New Ovation ship/Where will she sail in 2016?

hollon

Today, the most modern cruise cruise ships use pod propulsion. No longer are there fixed propellers or a rudder. Of course the ship's draft or draught (depth in the water) can be an issue, but if the harbor is dredged, no problem. The Oasis class of RCI ships has a draft of 31'. Not bad.

That being said, you could take an Oasis class ship and spin it around it's vertical axis by turning the two pods (only two turn, the two others are fixed) while using the bow thrusters to assist up front. You spin around like a top, literally.

If the ship is 1186' feet long (Oasis class), you will spin in a radius of about 1186', wind and currents aside, but those can be corrected for from the bridge.

Here's a good video to watch about Indy.

Amazing stuff we have these days!

Tug boat, what's a tug boat?

The Celebrity Solstice was doing Alaska (roundtrip Seattle) cruises this past season.

Celebrity Solstice has done Alaska the last two summers, and will return in 2015.

Thanks. I took a look at the dimensions of Quantum class vs Solstice, and Quantum is about 100 feet longer, so it might be more difficult for Quantum to do the Alaska itineraries.

Alaska! Alaska! Alaska!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would love it to go to Alaska, but after I started thinking, usually the older people go to alaska (ok, i'm not old:eek:) b/c of the roller skating, bumper cars, probabaly wouldn't be used that often.

I would love it to go to Alaska, but after I started thinking, usually the older people go to alaska (ok, i'm not old:eek:) b/c of the roller skating, bumper cars, probabaly wouldn't be used that often.

I wouldn't necessarily say it is all old people, but it is definitely a port intensive, quieter type of cruise. Who knows, maybe Royal would attempt to attract a younger crowd of people to Alaska..

Yes, what happened to Quantum? In and out of Bayonne, so quickly, no time to sail her. But will definitely give the Anthem a try. Ovation? What an awful name!

Would love if Oasis moves to Port Canaveral. Time for a b-2-b Fantasy/Oasis!

I don't think NYC/NJ could handle 2 Quantum class ships. Don't see that happening.

Yes, what happened to Quantum? In and out of Bayonne, so quickly, no time to sail her. But will definitely give the Anthem a try. Ovation? What an awful name!

Would love if Oasis moves to Port Canaveral. Time for a b-2-b Fantasy/Oasis!

I don't think NYC/NJ could handle 2 Quantum class ships. Don't see that happening.

Quantum got repositioned to China. Agreed, there most likely will never be two Quantum Class ships in NJ.

I'm also hoping to give Anthem a try. Hoping she will be doing the 9N Bermuda/Caribbean runs in summer 16, but if not I'll probably try to sail on her on a Bahamas itinerary in the early spring..

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Thanks. I took a look at the dimensions of Quantum class vs Solstice, and Quantum is about 100 feet longer, so it might be more difficult for Quantum to do the Alaska itineraries.

Agreed, but I guess with the maneuverability being so precise, this may not be a problem. Tracy Arm Fjord is about 1/2 mile wide for example (let's round down to 2,500ft) so maybe it's possible. Glacier Bay and Hubbard are even wider.

Imo a Q class ship would be INCREDIBLE in Alaska!! We can only dream :D

I wouldn't necessarily say it is all old people, but it is definitely a port intensive, quieter type of cruise. Who knows, maybe Royal would attempt to attract a younger crowd of people to Alaska..

True! a more layed back quieter type. Kids need to see Alaska too, not just the beach :)

• 2 months later...
Anthem is on Gibralters Port Authority schedule for 2016

That could be a placeholder for Ovation otS, since Anthem is also listed for St. Maarten throughout summer 2016...

So either the St. Maarten calls could be a placeholder for Ovation, or the Gibraltar calls, while I personally think that Anthem stays at Cape Liberty and Ovation sails from Southampton...

sxm-2016.jpg.38cc4657b4a50f247048236336905bee.jpg

That could be a placeholder for Ovation otS, since Anthem is also listed for St. Maarten throughout summer 2016...

So either the St. Maarten calls could be a placeholder for Ovation, or the Gibraltar calls, while I personally think that Anthem stays at Cape Liberty and Ovation sails from Southampton...

Oh, would love one of them in Europe. Just booked the Anthem for Feb. 2016 so hope Ovation is in Europe in the summer. Wish these darn cruise lines would have their itineraries out 18 months in advance!!

Oh, would love one of them in Europe. Just booked the Anthem for Feb. 2016 so hope Ovation is in Europe in the summer. Wish these darn cruise lines would have their itineraries out 18 months in advance!!

I am pretty sure that at least one of the Quantum-Class-ships sails Europe again in 2016 - but I personally think it will be Ovation, since it makes sense to leave Anthm at Cape Liberty year-round, IMHO...

Yeah, I am also waiting impateintly for the new itineraries... :rolleyes:

Nice Donna! Can you convince Courtney to do a European cruise?

My bet would be for Ft. Lauderdale and Oasis or Allure will move to Port Canaveral.

Hm, if Ovation moves to Ft. Lauderdale, than she might sail there from Nov. 2016, after her possible Europe season - and doing 6 and 8 night Caribbean cruises.

Maybe Anthem moves to Ft. Lauderdale from summer 2016, if the Bermuda pier does not get dredged on time, and RCI needs to deploy another ship for Bermuda out of NYC - if RCI deploys Independence out of Cape Liberty, than Anthem MIGHT do the Caribbean runs Indy is doing in summer 2015.

But that's only speculation from my side.

No chance of a southern port--Galveston or New Orleans...right?

Galveston surely keeps Liberty otS for the next few years, which will be relocated from Ft. Lauderdale to that port in April 2015...

New Orleans - IMHO pretty unlikely, since RCI is leaving that port, after Serenade's winter season, ending in April 2015...

I think Navigator is in Galveston until at least Sept 2015. I know she is

In May 2015...because we are booked on her. BUT..looking

forward to Liberty next year!!

Oh, sorry, I have confused something.

Yes, Navigator otS is sailing from Galveston up to fall 2015, and Liberty replaced her after her season out of Cape Liberty.

Than Liberty should sail from there year-round.