100 years since Australian troops sailed to WW1

Tomorrow marks a significant milestone in Australia's history. 36 troopships with 30,000 men sailed from King George Sound in Albany, Western Australia to Gallipolli. These were the first ANZACS.

A Naval sunset memorial service is currently underway.

More details here. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-31/anzac-centenary-albany-marks-historic-departure-of-wwi-fleet/5846812

Albany is a port of call for many cruise ships visiting Australia.

Hugh

Tomorrow marks a significant milestone in Australia's history. 36 troopships with 30,000 men sailed from King George Sound in Albany, Western Australia to Gallipolli. These were the first ANZACS.

A Naval sunset memorial service is currently underway.

More details here. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-31/anzac-centenary-albany-marks-historic-departure-of-wwi-fleet/5846812

Albany is a port of call for many cruise ships visiting Australia.

Hugh

Been watching fascinating broadcast on abc 2 tonight

I am currently reading a book 'The Unknown Anzacs', author Michael Caulfield, it includes diary entries from the men and women who left Australia for WW1, yes there were women, Army nurses. Some compelling reading there starting from the sea journey from Australia to the Suez and beyond. If you get the chance get it from your local library, like I have.

Lest we forget.

http://www.anzaccentenary.gov.au/program/acce.htm

There are events all weekend in Albany, WA marking the centenary, including -

Official Opening of the National Anzac Centre

Saturday 1 November, 1pm

The National Anzac Centre is a state of the art interpretive museum providing a means for people of all ages and generations to learn about, and reflect upon, the service and sacrifice of Australian men and women during the First World War.

Symbolic Departure of Naval Ships

Saturday 1 November, 1.00pm - 2.00pm

Naval ships will depart the harbour in a symbolic movement, representing the centenary of the first convoy's departure.

Currently showing live on ABC24News (11 am Qld time).

Fantastic TV. This event is important enough to be attended by the Governor General of Australia as well as the Prime Ministers of both Australia and New Zealand.

This excellent reference material for anyone asking on future cruises about Albany.

I agree, excellent coverage by ABC.

This should be a boom for Albany tourism, which is a beautiful place in its own right.

Will be a great port of call for more ships to visit, with its harbour. Esperance, WA, would be another great port of call.

I agree, excellent coverage by ABC.

This should be a boom for Albany tourism, which is a beautiful place in its own right.

Will be a great port of call for more ships to visit, with its harbour. Esperance, WA, would be another great port of call.

Agreed. Big difference is that Albany has a sheltered harbour and docking facilities. The new ANZAC centre would be a must visit for not only Aussies and Kiwis but also overseas visitors. Esperance is a tender port but has some great beaches and National Parks.

Hugh

I think that the actual Centenary was Thursday, but that aside.

Thank God for all those who have been willing to put their lives on the line to fight for our freedom.

The actual date is today Nov 1. That is when the convoy departed.

Here is some more info from News.com

http://www.news.com.au/national/anzac-day/a-century-ago-30000-anzac-troops-left-the-port-of-albany-bound-for-war-in-gallipoli/story-fnmewwpe-1227107805515

The actual date is today Nov 1. That is when the convoy departed.

Here is some more info from News.com

http://www.news.com.au/national/anzac-day/a-century-ago-30000-anzac-troops-left-the-port-of-albany-bound-for-war-in-gallipoli/story-fnmewwpe-1227107805515

Yes sorry I don't knoe why I thought Thursday was the 1st

Agreed. Big difference is that Albany has a sheltered harbour and docking facilities. The new ANZAC centre would be a must visit for not only Aussies and Kiwis but also overseas visitors. Esperance is a tender port but has some great beaches and National Parks.

Hugh

In addition, Albany has the moving Kemal Ataturk Memorial.

http://monumentaustralia.org.au/themes/people/military/display/60015-kemal-ataturk-memorial

Mustafa Kemal Ataturk (1881-1938)

Founder of the modern Republic of Turkey.

Commander in Chief of the

Turkish forces in Gallipoli.

His famous words are:

PEACE AT HOME PEACE IN THE WORLD

At a dawn service in 1934 in Gallipoli referring to the ANZAC troops

He said :

" Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ...

You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.

Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the

Johnnies and Mehmets to us where they lie side by side ....

You, the mothers, who sent their sons from far away

countries. Wipe away your tears, your sons are now lying in

our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives

they are now our sons as well."

Sculpture by Burhan Alkar

Architects : Howard and Associates

Supported by : Turkish Prime Ministerial Office, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Turkey,

City of Albany and Australian Government.

Donated to the City of Albany by Turkish Australian Culture House.Inc. Perth, 25 April. 2001

Edited by MMDown Under

As an American visiting your great country, I was truly impressed by the Memorials that have been built, one in every State that I visted, I believe, to those who served and lost their lives during WWI.

As with all wars, sad sacrifices in order to help their fellow countrymen.