How much time do we need to plan for disembarking the ship?

threeedogmedia

We are long time cruisers but have never been on HAL before. If we disembark in Sydney, what do you all feel would be the amount of time we need to allow for this process so we can make a flight the same day back to Seattle?

Karen

Disembarkation on HAL is usually smooth. It's the immigration procedures and the port that can tie things up.

HAL normally recommends that you do not plan on a flight earlier than noon. I usually book a flight after 1:00 pm no matter where I am in the world or stay over and fly out the next day.

Thanks to all of you. We're used to being able to disembark as early as we need to (on Regent and Oceania) in order to have the necessary time for travel to the airport and for the time we need at the airport. I had no idea if HAL would allow you to disembark after we cleared at the port or if there was some sort of queue we had to endure. We've been on ships where it was such a mess that we waited 4 hours to get off the ship. We almost missed our flight. I've heard such good things about HAL that this will be a new adventure trying out a new cruise line and learning about the ship. Happy Cruising to you all.

Karen

As a whole, HAL's part of disembarkation is usually quite smooth and colors/numbers indicating what time each guest will plan to disembark is predicated upon their onward travel plans which are submitted to front office early in the cruise.

HAL does their part just fine vast majority of the time.

Edited by sail7seas

Two years ago when we arrived at Sydney the customs and immigration was done on board by agents that got on at our last stop.We just walked off the ship and picked up our bags and took the HAL bus to the airport.Call HAL and ask them when is the earliest time you can catch a plane,we were able to fly home to Vancouver the day we disembarked.I do not remember the time but it was early afternoon.The important thing with Australia is no wood or food products allowed into the country,people that lied were caught by cute little dogs as they disembarked.

Louise - I had a good laugh when you mentioned the cute little dogs..... We got off in one port and those cute little beagles were checking all of us and especially our bags while we waited in line. We had to place our bags on the floor by our side. The beagle came up to my tote bag and sat down. Oh, not good..... Anyway, I was asked to allow an inspection and of course I said yes. I had nothing in the bag other than a bottle of water and some tissues, lipstick and some other little things. That poor dog was sure I had something in there. After they removed everything and came up empty, they asked if food had ever been in the bag. As it happens, the day before at the pool while we had lunch, someone bumped my plate and a small piece of bacon from my burger fell into the bag. I immediately removed it and thought nothing of it until the poor dog was having a fit that they didn't find something. They allowed me to go on my way. I know my dogs have a "sniffer" that won't quit and I can hide a ball on the counter where they can't see it and they will lay right below the ball waiting for me to give in so a piece of bacon that was there for less than a minute in my bag shouldn't surprise me.

I think I'll call HAL and ask them what they suggest as far as timing. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I would make a horrible smuggler. I can't lie without turning red. It would be my luck to end up in cuffs so I just follow the rules. It's much easier.....

Karen

Just this weekend the Eurodam didn't disembark in Ft Laud. until 11ish due to non-HAL slowness.

This last weekend we were off the Eurodam at 8:00am and at the airport lounge by 8:45am. Mind you we walked our luggage off and were one of the first in line at customs.

We did notice they only had one customs agent open and the line was beginning to get long, so if its important to get off early, walk your luggage off.

• 2 weeks later...

This brought back very fond memories of our first time at the Sydney Cruise Terminal. We were on a back to back Oceania cruise from Auckland to Sydney and then Sydney to Bangkok. What an incredible trip and I loved Australia! I've always wanted to go back and Sydney is one of my favorites. This particular trip on HAL goes from Sydney to Sydney and hits many ports we've only heard about. From everything I've heard on this board, HAL will treat us right and we'll have a great time. Oh, and I can't wait to hold another Koala and pet another kangaroo!

Karen