been a final decision made in regard to adding the International Cafe to the Island during her refit next year? I have read contradictory posts about this.

My husband and I are booked to cruise next June with 2 other couples on the Grand Mediterranean itinerary. We really want to do this itinerary, but I am incensed that Princess thinks it's OK to add cabins for 240+ more guests with no additional dining venues, while taking away the Universe Lounge and it's unique theater presentation, taking away Skywalkers lounge, taking away the 360 promenade and other outdoor viewing areas, and turning the fitness center into a crowded, stuffy windowless enclosed area - all without offering passengers anything positive in return!

Island/Coral never have had a Skywalkers.

First of all, this itinerary is very popular, which is why I doubt that you'll see any "discounts."

Second, you don't know what the makeover will be like, so there is no way to tell if it will impact you positively, negatively or not at all. Why get so upset over something that hasn't happened yet?

Third, you do have other choices...

Thanks for your input Nina...but from what Princess has published, the extra cabins and all the other changes I mention, with the exception of the wavering on the IC, are done deals, not speculation. There is no way that more people in less space cannot be considered negative. I also mention that we ARE considering making a different choice of cruise line, due specifically to these issues.

And, I think you're absolutely correct about the popularity of this itinerary, but in our case we paid deposits for the staterooms we wanted, based on Princess' original news release (with IC and Crown Grill included, and of course not mentioning the scope of the negative changes they planned.) I'm glad our final isn't due until April next year, but even so, the changes won't have been made then so we will still be buying an unknown.

Lin

Thanks for your input Nina...but from what Princess has published, the extra cabins and all the other changes I mention, with the exception of the wavering on the IC, are done deals, not speculation. There is no way that more people in less space cannot be considered negative. I also mention that we ARE considering making a different choice of cruise line, due specifically to these issues.

And, I think you're absolutely correct about the popularity of this itinerary, but in our case we paid deposits for the staterooms we wanted, based on Princess' original news release (with IC and Crown Grill included, and of course not mentioning the scope of the negative changes they planned.) I'm glad our final isn't due until April next year, but even so, the changes won't have been made then so we will still be buying an unknown.

Lin

I understand how you feel. Why not post this on Princess' Facebook page? I know they monitor it....

.............................. but this makeover is entirely to the benefit of the cruise line, not the passengers...................

Trust me, no Princess apologist here, however, I think that these changes speak more to the state of the economy and not what the company thinks of its customers. Everyone is trying to get more for less so something has to give. A company can't stay in business if everyone wants that company to charge less and give the same or better service, value or whatever (doesn't matter if some don't feel this way, the majority apparently do). Unfortunately it would appear that the perception of getting more for less is going to win out over actually getting more for less.

Just my humble opinion. BTW, I don't like it any more than you do. :(

One last thing. Charging less for more in this economic environment can also mean not charging more and apparently getting the same even though it is actually less (have you checked out the products in the supermarkets, Costco, etc lately. Smaller packages for the same price.). Just the appearance of value makes it work for the majority.

Edited by ar1950

I would expect at the least a SUBSTANTIAL discount on the cabins we already have booked, (which certainly hasn't been offered!) In my opinion, this refit absolutely diminishes the overall cruise experience and makes me feel very much that Princess considers us ignorant idiots who will simply tolerate all these takeaways with no incentive.

Think about what you are suggesting here. If Princess offered everyone a substantial discount, that would be a clear admission on its part that it was ruining the ship and lessening the product. You (and many here) may feel that way, but what corporation would ever make such a concession? From a marketing standpoint, changes always have to be sold to the public as "new and improved". Never as "this is a bad idea and we know it." Ultimately, consumers will vote with their wallets and since Princess usually has more than one ship at a time sailing similar itineraries, people will be able to choose the build that they prefer. If cabins on Island don't sell, that will be reflected in the price and noted for future dry dock decisions. Just like Royal. Princess didn't market the ship by apologizing about tiny balconies, no center staircase, poor center elevator operation, no aft pool and no Promenade. The ship is marketed positively because of its other new and innovative features. But in the end, Princess is not able to draw a premium in fare for that ship as compared to the other ships that share the same itinerary. So while you will never get an apologetic refund for your cruise, you may get re-fared if they lower the price

Or you may see lower fares on future cruises if the public does not warm to the changes.

We sailed on the Island this summer, and found it in need of some refurbishment yes, but this makeover is entirely to the benefit of the cruise line, not the passengers. The biggest concern we had was the long wait times for dining.

QUOTE]

We sailed on the Island last month and also found her to be "worn and tired". Definitely in need of a makeover. As for the IC, I can't imagine that Princess would not add that venue to the ship as popular as it is among passengers. And if the Crown Grill is not added, will the Bayou Café remain? I hope not. We dined at the Bayou one night and although the meat was very good quality, it ended there. Even the dessert was pitiful. I was hoping for a big improvement after the dry dock and will withhold judgment until we see the results.

On a positive note, the staff on the Island were wonderful and it was very obvious that they all love their ship so the Captain and his crew are clearly doing something right!

I would expect at the least a SUBSTANTIAL discount on the cabins we already have booked, (which certainly hasn't been offered!)

We sailed on the Island this summer, and found it in need of some refurbishment yes, but this makeover is entirely to the benefit of the cruise line.

You arent within final payment date yet so if others dont like the improvements cruise prices will likely drop in order to fill the ship and you will be able to benefit from this.

Anyone who uses the sharehoder Benefit should appreciate the attempt to earn more revenue per cruise from the additional cabins as well. If CCL shares had kept pace with RCL shares the last four years, CCL would be at about $78 now.

Terry

My husband and I are booked to cruise next June with 2 other couples on the Grand Mediterranean itinerary. We really want to do this itinerary, but I am incensed that Princess thinks it's OK to add cabins for 240+ more guests with no additional dining venues, while taking away the Universe Lounge and it's unique theater presentation, taking away Skywalkers lounge, taking away the 360 promenade and other outdoor viewing areas, and turning the fitness center into a crowded, stuffy windowless enclosed area - all without offering passengers anything positive in return! I would expect at the least a SUBSTANTIAL discount on the cabins we already have booked, (which certainly hasn't been offered!) In my opinion, this refit absolutely diminishes the overall cruise experience and makes me feel very much that Princess considers us ignorant idiots who will simply tolerate all these takeaways with no incentive. If you can't make it better, leave it alone!

We sailed on the Island this summer, and found it in need of some refurbishment yes, but this makeover is entirely to the benefit of the cruise line, not the passengers. The biggest concern we had was the long wait times for dining. I suppose they plan to crowd more, larger tables into the existing dining space making that a less pleasant experience as well.

We are Elite with Princess so have sailed enough with them to appreciate positive changes - but not this. We have sailed with HAL, Disney, Celebrity and RCC and this is enough to send us back to the drawing board for next summer's adventure. We enjoy the Elite amenities, but they in no way make up for treating us like just so many sheeple.

Lin

(Princess apologists, flame away if you must; I am noted for speaking my mind and would appreciate open and honest opinions from others about these negative changes.)

I was on the Island on the September 27th cruise through the Panamal Canal. The CD was at both of our M & G and mentioned about the IC being added. So I assume that he would have the latest information.

Tom:)

I agree with the OPs disappointment with the changes in the Island. We sailed her through the Panama Canal. Did miss the IC but overall loved the feel of the ship. I had mentioned on another post about the Island that perhaps we would now choose the Coral over the Island if the itineraries were the same.

I Just got off the Island last Thursday and thoroughly enjoyed the ship. I looked at the plans of the new refit and unless the itinerary was something that I really wanted to do I would not book it after the refit. We used the Gym almost every day and enjoyed looking out at the sea while exercising, we enjoyed the Universal lounge and we greatly missed the IC as I think that is one of the best features that Princess ever rolled out fleet wide. If they do not put in an IC to offset the other negative changes that will be a big mistake for them.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful comments and useful information in answer to my original post. Your views, both in agreement and those not necessarily so, are of great interest to me in determining what we will do next.

Nina suggested posting to the Princess Facebook page, which I, in fact, did. I received several additional comments, PLUS the following

Response from Princess:

Hi Lin, we have not announced what enhancements will be made to Island Princess for her refurbishment in the spring. We value and appreciate your continued loyalty and look forward to seeing you in 2015.

Like · Reply · 8 hrs

Now I am even more confused. Are the deck plans shown on the Princesscruises.com website not to be believed? That would certainly negate my concerns - for the moment - but it doesn't make sense to me.

My response to Princess on Facebook

With the exception of my incorrect statement about Skywalkers (my fault, I had just been on the Golden as well as the Island within a few days of each other and confused that venue) I made my (partial) listing of changes to the Island Princess from the DECK PLANS that are available for one and all to see on the PrincessCruises.com Website. When pulling these pre-May and Post-May diagrams, these AND OTHER changes are readily evident. I feel that posting those changes on your website constituted an "ANNOUNCEMENT" - otherwise, why are they there? Are you saying the diagrams are premature and incorrect? As to those changes being "enhancements," I guess I'll need to have the passenger benefit part explained to me.

Now I'll wait to see if I receive any more specific info from them.

This is just a thought.... Maybe they have a concrete plan for cabins so that people can book, but they haven't listed the permanent changes to the other parts of the ship that aren't affected by the cabin changes. That sounds like a big possibility. I seem to recall that another ship had a big remodel (Sapphire?) and there was a plan to add a steakhouse to part of one of the MDR's. Well, it never actually happened when it came down to the actual refit. Maybe they just don't know all the details for the non-cabin areas yet. Also, when the Royal was being built there were changes to cabin space from the original diagram to what was actually built. I love the Island/Coral and am not all that thrilled with the changes, but I do believe that Princess is probably working on plans to update other areas. I could be wrong, but I guess we just have to wait.

This is just a thought.... Maybe they have a concrete plan for cabins so that people can book, but they haven't listed the permanent changes to the other parts of the ship that aren't affected by the cabin changes. That sounds like a big possibility. I seem to recall that another ship had a big remodel (Sapphire?) and there was a plan to add a steakhouse to part of one of the MDR's. Well, it never actually happened when it came down to the actual refit. Maybe they just don't know all the details for the non-cabin areas yet. Also, when the Royal was being built there were changes to cabin space from the original diagram to what was actually built. I love the Island/Coral and am not all that thrilled with the changes, but I do believe that Princess is probably working on plans to update other areas. I could be wrong, but I guess we just have to wait.

I guess that's possible, but:f so why post the plan on their site

2. Where would they put it, unless they reduce another public area

3. Surely they have a plan to work from

I'm not enthused about the changes to the Island, but they wouldn't stop me from booking the Grand Med on her. The Grand class ships can no longer sail onto Venice because they are too big for the new regulations. Adding more cabins including a number of suites allows Princess to make up some of the money they will lose on this popular itinerary. The Grand Med itinerary is so port intensive that you have little time on the ship.

The current plans don't show the Bayou Cafe turned into a Crown Grill and they don't show and IC on Plaza deck, both changed that had been reported in the past. Post major drydock plans for the Sapphire were included in the Cruise Atlas before the drydock and a number of changes shown were not made. We will need to wait and see what the final product looks like.

Although the Universe Lounge has an interesting three part stage and had had some unique shows over the years there are real problems with sight lines or should I say "no sight lines", especially in the upper level. If it goes then there is one less entertainment venue and don't know what impact that will have, but not positive.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app