Walk on Embarkation with luggage?

cruisingberger

We will be on Golden for a short cruise at the end of November and would like to take our luggage as walk on since we will have such small bags. My question is, will they confiscate my make up, liquid soaps etc like they do at the airport? If so, I would rather just check the luggage in.:confused:

No. The screening at the ship is not TSA, it is local security, hired either by the cruise line or the port authority, so TSA rules do not apply. Just know that all of your bags must be no larger than airline carry-on size, since it must be sent through a scanner similar to the ones at airports.

As long as your bags will fit thru the scanner, you can carry them on. It is the size of the ones at the airport.

As to liquids, for non-alcohol, no problems. Two bottles of wine per cabin without charge. Additional bottles of wine subject to $15 corkage fee. No other alcohol

Sorry to disagree with above, but scanners can handle a 25" case as long as it's not expanded in the "bursting" position. I've done it many times in FLL and in San Pedro. Airline usually only allow 21" (sometimes 22") as carryon.

Also, you do not have to remove shoes when going through the metal detector.

I was told by an airport security lady when flying that shoes that fastened with Velcro and had no metal were the best for security screening. Due to disability I usually have a wand down while seated for stability, and just change from sitting sideways on the chair to sitting properly on the chair to allow wand access. Last time I was holding my asthma puffer, the lady suggested I take a dose and sit the puffer in the walker basket while she used the wand-worked a treat, much easier and I delightedly thanked her for her cleverness-stress is a big asthma trigger with me.

I buy my shoes at a Rivers Clearance store, usually sneaker type soft shoes although not above getting a smarter pair if I can get a Velcro fastening. Yes I could pay a shoemaker (and have!) to remove the button and elastic and sew Velcro where needed if that's the only shoe available when I'm buying.

I've also been called out of the line by a security officer who had dealt with me before and knew I wasn't stable enough on 1 walking stick, (I use metal foldable ones which would set the machine off!), to manage through the scanner. Much grumbling from those in front of me about the "preferential" treatment, they were informed I had Special Needs and had joined the line up as everyone else did, putting my stuff in the tray as directed, it was just the wanding that needed to be done away from the line up. The rude guy promptly looked very unhappy.

Hope this tip helps someone else. I've learnt such lots of useful info, that if I can give something back to help someone else, I'll gladly do so.

Crochetccruise :cool:

Sorry to disagree with above, but scanners can handle a 25" case as long as it's not expanded in the "bursting" position. I've done it many times in FLL and in San Pedro. Airline usually only allow 21" (sometimes 22") as carryon.

years ago the airport scanners would take a bigger bag and that is the type of scanner the cruiseline uses. In the late 90's or so the airlines went to the smaller scanner since they were having a problem with putting the oversized bags in the overheads.

years ago the airport scanners would take a bigger bag and that is the type of scanner the cruiseline uses. In the late 90's or so the airlines went to the smaller scanner since they were having a problem with putting the oversized bags in the overheads.

I never tried taking a large bag on to a plane simply because I would never be able to lift it overhead. As for cruises, I just put one through last month in FLL.

For our California Coastal, I am taking one bag like the stewardess and pilots carry on. It's about the size of a laptop-business bag. I already have it packed. I have 6 days of clothes, nightwear, etc. plus hairdryer, 3x1x1 bag, plus lots of other stuff - comb, brush, curling iron,etc. It holds a lot. The size is very deceiving.

I am rolling it on with me as I have done with my larger carry on bag in the past.

Edited by redtogo

Last time I was holding my asthma puffer, the lady suggested I take a dose and sit the puffer in the walker basket while she used the wand-worked a treat, much easier and I delightedly thanked her for her cleverness-stress is a big asthma trigger

Crochetccruise :cool:

Here is another handy tip...

Since you know stress is your trigger, use your inhaler 30 minutes BEFORE you get into the stressful situation (I.e. the line at the port). It takes 30-45 minutes for maximum effect from the drug in your "rescue" inhaler to work.:D