Royal Caribbean to Cruisers: Stop Expecting Last-Minute Discounts

As long as they don't allow refunds and/or OBC for price drops after final payment, there is no reason to book early. You can be almost sure that the price will go down after final payment date, so it pays to wait. (The only exception is if you want specific cabins).

Not allowing refunds/obc on price drops after the final payment was a self defeating policy and a vicious cycle... it encourages people to wait, and so they have too many unsold cabins. And then they are forced to drop prices. (or sail with too many empty cabins).

If they really want to eliminate big discounts closer to the sail date, they need to return the practice of allowing OBC/refunds for price drops after final payment. In this case people will not be afraid to buy early, the ships will fill up faster, and discounts will not be so necessary (and therefore they will not have so many "price drop" claims).

I'm expecting to see/hear of more "upgrade for $xxx" calls from RCCL on ships that aren't filling.

And I'm another who feels that they shot themselves in the foot taking away the opportunity for early bookers to get OBC/refunds after final payment.

The only cruise I book early now is our annual family cruise, to get 3 cabins together. Our honey & me cruises are always last minute now. We live in Florida - why book early and pay more?!

If I knew that I'd receive the absolute best price by booking early, I'd always book on opening day. I've watched prices fall far too low to do that again!

Sad ... and on a new ship, no less. I'm thinking that it had as much to do with the homeport as anything else.

Al

No doubt, 7 night cruises from NY in the fall/winter to the Bahamas rarely hold a strong price point because of weather considerations except for special circumstances (holiday cruises, the novelty of a new ship like Quantum). However, I can guarantee you that NCL wasn't complaining over the summer when Breakaway was commanding top dollar (with I'm sure strong on board revenue) cruising to Bermuda!

IMHO they should run more long cruises (9-12 nights) in the Winter like RCI does to combat that.

Edited by Dave85

Royal's product isn't so unique that I'm willing to pay a 400% markup vs a similar experience on Princess or Carnival. I'm Diamond and the perks are real, but if I can cruise for $1000 on Princess vs $4000 on Royal...that's real money!

I don't think the last minute deals anger anyone. It's these fake sales and opaque pricing that upsets people.

Everyone knows they try to fill all the cabins, and if you don't get the price drop, you can often get an upgrade (which frees up your cabin to be resold to value-conscious cruisers). No big deal.

But fake sales where the prices are the same or more expensive than before the sale....BOGO sales that really aren't...WOW sales which are just discounts off a jacked-up price....these are what people get angry about. Please, NO MORE SALES! Just show us the REAL price on the web site. Keep it simple. Make it easy for customers to buy your product.

Haven't seen a thread for this yet, but apologies if I've missed it.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-10-27/royal-caribbean-to-cruisers-stop-expecting-last-minute-discounts?campaign_id=yhoo

I'm one of the early birds, but I wouldn't say it bothers me that there's last minute deals. They simply don't affect me, nothing I can do. I see it as a way to fill the ship, make onboard revenue that in turn subsidizes my rates in a way. Less onboard revenue = higher fares in the beginning IMO.

It clearly says in the article that the practice will NOT end any time soon....Royal hopes to change the expectation of cruisers over time.....but doesn't have any more specific time line to provide.....as the article says, for now, 'it is what it is'. The title has more hype in it that meaty details.

To me it doesn't matter....I book a cruise when I want the confirmation that I am ON the ship and in the cabin that I want for the cruise price that I believe is fair for the vacation I am booking. If someone is willing to wait until the last minute and take what cabins are left....that is their option....just not mine.

Edited by Paulette3028

I am one who book early. However at current prices, despite all kinds of sales, I find the offers with Royal or Celebrity when booking in advance not price worth it.

For example Interior cabin Quantum of the Seas 14 nights for US 6000 for two people. Or Interior Cabin Transatlantic with Serenade of the Seas for US 4000 for two people.

Some people may find that those prices are OK, but we find this could may be Ok in balcony not the cheapest interior.

This means for us, we will not book ahead of time anymore as long as the prices remain high. If the prices of cruises offered go down (in advance or later on) we will still book with Royal or Celebrity. Otherwise,we will move on and book with other cruiselines.

Edited by travelberlin

If I reserve and price goes down I want it. After I pay in full I quit watching

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I feel the same way - if the price drops before final payment, I want that price. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to get the best bargain/price for my cruise up to the date that final payment is due. But after the final payment date goes by - I don't expect to get the last minute deals that the ship runs trying to fill up the remaining cabins.

I don't think the last minute deals anger anyone. It's these fake sales and opaque pricing that upsets people.

Everyone knows they try to fill all the cabins, and if you don't get the price drop, you can often get an upgrade (which frees up your cabin to be resold to value-conscious cruisers). No big deal.

But fake sales where the prices are the same or more expensive than before the sale....BOGO sales that really aren't...WOW sales which are just discounts off a jacked-up price....these are what people get angry about. Please, NO MORE SALES! Just show us the REAL price on the web site. Keep it simple. Make it easy for customers to buy your product.

I agree - the "sales" that are not really "sales" made me mad!! Especially when I got an ad in the mail from RCCI for a BOGOHO and since I had my eye on a certain cruise - I went on-line thinking I was going to see a "sale" and the bottom line price was more that the original price I had seen. Really bummed me out!

Like I mentioned in my earlier post up to about three weeks ago the Serenade TA we're on next week showed almost sold out with really high prices for the few cabins being offered then more than 60 cabins became available so currently a Z gty is at $426 PP.

Maybe with RC changing Serenade's TA cruise itinerary to Copenhagen from Boston they feel that will give them a full ship at these high prices but I doubt it as it is a northern route easterly repositioning, which both make it likely to be less popular. I know we won't be booking that one after being on Serenade's two previous TA cruises.

I agree. Just give us fair prices to start with and please do not offer fake sales.

I don't plan last minute, but I buy the air in advance and then wait to see which cruise will work.

I booked our August 2014 cruise in June, and about 3 weeks later prices dropped way down...about $250/pp. I ended up upgrading to connecting JS cabins for only $100/pp which I was happy with.

Now I was hoping to do the same for next year, but the air prices, which I purchased in October 2013 (at $214/pp rt) are running over $400 for the same flights for 2015. No way am I paying that, at least not this far out.

So I'll sit and watch and wait for something to come into my price comfort zone before I buy.

Hi, how are you able to purchase airfare in advance when you don't yet know which day of the week you will be leaving and returning?

Thanks

Booking on board gives you a reduced deposit and onboard credit for the future cruise.

Booking early gives you the best choice of staterooms. It may also give you the lowest prices.

Hello,

The side of the pond, in Pounds Sterling, we pay the same deposit on board as we do direct on the website or via a TA. Sometimes as a 'come-on' TAs will offer a reduced deposit but not often.

Regards,

Cublet

While they may not promote them as last minute deals anymore on their web site, the low rates are still there. For example you can get a 9 night cruise for $299.00. Whether they call it a last minute sale or not, they still have to respond to market conditions.

Hello,

The side of the pond, in Pounds Sterling, we pay the same deposit on board as we do direct on the website or via a TA. Sometimes as a 'come-on' TAs will offer a reduced deposit but not often.

Regards,

Cublet

Do they give you on board credit for the future cruise when you book onboard?

Do they give you on board credit for the future cruise when you book onboard?

They do ... but it's been the hot topic of discussion since the recent change in policy. Before the modification, all cruises booked onboard received $100 onboard credit, irrespective of price, accommodations, length of trip, etc. Now it's calculated on what category you book and how long you'll be sailing ... $25 is the least (inside,7 nights) ... then it goes to, I believe, $50, $100 and $200 based on the above. It was the best future cruise benefit in the industry ... now it's pretty much in line with the competition.

Al

Edited by jewopaho

My wife and I cruise 3-4 times a year and usually 2 of those are back to back

BUT we live within an hour of Baltimore and leaving a day early to fly to Florida, get a room then get on board the next day is just not out thing..So for the last

5-6 years we have only sales out of Baltimore and today that leaves us with a choice between Carnival and RCI ...and no choice of which ships..

I NEVER BOOK early... We are both retired so its no problem to check prices 3-4 times a week (its a game really with us) to see what "deals" are being offered in the next 2-3 months when we see something we hop on it...

BTW... we stopped booking Balconies.... then stopped booking Ocean View, and now only book inside rooms. Its not that we are frugal but we both enjoy cruising , In 2014 we will have sailed (next weeks cruise included ) a total of 36 nights ...cost well under $100 dollars a night pp ..

If prices no longer drop I guess we will not sail as often as we have been

Bob G

How does everyone feel about Royal Caribbean getting rid of the last minute cruise deals? I have not seen any posts about it. Personally, we are not able to take advantage them since we both work and are too far away from any port so this will not affect us.

*** Canadian Cruiser's EH!!! on FB ***

I'll believe it when I see it.

Ditto.

Watching several cruises and as per usual the Thanksgiving cruise for this year is nosediving in price as I type.

I'm not upset, bought my room at a great price and picked what I wanted and my parents are still "ahead" vs. the price on their balcony but the inside/oceanview prices were in free-fall earlier this week.