Haven and kids.....pro? con??

chloemonkey

We were on the first trip out off Houston (10/11/14) on a 7 day Western Caribbean trip and although this was our fourth time in a Haven Two Bedroom Suite, we had a relatively large amount of children onboard AND in the Haven.

Previous trips in the Haven were 15 to 17 days long.....so that might explain why this 7 day cruise seemed to have so many kids in the Haven....but we were surprised....and I have to admit that I was NOT a happy cruiser.....

I understand that presumable everyone that is IN the Haven has paid accordingly for the experience.....but still found myself gritting my teeth on numerous occasions when I would try to go and enjoy this space and found that I had to deal with young couples with children that were fighting, yelling, monopolizing the jacuzzi.....running around......I am sure that you get the idea/

On numerous occasions, the mother would say something to the effect of "ok Jr....If an adult wants to use the jacuzzi....you are all going to o have to get out...." WHO in the world would ever THINK of approaching the jacuzzi after that sort of message????

Other times one of the boys would run and JUMP on the "focal" sun bed in the center of the Haven......message to boy from mom was "oh no Jr......those are for adults! You CANNOT be on that......." at which point the boy merely THREW the bolster pillows off of this sun bed.......began to roll around and around on this sun bed........and all the while the mom had NOTHING further to say to her little darling.....

There was yet another family with small children.....and this second group was "better" behaved.....but to tell the truth, I have decided that I really do not enjoy children in the Haven! And have decided that I have a better chance of not having kids share our Haven space if we go back to booking only cruises of 15 days or more.....

But I DO wonder if it is just me? As I AM getting old and cranky! But when paying for Haven suites and experience....and not being able to even lay out there or enjoy the area....I wonder if I am alone in my viewpoint......

Just curious.....as we LOVE the Haven....but this last trip was really NOT what we had grown to love......as we did NOT enjoy the loud outbursts of the kids that also apparently were booked in the Haven....We also had the experience of of one couple that seemed to have Haven priviledges - apparently brought another couple up to experience the Haven as well. I could tell that from their conversations......and this also did not seem fair to me......but I have to admit that I did NOT say anything...as at least these were aDULTS! and they were not screaming at the top of their lungs or throwing tantrums......as WAS the case with the kids that we were forced to share the Haven with on the week beginning 10/11/14....

Would like to know if anyone else thinks that the Haven might be better suited to be Adults only......I know that I would pay an additional fee.....

I agree with the OP, the concierge handled these kind of issue on our last cruise. Here's what NCL says:

"Welcome to a private world of luxury at sea - a ship-within-a-ship reserved exclusively for Norwegian's special guests. Each elegant suite and villa in The Haven provides you with the finest amenities, and the expert services of our concierge and 24-hour butlers. Step outside your residence and you'll enter a secluded Courtyard where you can spend your sea days relaxing, dining and enjoying exquisite privacy. We call it The Haven by Norwegian. You'll call it pure paradise."

Nothing mentioned about a playground, splash pool etc. Our concierge allowed the kids but with no running, yelling, splashing etc. When the Haven Butler couldn't handle it, he called the Concierge and it got quiet pretty fast. Most of the ships have a Splash area for kids being kids.

I've always thought the Haven is sort of a conflicting idea. On one hand, people book it in part for serenity and relaxation. On the other hand, it is the only place on the ship that has 2 bedroom cabins, capable of handling families with more than 2 kids.

I was debating whether or not I wanted to respond to this post as ones like this tend to get me fired up, but I'll keep it sane.

I agree with the OP on some aspects, but disagree quite a bit. Granted what those kids were doing were totally unacceptable and their parents should have put an end to it. Kids are kids and they'll do stuff like that. I think the parents are the ones to blame for this. They obviously weren't handling the situation.

As one of the posters stated....with the new ships the only rooms on board that'll fit a family with more than 2 kids are the 2-bedroom suites, and those happen to be in the Haven area. As a parent of 3 kids, I take offense to the OP stating that kids shouldn't be allowed in the Haven. Now granted if my kids were doing that, I'd usher them right out of the Haven. Basically you're almost saying that if you have more than 2 kids, sail on an older ship or one that doesn't have access to the Haven area.

You're are sailing on Norwegian Cruise Line....as line that's practically 100% geared towards families. Of course there are going to be kids on there. Maybe you should look at sailing on one of the more upscale cruise lines that's not completely geared/dedicated towards children.

I was debating whether or not I wanted to respond to this post as ones like this tend to get me fired up, but I'll keep it sane.

I agree with the OP on some aspects, but disagree quite a bit. Granted what those kids were doing were totally unacceptable and their parents should have put an end to it. Kids are kids and they'll do stuff like that. I think the parents are the ones to blame for this. They obviously weren't handling the situation.

As one of the posters stated....with the new ships the only rooms on board that'll fit a family with more than 2 kids are the 2-bedroom suites, and those happen to be in the Haven area. As a parent of 3 kids, I take offense to the OP stating that kids shouldn't be allowed in the Haven. Now granted if my kids were doing that, I'd usher them right out of the Haven. Basically you're almost saying that if you have more than 2 kids, sail on an older ship or one that doesn't have access to the Haven area.

You're are sailing on Norwegian Cruise Line....as line that's practically 100% geared towards families. Of course there are going to be kids on there. Maybe you should look at sailing on one of the more upscale cruise lines that's not completely geared/dedicated towards children.

I completely agree with this. Banning kids from the Haven makes sense in the same way that banning alcohol from the cruise will prevent obnoxious drunks. It's an extreme reaction to a situation that should be otherwise controllable. I hope that concierges and Haven butlers can be of assistance the same way that bartenders can help control (prevent) the drunks.

We love NCL because of the opportunities for families (flexibility, dining choices, entertainment, choices of rooms, etc) but also realize that for what we're paying for a suite, we could be getting a basic level room (with tons of amenities) on a luxury line once we enter the time in our lives when we DON'T want to be around kids. The nice thing about cruising is that there are tons of options.... I propose expanding yours rather than limiting others'.

I completely agree with this. Banning kids from the Haven makes sense in the same way that banning alcohol from the cruise will prevent obnoxious drunks. It's an extreme reaction to a situation that should be otherwise controllable. I hope that concierges and Haven butlers can be of assistance the same way that bartenders can help control (prevent) the drunks.

We love NCL because of the opportunities for families (flexibility, dining choices, entertainment, choices of rooms, etc) but also realize that for what we're paying for a suite, we could be getting a basic level room (with tons of amenities) on a luxury line once we enter the time in our lives when we DON'T want to be around kids. The nice thing about cruising is that there are tons of options.... I propose expanding yours rather than limiting others'.

I agree that the bulters and concierges can be of assistance, but they need to know this is going on. They can't help if they aren't made away of it.

We too love NCL, we are going in a few weeks and this will be our 4th time on there. For us, having 3 kids, NCL makes the best sense. They one of the few lines that have rooms that'll fit us, and the good prices they offer do help a lot.

OP: I can understand your frustration!

The problem is that many (NOT all) parents ignore their children's deplorable behavior, to the detriment of others who are forced to put up with their lack of parenting skills and respect for others rights.

The Haven does advertise itself as being a more serene & tranquil venue.

Yours is not the first post to point out horrid behavior from kids in there.

It IS NCL's responsibility to maintain this atmosphere for all to enjoy.

If guests do not complain, nothing will change, so please ask for some assistance when these little darlings are being obnoxious & disrespectful.

Hoping your future sailings will be more to your liking :D

I've always thought the Haven is sort of a conflicting idea. On one hand, people book it in part for serenity and relaxation. On the other hand, it is the only place on the ship that has 2 bedroom cabins, capable of handling families with more than 2 kids.

Exactly!

Parents are responsible for their kids. And like with all things in life, even in the Haven you'll find folks who don't make the parenting decisions (general) you think they should.

My kids have sailed on NCL several times and in the Haven twice; we're also booked as a family on two upcoming sailings in Haven suites. There is always an adult present when they're in the public areas and they know how they're expected to behave. Each time we've sailed in the Haven we've seen families who make different choices than we do when it comes to parenting and behavior expectations. We've also seen folks without kids behave questionably. It's not just the kids. :eek:

So to answer the OP, I do not think the Haven should be "adults only." There are other places where you can escape from kids (such as the spa), but the Haven should remain a place open to all who choose to indulge.

The Haven suites are sold to anyone including families therefore the Haven pool, courtyard and lounge area is open to everyone. Now, a child jumping from chair to chair surely needed to be reprimanded or removed but some kids going into the hot tub or playing in the pool, IMO, is perfectly acceptable. What NCL should do,is allow Vibe access to adults traveling in the Haven who want an adults- only atmosphere.

It should be suggested to parents that there is children's programing onboard, so that the little darlings don't need to be underfoot in the haven.

This may come as a shock, but sometimes parents actually want to spend time with their "little darlings."

NCL caters to families like all cruise lines do. The 2 bedroom suites are perfect for families so there are going to be lots of kids at the pool area. We don't use the Haven pool area but the one time I did it was over run with teenagers in the hot tubs and kids and their toys in the Haven pool. Their parents paid for the suites so of course they are entitled to use the area. Kids are kids and are supposed to run and splash. The Haven is not what some think it is....an adults only oasis.

This has been debated here before but I am disappointed with NCL with all the new ships. They continue to add more suites while the Haven pool gets smaller and smaller. And there are no adult areas in the Haven except Posh on Epic. Am I correct?

There are those who think the Haven is an oasis of adults only peacefulness. That is not always the case.

Edited by david_sobe

It would be a very simple solution to give adults who want it a Vibe pass to use instead of Haven. But NCL might lose a few hundred $ per sailing if they did that! LOL

I am sure our kids will spend most of their time in the kids clubs and that when they want to go to the pool, they'll want to try the slides and splash area but there will definite be times, I am thinking before dinner and after lunch when clubs are closed that well all want to be in the Haven and they'll be in the pools there.

I love reading these "kids shouldn't be allowed" posts. As the father to two very energetic elementary aged boys, I offer this to the OP.

My family's dollar is just as green as your dollar. :)

And, my brothers dollar is just as green as yours. You will know who he is. On the next cruise, he will be the guy sitting next to you at dinner talking in a voice that can be heard across the room. His language will be colorful (no cursing, just colorfull). His muscle shirt will say " I am with stupid". Next to him is his wife that will be just as loud and will be asking you to take pictures for her. And she will want to show you all the funny pictures they took yesterday. They will be harrassing the waiter asking for a 3rd plate of food.

When you go to the jacuzzi, he will be the one singing with a beer bottle as a microphone. His 325 pound wife will be showing off her new bikini.

The kids will be dive bombing into the pool. And running from one end of the pool deck to the other getting points for each plate of food they knock over.

You will see him again riding up and down the elevator playing keep away from his kids who are running on the stairs.

No worry though, they have green money.

I love reading these "kids shouldn't be allowed" posts. As the father to two very energetic elementary aged boys, I offer this to the OP.

My family's dollar is just as green as your dollar. :)

It's not the children who are at fault, it's the fault of overindulgent parents who don't teach their kids to be respectful of others (whose dollars are every bit as green). The type of behavior that may be acceptable to you at your own backyard pool may not be acceptable in a public place.

It's not the children who are at fault, it's the fault of overindulgent parents who don't teach their kids to be respectful of others (whose dollars are every bit as green). The type of behavior that may be acceptable to you at your own backyard pool may not be acceptable in a public place.

I agree with you, but the majority of posts like this are from people who, if a kid even smiled, it would be too loud for them.

It's almost always those who don't have children that are the biggest grumps :rolleyes: Kids will be kids. They are not going to sit there quietly, hands folded in their laps, etc. They are kids.

I'd sail another line, if I were you.

I remember being a child many, many decades ago...and I remember being the parent of a young child many decades ago.

If I ever behaved the way I see some of the children behave in the Haven (and elsewhere...and not just on ships) you can be darn sure my parents would not have tolerated it, and my wife and I certainly didn't tolerate our child acting anything like what we've seen.

The Haven...or any other public place...isn't your backyard or your basement or your playroom, and every person in that public place has the right to expect parents to hold their children to some reasonable standard of behavior...not to be indulged with the all-too-common attitude of "little Johnny and Janey are allowed to do what ever they want".

It's not the children who are at fault, it's the fault of overindulgent

parents who don't teach their kids to be respectful of others

(whose dollars are every bit as green). The type of behavior that may be acceptable to you at your own backyard pool may not be acceptable in a public place.

When all is said and done... this is the answer

Edited by garycarla