Would you get trip insurance when booking a pretty last minute cruise?

I just booked a cruise that is 5 weeks out. Would you get travel insurance at this point? I know gambling with insurance may sound crazy & anything could happen. We have gone on many cruises without insurance. However, we got it last time & I felt better about it. We booked far in advance though. It seems more expensive since it's so close to the cruise date this time.

I just booked a cruise that is 5 weeks out. Would you get travel insurance at this point? I know gambling with insurance may sound crazy & anything could happen. We have gone on many cruises without insurance. However, we got it last time & I felt better about it. We booked far in advance though. It seems more expensive since it's so close to the cruise date this time.

I won't pass the cancellation date without it, anything can go wrong.

I booked a last minute cruise too and considered not getting insurance but then reconsidered because of the medical insurance and evacuation you might need in case of a medical emergency. It wasn't a risk I felt comfortable taking. It hadn't been 10 days since I had booked so any pre-existing conditions are covered. I now have peace of mind and will undoubtably enjoy my cruise better:-). Of course, if you are financially well off then perhaps you can pay your own medical costs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I won't board a ship without insurance, and it has little to do with the cost of my fare.

I will not leave the country without emergency medical insurance.

I'm not telling anyone how to parent or run their family, but I believe it is a parents responsibility to protect the entire family from unforeseen and unfortunate financial hardship due to medical / accidents.

Does booking close to departure reduce the chances of something happening during the cruise? :confused: Respectfully, I don't understand your logic.

Some insurance policies are cheaper than the cost of a few drinks, and you can buy them all the way until the day before departure. I think that we paid something like $28 for our last cruise. Peace of mind to have a policy that covered medical expenses, evacuation, lost luggage, and transportation home in case something happened to a loved one (and since we left the kids home, it was well worth it).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

Does booking close to departure reduce the chances of something happening during the cruise? :confused: Respectfully, I don't understand your logic.

Some insurance policies are cheaper than the cost of a few drinks, and you can buy them all the way until the day before departure. I think that we paid something like $28 for our last cruise. Peace of mind to have a policy that covered medical expenses, evacuation, lost luggage, and transportation home in case something happened to a loved one (and since we left the kids home, it was well worth it).

My main reason for getting insurance would be if for some reason we couldn't go. My family will be with me. I really didn't think about getting it for medical reasons while on the trip. I will probably go ahead just to have peace of mind. I did check with Travel Guard. Do you know any other insurance providers with better rates?

12 years ago, when I first started cruising, I booked a cheap cruise for myself and my adult DD. It was less than $500 for both of us. I booked it 4 weeks before we sailed. I knew nothing about trip insurance. To make a long story short. My DD got sick the 3rd night and ended up spending the last 2 nights of the cruise in the ship's infirmary. The doctor talked about possibly evacuating her by air but luckily decided not to do this. It ended up costing us about $1,200 in medical bills before we got off the ship, but it could have cost much more. I always use travel insurance now. I now have health issues so I always buy it as soon as I book a cruise so it'll cover pre existing conditions. (Carnival insurance doesn't cover pre existing conditions so I get mine from other source ).

My main reason for getting insurance would be if for some reason we couldn't go. My family will be with me. I really didn't think about getting it for medical reasons while on the trip. I will probably go ahead just to have peace of mind. I did check with Travel Guard. Do you know any other insurance providers with better rates?

I use the Insure My Trip site. I have purchased Travel Guard before and actually used them when I had to cancel our cruise for work reasons just a few days before departure. I was very satisfied with the way that the claim was handled. We received a 100% refund.

I don't always buy the same policy because what I want covered may be different from one cruise to another. For example, when my wife was pregnant with our second child, I made sure that our policy covered pregnancy complications, before and during the cruise. Last year, when we sailed to Alaska and flew to Seattle with 4 suitcases filled with more than just t-shirts and bathing suits, I purchased a policy that had a good lost luggage policy (and thank goodness. The airline did loose one of our bags on our way to the cruise!)

Pull up the different policies, read the fine print, compare them and make sure that what you want covered is indeed covered. Not all policies are alike.

Buy the insurance.

It doesn't matter how close to the cruise you booked it; emergencies happen at the last minute.

We booked a cruise 6 weeks out and debated about the insurance which we did purchase.

Six days before the cruise my husband was in the ER and in the hospital for several days. We did make the cruise, but the knowledge that we had the insurance lessen the stress of the experience.

It is a necessary thing for travel. We sailed 10/12 an we lost one of our shipmates. So anything can happen. Another shipmate on our 3/13 broke his leg on the ship. Accidents happen. Peace of mind is cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

but if I start a new thread it'll get moved since it's not Carnival related but:

I've read that you can bu a yearly policy that can cover multiple trips within the same year/policy period?

Does anyone know what this is called? Is it an umbrella policy or what? I can't seem to find anything on this option.

Thanks

Don't purchase through cruise line. I use Travel Guard and last year our one suitcase was lost for our second cruise. Delayed luggage paid $600 so we could pick up some clothes until our luggage caught up with us. Plus medical and peace of mind is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

but if I start a new thread it'll get moved since it's not Carnival related but:

I've read that you can bu a yearly policy that can cover multiple trips within the same year/policy period?

Does anyone know what this is called? Is it an umbrella policy or what? I can't seem to find anything on this option.

Thanks

I've seen this type of product offered on insuremytrip.com but noticed that it doesn't cover cancellation - FYI. My greatest concern is medical and emergency evacuation as those expenses can far exceed any vacation investment.