Double serving of apps?

Gunnerbabe_2003

We've just booked a cruise on HAL. On previous Carnival cruises, I could order two appetisers at supper (two of the same if I liked) on those nights where the main meal didn't really tickle my fancy. Just curious, is this possible on HAL? I'm not a picky eater, and it's definitely not a deal breaker, just wondering if it's an option.

We've just booked a cruise on HAL. On previous Carnival cruises, I could order two appetisers at supper (two of the same if I liked) on those nights where the main meal didn't really tickle my fancy. Just curious, is this possible on HAL? I'm not a picky eater, and it's definitely not a deal breaker, just wondering if it's an option.

Yes you can certainly do that. There are times when I will make a meal of the appies and a salad when the main courses don't interest me. I've also seen people order more than one entree, and desserts too.

Or two mains, or to deserts, never had a problem dong so, they'll also do a larger serving of an appetizer if you want it for a main, and sometimes a smaller version of a main if you want it as your appetizer [though that's often not possible because of the make up of the dish].

Edited by GUT2407

Thanks GUT2407. Often my daughter didn't want to order from the kids' menu but didn't necessarily like the adult main course options (have to admit, a lot of them were bathing in very rich sauces). But there always seemed to be a couple of appetisers that appealed to us. It's nice to know it can work the other way too!

Thanks GUT2407. Often my daughter didn't want to order from the kids' menu but didn't necessarily like the adult main course options (have to admit, a lot of them were bathing in very rich sauces). But there always seemed to be a couple of appetisers that appealed to us. It's nice to know it can work the other way too!

Just as a bye the bye, adults can also order off the kids menu, and sometimes it has better desserts [wonder how I know that].

Welcome to Holland America.

On my last Alaskan cruise (back-to-back), I noted how good the crab legs (two) appetizer was on the second Formal Night. At the end of the meal, I told my waiter that I should have requested three orders. The second week, I requested three orders from my waiter. The waiter delivered a plate heaped with crab legs. When I asked if this was three orders, my waiter held up five fingers and smiled. What a great start to a meal!!

As previously stated, you can order from nightly Main Dining Room menu as well as from a menu that is available every night and as much as you wish.

Here are the daily menus for the day of our first Formal Night (lunch and dinner for both Main Dining Room and Lido Restaurant) in PDF format as an example:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Westerdam-2014-Alaska-Day-01-Formal-Night-01.pdf

Happy dining.

I'll confirm what GUT2407 said, that you can request an entrée portion of some appetizers. I've done it more than once.

You can also ask that sauces be served on the side, or held back altogether.

The stewards will tweak your request to make it the way you want.

Do we have a copy of the children's menu? I would be interested in seeing it. Sometimes I just want something plain when I am on a long cruise.

I know what you mean! You reach the point where you are asking yourself "Do I have to go to dinner again???"

I don't have a copy of the menu but I can remember some of the things on it (I've ordered from it a few times myself. ;)):

Fingers & fries (my personal fav)

Fish sticks

Hot dog

Mac & cheese

Spaghetti & meatball

P,B, & J sandwich

Chicken noodle soup

Although I can't remember anything else at the moment, I am sure there are a few more selections.

Do we have a copy of the children's menu? I would be interested in seeing it. Sometimes I just want something plain when I am on a long cruise.

Here is the scanned Kids Menu in PDF format from our Alaska 2014 cruise on Westerdam:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/HAL-Kids-Menu.pdf

I know what you mean! You reach the point where you are asking yourself "Do I have to go to dinner again???"

I don't have a copy of the menu but I can remember some of the things on it (I've ordered from it a few times myself. ;)):

Fingers & fries (my personal fav)

Fish sticks

Hot dog

Mac & cheese

Spaghetti & meatball

P,B, & J sandwich

Chicken noodle soup

Although I can't remember anything else at the moment, I am sure there are a few more selections.

Thank you, yes sometimes I just want some plain food.

On the flip side, sometimes I will ask for an appetizer portion of the pasta main, to serve as my appetizer for the meal. They are always happy to oblige. :)

That's good to know! I do that frequently on Princess, and I'm glad I can do the same when I try HAL next summer. Any particularly good pastas to look out for? Love the fettuccine alfredo on Princess!

Thanks for the responses AND for the menus! It's really much too early for me to be thinking about details like appetisers, but I find myself daydreaming about the cruise and the ports of call about twenty times a day even though it's almost a year out. To think I wasn't even excited about the prospect of another cruise until we actually booked it ... now I can't stop thinking about it! (So my strategy is to focus on the menu selection to stop myself from going out and buying cruise wear and booking tours this far out!)

Thanks again.

Edited by Gunnerbabe_2003

Thanks for the responses AND for the menus! It's really much too early for me to be thinking about details like appetisers, but I find myself daydreaming about the cruise and the ports of call about twenty times a day even though it's almost a year out. To think I wasn't even excited about the prospect of another cruise until we actually booked it ... now I can't stop thinking about it! (So my strategy is to focus on the menu selection to stop myself from going out and buying cruise wear and booking tours this far out!)

Thanks again.

Its never to early to start day dreaming about your cruise or what you might be eating. I do it all the time.:D:D:D

One of the best aspects about cruising is trying things you wouldn't normally eat. If you don't like a particular dish, you can always get another item. Unlike a land based restaurant, where you are out money if you order something you don't like, a cruise gives you the opportunity to try new things without financial risk. (Your next feeding is probably not too far off in the future, regardless.)

One of the best aspects about cruising is trying things you wouldn't normally eat. If you don't like a particular dish, you can always get another item. Unlike a land based restaurant, where you are out money if you order something you don't like, a cruise gives you the opportunity to try new things without financial risk. (Your next feeding is probably not too far off in the future, regardless.)

And one of the worst things is that there is so much food it can be hard not to put on a lot of weight .:eek:

You sure can - when they have shrimp cocktail I always get 2.