Exercise

We are on Allure of the Seas in December...So I'm a big fan of exercise DVD's- things like P90X or Insanity. Is there an exercise area that has a TV with DVD player where something like this would be possible? I'm guessing not?

What do the vast majority of people do for exercise? Are there group classes? Boot camp like stuff?

I know there's a track....I'm just not much of a runner...

Thanks

Have you ever been on a ship before?

Probably less than 5% of the people have ever seen a gym.

However, most ships have enough equipment/machines.

And you should be able to find plenty of things to work out with.

All the classes are $$

All the classes are $$

$$ classes - they sound interesting !

There are TONS of weights and weight machines and cardio machines. There is generally an "open" area (they use it for classes and spin) where you can do your own thing, provided there isn't a class. I am a runner so I try to run 2-3 times during the cruise (and love Oasis/Allure for a "real" track/length to run on) and do weights the other 2-3 days. So if you can remember the majority of your stuff w/out the DVD, you can set up an area to do your own routine. Maybe write down the things you want to do on a notecard and get your weights and area ready, then just do it. Or pipe just the audio portion in via headphones and you can "follow" along by audio?

Hubby is a gym rat - he always finds sufficient equipment in the gym. I'm more of a elliptical / thread mill / stair master type - always enough machines to keep me occupied for a good hour or so daily. Concur about the stairs - unless I am in my dress heels (formal night), we always wind up taking the stairs. Each of the landings have artwork on the walls that captures your attention which makes the climbing more pleasant (well, most of the time). The outdoor running / walking track is good, but sometimes it is like a wind tunnel and if the seas are rough there may be water on the track (they are EXTREMELY good about having crew constantly removing any water).

We are on Allure of the Seas in December...So I'm a big fan of exercise DVD's- things like P90X or Insanity. Is there an exercise area that has a TV with DVD player where something like this would be possible? I'm guessing not?

What do the vast majority of people do for exercise? Are there group classes? Boot camp like stuff?

I know there's a track....I'm just not much of a runner...

Thanks

The Allure gym is very nice and has plenty of equipment. I found space even away from the open area that they use for the classes, to do my own personal weight workout, which I have not been able to find on other ships.

Bring your own music that you can exercise with and you will be just fine. The classes are not usually too expensive, but may not fit into your time frame....and they never seemed to be of much interest to me, but then again the classes in my gym at home don't interest me either.

All the classes are $$

Not sure if the "5%" statistic is correct, but it does seem that if you go to the gym to use a treadmill, there is always people using them dressed in street clothes, street shoes, and walking at a brisk "level 1." :)

We have walked all the stairs, and running track daily on the Allure.

We avoided the elevators except for formal night (4 inch heels).

Our cabin was on deck 17, so we did a lot of walking.

Visited the gym, but, we just looked around.

Maybe, just maybe will try it out on the Oasis next August.

Sea Ya

So to answer the original question:

The Allure gym has a decent sized studio area where you can do P90X kind of stuff. You'd have to bring your own portable DVD player. The space is available when classes aren't in session.

Allure has a small range of classes (yoga, spinning) which will cost around $15 each. There is a boot camp class. IIRC, there are 3-4 sessions at $30 bucks a pop I think. The quality of the classes depend on the instructor.

Not sure if the "5%" statistic is correct, but it does seem that if you go to the gym to use a treadmill, there is always people using them dressed in street clothes, street shoes, and walking at a brisk "level 1." :)

I like to exaggerate just a little.

But I have noticed that many in the gym are usually crew members...

Hello -

I am similar to the OP and have been training for 5+ years using the DVDs noted. The cruise is a perfect time to "mix it up" a bit (as Tony says). The majority of the classes may not suit someone that is already in really good shape - IMO.

It's irrelevant, but I agree with the 5% estimate. That would be 300+ people a day in the gym. I didn't see that many people working out when I sailed Allure and Oasis. Which is great since it is not crowded.

There is plenty of machine, free weight, and cardio options that you should take advantage of. You can warm up with a quick jog around the track and stop at the gym - they are connected at the front of the ship!!

The bottom line - enjoy your vacation!!!

No,there are a lot of people in the gym.Granted the people in the gym are the overall minority but that is the same way on land.Thats why americans are getting fatter and fatter.Poor diet and no exercise but thats an entirely different subject.Usually gym is packed tight in morning time and thins out after that.For that reason I always run on the track.The track on the allure and oasis is great.Its on a deck all by itself so you don't have to compete with people sunning right in the middle of the track.I don't take any of the classes.I am on vacation and try to actually vacation but I still like to get a quick five mile run in and call it a day.If I don't exercise I feel lazy and can't go on with my day.If I were to stop exercising on vacation it would become easier to continue not exercising on land.

Edited by rtazz17

The crew has their own gym.

They do.

But I believe they let the dancers & skaters use the public gym.

They won't work out with the rest of the crew.

At least I see them there all the time.

Edited by matj2000

Six cruises and I've never seen a DVD/Tv combo in any of the fitness centers. An option would be a portable DVD player. Most classes have a charge, but I have taken part in a few free yoga and ab classes. I haven't seen any boot camp style classes listed. I'm a gym rat so when I cruise I know I'm going to have to do some modifications. You will find some good equipment, just don't look for 100 lbs dumbbells or a squat rack. One thing I've noticed on my 6 cruises... There's always a few people who decide to work out for the first time in their entire lives while on vacation. Fun to watch the creative things they can do with dumbbells.

They do.

But I believe they let the dancers & skaters use the public gym.

They won't work out with the rest of the crew.

At least I see them there all the time.

Dancers and skaters and a few of the crew do indeed use the passenger gym. Also there are a few "free" classes each morning...K.O....:)

After reading multiple posts on multiple threads, I'd say you very much enjoy opining and exagerating:).

Ships have separate crew gyms. So, your stewards and waiters and cooks and such are, in all likely, using their own gym, not the guest gym. OTOH, staff (entertainers and such wearing their name tags) and officiers are regularly seen in the gym with guests. One also sees them dining in guest venues. I suspect such perks and distinctions are important on ships.

The percentage one sees might depend upon when one frequents the gym. Staff and officiers tend to be highly considerate people who are careful in their interactions with guests. I would not expect at a busy passenger time (ex 7-8 am) to see the singers and dancers to go to the fitness center all at once monopolize multiple piece of equipments with passengers waiting. Maybe a few, but not large % at a busy time.

I love the tracks on the Allure and Oasis. It is like being away from the main population of the ship. Once in awhile kids might be on it with their parents.

I wish they wouldn't allow them at all. Kids under 13. It can be dangerous if the parents don't keep track of them . It doesn't happen often. Once in awhile you will get an adult who has never walked a track in their life. Not staying on the side they should be on. But 90% of the time it is great.

I am worried about the new ship will have people in the way all the time being that it is on the top deck mixed in with the general population. And no real protection from the sun either . I like the indoor feeling with the Allure and Oasis but still had the breeze and the ocean to look at.

I used the track every day. So will let you know if I am thrilled with the layout

of the Quantum in Jan.2015

All the classes are $$

Wow biggest lol today with your response. I literally have tears!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I too like the exercise DVDs; however, take the cruise week (or 2) to change it up a bit. Our first cruise (1995) DH was marathon training & we stopped in fitness center as our first stop. Asked what was best exercise to do (as the ship definitely didn't have a decent track), we were told use the stairs all the time & weight train twice during the week. So we did. I lost 6 lbs & DH had a PR in his marathon. We've done it ever since, unfortunately I found the 6 lbs...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk